Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Summary of North America Executive class meal service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2014, 5:06 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada
Original Poster

Originally Posted by agjil
I'm a bit confused too.
The cut-off time for the breakfast -> lunch switch is 10:31 am for PLH flights according to Andrew's post on the first page of this thread.
So I'd expect AC1160 to get breakfast, however AC's website says "M" instead of "B" under Meal Service for this flight, indicating it will be lunch.
Fixed. 1031am was the old standard. 1005am departure will get you lunch.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by Andrew Yiu
Thanks for the update Andrew! ^
Old Aug 31, 2014, 5:18 pm

Programs: ACSEMM, WY Gold
YES! Thank you for the clarification and speedy edit on the OP ^
Old Sep 1, 2014, 1:10 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
Premium long haul: YUL/YOW/YYZ - YYC/YEG/YVR, YUL/YYZ - LAX/SFO, YYZ - BOG/CCS/MEX, YVR/YYC - EWR
1000 - 2229: Hot lunch or dinner (appetizer followed by 4 main course choices followed by cookies/ice cream as dessert)
Ohhhhman with AC754 SFO-YYZ departing at 2220, it's cutting it close to the dinner/breakfast cutoff

Although I wonder which I would prefer better, the current dinner option or be awoken for a breakfast
Old Sep 1, 2014, 3:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by agjil
+ 1
I can't remember the last time I saw the snack basket on PLH NA flights.
Interesting. I can't remember the last time I didn't see it on a PLH NA daytime flight.

Originally Posted by maradori
Ohhhhman with AC754 SFO-YYZ departing at 2220, it's cutting it close to the dinner/breakfast cutoff

Although I wonder which I would prefer better, the current dinner option or be awoken for a breakfast
I'd prefer breakfast because there's absolutely no way I want dinner at either 2330 departure time or 0230 arrival time. But I probably wouldn't want to be woken up for breakfast either...
Old Sep 1, 2014, 9:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Lunch is always a better meal then breakfast on a plane^
Old Sep 1, 2014, 9:43 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by why fly
Lunch is always a better meal then breakfast on a plane^
I have to disagree with you, but that's just me . I know I might be alone here but I LOVE the omelette and sausage breakfast dish. I often wish I could have it for lunch or dinner too.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 11:43 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*

I quite enjoy the breakfast as well. Especially on domestic short haul. I purposely try to only catch morning flights when in the YVR YEG YYC triangle just for the omelet.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 12:22 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Interesting. I can't remember the last time I didn't see it on a PLH NA daytime flight.
Haha I guess we were never on the same flight, although my PLH route is usually YYZ-YVR and back, and not the SFO route.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 10:03 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Nitehawk
I quite enjoy the breakfast as well. Especially on domestic short haul. I purposely try to only catch morning flights when in the YVR YEG YYC triangle just for the omelet.
Agreed!
Old Sep 2, 2014, 1:39 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Snack basket offered not once but twice on LAX-YYZ in the last couple of hours of the flight. Was too full to take advantage but others did. (Including "to go". I didn't want to declare "food" on NEXUS, so not me.)
In addition, since I was in the back of J, it gave me a good vantage point to see how the ice cream and cookie clearly brings out the kid in everyone. Big captains of industry and VIPs all regressing to mom's kitchen. Cute.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 5:45 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*Gold), DL, CZ
On my YVR-YYZ 1180 flight the other day, the basket was offered twice as well by the SD.

I declined the bun and butter just so I could fit the cookie & ice cream in. I had forgotten about that offering as most of my travels this year have been overseas or close by (EWR, LGA, ORD, etc.).
Old Sep 2, 2014, 10:16 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
Actually now that you two mentioned it, the snack basket was also offered twice yesterday AC739 YYZ-SFO
Old Sep 3, 2014, 1:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
I have consistently found the widebodies YYZ-YVR (in particular flight 137) not to offer the snack basket.

If you go up and ask a J FA they will dig something out for you, but IME, it is rarely proactively offered

Interesting data point, I found out from an AC source that in J:

1. Provided it's safe to do so, food/beverage service is supposed to begin within 15 minutes of takeoff.

2. Drink service is supposed to be done after breakfast service.

3. SD is to personally introduce themselves to J pax (in particular Altitude members). You are supposed to be addressed by name (at least once) during meal orders.

4. Beverage of choice is to be served within 5 minutes of meal being served.

5. Brevet/nametags must be worn at all times (with the exception of apron, sweater/cardigan)

6. AC puts a lot of emphasis on wanting feedback from those who are 'pleased to serve' vs 'just doing the job'.

7. Transborder duty free shopping supposed to be a personalized experience whereby the SD/FA provides recommendations to you.

8. Water service is to be every 30 minutes (even on redeyes but done in a quiet manner)

9. Cabin crew working in J must wear long sleeved shirts, along with either the jacket or vest

10. Cabin crew are trained on product knowledge of current food/wine and will make recommendations on request ( Premium Rouge YMMV)

11. SD is to come around and thank all J pax (especially Altitude members) for their business and solicit feedback how the service was in a personalized, non robotic manner.

12. FA's are NOT allowed to sleep on any North American flight (redeyes included) or any flight under 8 hours for that matter.

The only time I've had a drink in my hand within 15 minutes of takeoff is on the YTZ-YUL flights. 20 mins+ for rapidair, and 45 mins+ on widebodies/premium long haul.

Last edited by kwflyer; Sep 3, 2014 at 2:46 pm
Old Sep 3, 2014, 2:12 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kwflyer
I have consistently found the widebodies YYZ-YVR (in particular flight 137) not to offer the snack basket.

The only time I've had a drink in my hand within 15 minutes of takeoff is on the YTZ-YUL flights. 20 mins+ for rapidair, and 45 mins+ on widebodies/premium long haul.
I invite you to write to me (or post on here if you prefer not to) on which specific flight you're encountering this. Both seem a bit extreme if it's happening on all your flights. From our audits (and it seems from most of the posts above), the snack basket has been pretty consistently offered but if it's not, let me know so we can understand from the crew why not or if it wasn't boarded by our caterers. The drink service taking 45 minutes to start doesn't seem like the norm so again would like to hear from you if you're encountering that so we can look into. I do a lot of flying on all the routes you mentioned above on a very regular basis (certainly more than most of you I believe) so I have a good idea on weak spots we need to work on but 45 minutes+ for WB/PLH on a regular basis hasn't been flagged to me so let me know next time. Short haul flights taking 20 minutes or so might be due to the fact that we only have a single FA in J and they have to load the hot casseroles prior to starting service - I fly this every week and on average I would say < 10 minutes after seat belt sign is turned off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.