Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Summary of North America Executive class meal service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Summary of North America Executive class meal service

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2014, 8:39 am

Programs: AC SE, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Accor Diamond, Hilton Gold
Warm nuts

Anyone else notice that AC is warming the nuts now in J? They were heated on both my rouge flight from LAX to YVR and my mainline flight from YVR to YYZ. Funny enough I think I like them better cold — when they are warmed they are a little soft and almost taste stale. Guess I will have to get used to them.

Glad AC is trying some new things when it comes to food.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 9:33 am

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, Avis Preferred Plus
I noticed this too on my recent YVR-YYZ. I had assumed it was just the crew trying to be extra nice (they were a fantastic crew)... but I'm glad to see that it might actually be a permanent change. I prefer them warm .
Old Jul 22, 2014, 12:26 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by splicer100
Does anyone know if selecting a special meal through aeroplan's website when making a booking is good enough to ensure a special meal is loaded on the plane? I have usually called in the past to confirm my selection.
Selecting you special meal option on the AP website is not enough to ensure it is "loaded on the plane". There is really not too much you can do to make sure a meal selection is loaded on the plane. SPML is really hit or miss with AC, I'd say on average 20% - 30% of my meals do not get boarded - 50% just for this pas weekend.

If you do not feel like calling in, you can verify during OLCI that your meal request was added to your booking - shown below.

Just make sure you perform the OLCI no less than 19 hours prior to departure. This will give you enough time to call it in if the meal selection was not added to your booking for one reason or another.

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Is it just me or have I never had an issue with getting special meals to show up onboard when I call in and ask...
How often do you fly and how many meal requests do you make a week/month/year? I'd say I have anywhere from 10 - 50 requests per moth on average. On the Rapidair flights it is quite a regular occurrence that the meals are not boarded - and most crews and in-charges don't even know that it is offered on the Rapidairs and don't seem to check the PIL. On my longer haul flights, it seems to be a coin toss if I am going to get it or not. I'd say about 20% of time it is not loaded, of that 20%, I'd say about 50% of the crew weren't even aware that I ordered one.

If I'm running late and I know I will not be able to eat a decent meal before my flight - I just bring my own food - that I know I'm guaranteed to have a fully satisfied stomach!

Last edited by jaysona; Jul 22, 2014 at 12:37 pm
Old Jul 22, 2014, 12:28 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by Benner
Anyone else notice that AC is warming the nuts now in J? They were heated on both my rouge flight from LAX to YVR and my mainline flight from YVR to YYZ. Funny enough I think I like them better cold — when they are warmed they are a little soft and almost taste stale. Guess I will have to get used to them.

Glad AC is trying some new things when it comes to food.
This is good to know, that is one of the things I always liked about AA and the reason why I never have the nuts on AC. I'll have to check this out on my next YVR trip later this week.

I never liked the cold nuts, although on AA they never seemed stale, so it'll be interesting to see if there is any difference between the two carriers.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 2:14 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Simon
The new water (Naya) is *horrific* -- bottled tap water with Dasani was bad enough. Naya simply tastes like bottle.
Completely disagree - I'm glad they got rid of Dasani.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by D582
Completely disagree - I'm glad they got rid of Dasani.
Ditto. Real mineral water, not chemically treated tap water.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 7:24 pm

Programs: AC E50K MM * DL MM * HH Diamond * Marriott Lifetime Titanium * Queen's '92
I'm fine with the _concept_ of Naya, but the taste is of the bottle.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 8:19 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Catering upgrade trans-border

I flew AC 908 recently and was pleasantly surprised to see 3 entrée options now (as recently as April there were only 2 selections trans-border to FLL).

As others have observed up-thread the nuts are now being warmed on ML.

Thanks for the changes AC.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 9:19 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Mainline YYZ LAX cold nuts, LAX YYZ warm nuts -- I think the nut situation is a coin toss. Lots of entrées. No sparkling wine though. I don't know if there usually is, but I had hoped there would be and there wasn't. The SD was generous encouraging me to try both red wines, so I did get a fair nap in!
Old Aug 21, 2014, 11:42 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
No one else seems to be bothered about the oil based balsamic vinaigrette served with every lunch and dinner in J. I swear it was served with a cold breakfast salad in the days when E90 had no oven/microwave. It is not only boring especially if you have it on a domestic leg a few hours before it is served on an International connection, it could be dangerous to your health. They even serve it frozen as they did last December on an OGG/YVR flight. Yes, the FA had to shake the bottle really hard to unfreeze it for some older folks. Can't we have something different once in a while? Most airlines offer a choice. It should not cost any more to have some variety. I asked the Benns about it. Benn L said it will be referred to Catering. Just wish some of you join me in asking for a little variety.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Why should eating two salads with vinaigrette be potentially dangerous to your health?

Personally, I quite like the vinaigrette. IMO AC has two choices:

1) replace it with another dressing - not sure there are any better alternatives out there that appeal to most pax
2) offer a choice of dressings - I think a light yoghurt / herb dressing could work well (have never been a fan of the heavy thousand island or caesar cream dressings served on some US airlines).

If the "petition" is for #2, sure, though personally I think there are more important issues.

On a related note, I have noticed a slight improvement in the bread quality on some flights, but I'd still like to see a larger variety of breads on int'l flights. How about some garlic bread or maybe some focaccia bread?
Old Aug 22, 2014, 12:15 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Why should eating two salads with vinaigrette be potentially dangerous to your health?

Personally, I quite like the vinaigrette. IMO AC has two choices:

1) replace it with another dressing - not sure there are any better alternatives out there that appeal to most pax
2) offer a choice of dressings - I think a light yoghurt / herb dressing could work well (have never been a fan of the heavy thousand island or caesar cream dressings served on some US airlines).

If the "petition" is for #2, sure, though personally I think there are more important issues.

On a related note, I have noticed a slight improvement in the bread quality on some flights, but I'd still like to see a larger variety of breads on int'l flights. How about some garlic bread or maybe some focaccia bread?
I didn't say it is THAT important an issue. I am not even bullish on it as some people are on wine and liquor but they get a hearing. Glad that my issue is so modest. I am all for variety including a light salad dressing. I support the drinkers when they call for change. I don't drink.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Lllahim
I didn't say it is THAT important an issue. I am not even bullish on it as some people are on wine and liquor but they get a hearing. Glad that my issue is so modest. I am all for variety including a light salad dressing. I support the drinkers when they call for change. I don't drink.
How about a joint petition calling for a choice of salad dressing and better quality wines?

Personally, I doubt there will be any major changes in the catering department anytime soon. AC's offering is quite decent (definitely far from the best internationally, but among the better airlines on TATL routes), so I don't think AC intends to focus on that area.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
How about a joint petition calling for a choice of salad dressing and better quality wines?
I support the latter.

As to vinaigrette, I actually like it. It is definitely a better quality product than most commercial dressings, which are all downright crappy.

At home we don't touch commercial dressings; everything homemade.

Coming back to vinaigrette, some time ago they switched to the French A l'olivier brand to a (likely cheaper) Spanish one. I noticed that the French one remained alwast liquid on board while the spanish one would usually be half-frozen. Looking at the contents, turns out the more expensive one uses a mix of olive oil and (I think) canola (or some other cheaper oil). Spanish one is pure olive, hence the freezing.

Not sure really which one I prefer. However if they continue using the current one, some measures ought to be taken to thaw it.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 6:01 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
I really enjoy the vinaigrette, actually, but the salad often is strewn with bell peppers which I can't eat in confined spaces. It doesn't take much to liquify the olive oil. My homemade olive oil vinaigrettes turn solid in the refrigerator (it's not "frozen"). Just hold the little bottle in your hand a few minutes and it should liquify - though I agree they should un-refrigerate it on time in the galley.
I also like the breads but the whole heat-up-the-bread task seems to be too complicated for some crews, and what we end up with is biscotti. Warm = good, overarmed = stale. Like unrefrigerating the vinaigrette, timing seems off for some crews.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.