Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2020, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yyznomad

Get more out of your eUpgrade Credits

Since Air Canada doesn't seem to provide these important links anymore, let us do it for them.
  • Official eUp chart (as of Oct 2 2020)
  • Upgrades can now be requested at anytime after booking (i.e. it can be requested prior to your clearance window).

North America / Sun

International

eUpgrade Clearance Windows

Print Wikipost

FAQ: How to Upgrade on Air Canada

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2020, 10:46 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by JDelux
I've been looking at traveling YYC-DUB....when it's safe to....anyway, I want to use the least amount of credits to upgrade. On AC.com, if you run the pricing search with the u e-upgrade filter on the result shows PE (lowest) and economy Flex fare require the same amount of credits even though PE is a better seat and more expensive ticket.

Does anyone know if this right? or if the credit requirement is for info purposes only?
Welcome to FT

Yes, low Flex and PE Lowest cost the same number of upgrades. It's true that PE is a better seat, but often it's not much more expensive than low Flex.
canadiancow likes this.
Old May 11, 2020, 4:53 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
I've been looking at traveling YYC-DUB....when it's safe to....anyway, I want to use the least amount of credits to upgrade. On AC.com, if you run the pricing search with the u e-upgrade filter on the result shows PE (lowest) and economy Flex fare require the same amount of credits even though PE is a better seat and more expensive ticket.

Does anyone know if this right? or if the credit requirement is for info purposes only?
Remember that you will have a higher upgrade priority when seated in PE, even though the credits required are the same.
Old May 11, 2020, 2:57 pm

Programs: AC-75K, Marriot Bonvoy Platinum Elite
Thanks! and thank you for confirming, I was hoping it was a typo but really good info for me for future flights
Old May 11, 2020, 2:59 pm

Programs: AC-75K, Marriot Bonvoy Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Plumber
Remember that you will have a higher upgrade priority when seated in PE, even though the credits required are the same.
Also something to think about as well, might be worth the extra money for longer haul flights. Thanks!
Old May 11, 2020, 3:07 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Also something to think about as well, might be worth the extra money for longer haul flights. Thanks!
PE is also a lot nicer place to be (than Y) if your upgrade doesn't clear
Old May 11, 2020, 4:07 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Star Alliance - Gold, Bonvoy-Titanium, Hilton-Gold, Avis-President's Club
Eupgrade (PE to J) VS miles redemption (J)

Just wondering, what is better if you plan for vacation way in advanced 9+months whether to redeem miles on PE and use eupgrade to J and keep the miles difference between PE and J, or simply redeem miles on J?

how do you minimize the risk of losing the J seat when time gets closer if you book PE and use eupgrades, and is it possible to change to redeem miles in J at the last minute (only if R is available) from any of your experience?

maybe this is case to case question, but looking forward to what general population is doing.
Old May 11, 2020, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by Flyingbunny88
Just wondering, what is better if you plan for vacation way in advanced 9+months whether to redeem miles on PE and use eupgrade to J and keep the miles difference between PE and J, or simply redeem miles on J?

how do you minimize the risk of losing the J seat when time gets closer if you book PE and use eupgrades, and is it possible to change to redeem miles in J at the last minute (only if R is available) from any of your experience?

maybe this is case to case question, but looking forward to what general population is doing.
You can't eUp an Aeroplan PE ticket, only bid-up and LMU. If you want J, book J. If you want PE, book PE.
Bohemian1 and jasdou like this.
Old May 13, 2020, 2:40 am

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Can someone explain this process to me? Will get P25K from travel at home and this thread doesn't really have a wiki. I normally just book J with cash or miles.

Lets say I want to book YYZ-SFO for July 5 because somehow travel becomes possible. When I use AC search with the eUp filter, it says comfort (K) is 10 eUps, and flex (K) is 10 plus a $175 co-pay. For standard (K) it doesn't show anything.

But this chart (https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ade-offer.html) says 8 for comfort (K), 11 for flex (K) and 11 plus $200 for standard (K). So which is it?

Also, as far as applying these, do I actually have to go in at X days and submit the request or can I just pre-submit it? Lets presume there's R space because nobody is flying for work, will it just instant clear at the X day mark?
Old May 13, 2020, 4:40 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
Lets say I want to book YYZ-SFO for July 5 because somehow travel becomes possible. When I use AC search with the eUp filter, it says comfort (K) is 10 eUps, and flex (K) is 10 plus a $175 co-pay. For standard (K) it doesn't show anything.

But this chart (https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ade-offer.html) says 8 for comfort (K), 11 for flex (K) and 11 plus $200 for standard (K). So which is it?
The link you quote from says these terms apply only until June 30- so Standard wont show up an an option to upgrade for a flight on July 5. If you search before June 30, you should see a different result.

Also, as far as applying these, do I actually have to go in at X days and submit the request or can I just pre-submit it? Lets presume there's R space because nobody is flying for work, will it just instant clear at the X day mark?
You can request the eUpgrade only within your booking window. https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ng-window.html

If you request before the booking window, the system will tell you it is not eligible.
flyquiet and Adam Smith like this.
Old May 13, 2020, 12:39 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Plumber
The link you quote from says these terms apply only until June 30- so Standard wont show up an an option to upgrade for a flight on July 5. If you search before June 30, you should see a different result.

You can request the eUpgrade only within your booking window. https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ng-window.html

If you request before the booking window, the system will tell you it is not eligible.
It says for upgrades requested by June 30, not flights operating up until June 30. The window is 6 days, so I could request on June 29.

Have I just coincidentally picked a flight date that corresponds closely with some change occurring in the eUp requirements?
Old May 13, 2020, 12:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
It says for upgrades requested by June 30, not flights operating up until June 30. The window is 6 days, so I could request on June 29.

Have I just coincidentally picked a flight date that corresponds closely with some change occurring in the eUp requirements?
Requirements have always been based on request date, not travel date. And historically, it would show the current requirements, not what the requirements might be. Though this is all based on pre-Amadeus experiences.

That being said, I'd say this is more likely an error on what the booking engine shows.

Also, the "promo" has been running for years, and is perpetually extended a few months at a time.
Old May 13, 2020, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Requirements have always been based on request date, not travel date. And historically, it would show the current requirements, not what the requirements might be. Though this is all based on pre-Amadeus experiences.

That being said, I'd say this is more likely an error on what the booking engine shows.

Also, the "promo" has been running for years, and is perpetually extended a few months at a time.
Alright. I suppose I could just cancel within 24hrs if I don’t like what I see for the requirement after I book.

Looking at this again though, seems like I should just buy another latitude FP when things settle down and use the credits on those bookings to try to clear before T-48.

Thank you both of you for the help.
canadiancow likes this.
Old May 13, 2020, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
You can't eUp an Aeroplan PE ticket, only bid-up and LMU. If you want J, book J. If you want PE, book PE.
Is there any possibility of getting upgraded on eupgrade on YYZ SFO *AC757 and 758)? Booked X for three pax, lowly P25K. Wondering if I shoudl bother... even upgrading to Premium Economy will be great (for the toddler), so I'm thinking of using 18 eupgrades for the PE seat on YYZ SFO or SFO YYZ. But then, it needs to be upgrade for all three pax which I'm not sure can be done.

Chances are those eupgrade credits will just go to waste..
Old May 13, 2020, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by SkyElite
Is there any possibility of getting upgraded on eupgrade on YYZ SFO *AC757 and 758)? Booked X for three pax, lowly P25K. Wondering if I shoudl bother... even upgrading to Premium Economy will be great (for the toddler), so I'm thinking of using 18 eupgrades for the PE seat on YYZ SFO or SFO YYZ. But then, it needs to be upgrade for all three pax which I'm not sure can be done.

Chances are those eupgrade credits will just go to waste..
Provided that the "promotion" allowing upgrades from X is still running, yes, there's a possibility.

You can upgrade three people, it's just slightly complicated. You can do one who's on the same PNR at the same time as your own, and the other you can upgrade day of travel as a "travel companion".
Old May 13, 2020, 2:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
That's also a route where I've been number 10 on the list as SE, and even on a wide-body there have been times that I only cleared at the gate because of a no-show.

If it must be all or nothing, then your best option is to do the requests at check-in for everyone, since ii's much easier to decline a gate upgrade than one in advance.
Adam Smith likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.