Old Jan 1, 2020, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yyznomad

Get more out of your eUpgrade Credits

Since Air Canada doesn't seem to provide these important links anymore, let us do it for them.
  • Official eUp chart (as of Oct 2 2020)
  • Upgrades can now be requested at anytime after booking (i.e. it can be requested prior to your clearance window).

North America / Sun

International

eUpgrade Clearance Windows

Print Wikipost

FAQ: How to Upgrade on Air Canada

Old Apr 25, 2011, 3:56 pm

Programs: A/C SE 100K(*G), WS Gold, marriott gold, Fairmont Plat, Hilton gold,starwood plat
e-upgrade troubles

I just flew back from BGI-YYZ. A/C usng the old 763, not worth using the credits on this old aircraft. Even the flight crew complains about this bird. I asked at the counter just before boarding for a comp upgrade as an elite member. It was cleared, no problem I thought. Looking on line the rep took my e-upgrade credits for the flight without my authorization, or permission. I never discussed using my credits nor did she mention I would have to use them for the flight. I called A/C they told me to write the customer care dept. Has this happened to anyone? Any advice, or any chance they will reinsate the credits which is what I have requested.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 7:54 pm

Programs: AC*SE
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-GB) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.448 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Originally Posted by meetingup
I just flew back from BGI-YYZ. A/C usng the old 763, not worth using the credits on this old aircraft. Even the flight crew complains about this bird. I asked at the counter just before boarding for a comp upgrade as an elite member. It was cleared, no problem I thought. Looking on line the rep took my e-upgrade credits for the flight without my authorization, or permission. I never discussed using my credits nor did she mention I would have to use them for the flight. I called A/C they told me to write the customer care dept. Has this happened to anyone? Any advice, or any chance they will reinsate the credits which is what I have requested.
Umm did you just ask them to upgrade you because you were elite? There was likely a misunderstanding between what you wanted and what they agent was doing. If you never discussed ecredits, but asked for an upgrade then presumably it would cost you credits. Maybe customer service will be able to do something but from their perspective, you 'paid' for an upgrade and received one.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 8:18 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by meetingup
I asked at the counter just before boarding for a comp upgrade as an elite member. It was cleared, no problem I thought. Looking on line the rep took my e-upgrade credits for the flight without my authorization, or permission. I never discussed using my credits nor did she mention I would have to use them for the flight.
I recently asked a GA if there might be any op-ups on a long haul from Asia (since Y=5 and J=9), and I could tell that the agent did not understand my request and was looking at my buying an LMU or using e-credits. The GA came back and said that I did not have enough credits which confirmed my suspicion. It may be something that anyone asking what they see as a mere question about op-ups needs to be wary of. (And there were no op-ups - the oversell in Y was solved by LMU takers).
Old Apr 25, 2011, 8:38 pm

Programs: United Silver, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by fin 645
I recently asked a GA if there might be any op-ups on a long haul from Asia (since Y=5 and J=9), and I could tell that the agent did not understand my request and was looking at my buying an LMU or using e-credits. The GA came back and said that I did not have enough credits which confirmed my suspicion. It may be something that anyone asking what they see as a mere question about op-ups needs to be wary of. (And there were no op-ups - the oversell in Y was solved by LMU takers).
Does simply asking for op-ups ever work anymore? I would actually hope it doesn't. It was my understanding there is a process in such situations looking at status etc. This would seem most fair, and save agents from constant begging. I'm sure some SE sitting in the back wouldn't be impressed if a P got an op-up because he asked!

Last edited by eyeball1; Apr 25, 2011 at 8:44 pm
Old Apr 25, 2011, 11:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC nadda, DL, WS-Nadda
Following up on the Fin, If you take a LMU at the gate or check in, are you a NO*ML are will you be guaranteed a J meal.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 8:00 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by eyeball1
Does simply asking for op-ups ever work anymore? I would actually hope it doesn't. It was my understanding there is a process in such situations looking at status etc. This would seem most fair, and save agents from constant begging. I'm sure some SE sitting in the back wouldn't be impressed if a P got an op-up because he asked!
There is a difference between asking IF there might be any op-ups overall and my specifically asking for one for me. There is a process and I expect it to be followed, but if one MIGHT be in the offing, I like to hang around if my name is called. And as I mentioned, I only asked because the booking situation indicated an oversell in Y and lots of seats in J.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 8:44 am

i guess OP UP is the last straw!
Old Apr 26, 2011, 9:41 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
Originally Posted by yul36
Following up on the Fin, If you take a LMU at the gate or check in, are you a NO*ML are will you be guaranteed a J meal.
I don't know about op-ups as I've never received one, but all my LMUs have been ML*1 (but I received food every time)
Old Apr 26, 2011, 9:54 am

Programs: ACMM / Altitude S100K / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by maradori
I don't know about op-ups as I've never received one, but all my LMUs have been ML*1 (but I received food every time)
Glad I am not the only one - Op UP is not something that has been in my vocabulary!
Old Apr 26, 2011, 10:47 am

Programs: AC E; Marriott Platinum
LMUs specifically mention that there is no guarantee of an Executive class meal.

Also, a friend of mine is a AC GA and has mentioned that Op-Ups must now be documented (and are investigated) to ensure that there is an oversell situation and there aren't any Shena. N. Gans.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 10:38 am

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Has anyone been able to gate upgrade someone who is not on their reservation, and not one of their nominated upgradees?
Old Jul 13, 2011, 8:39 am

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
I'm using ecredits on a connecting flight for the first time.
Itin is Sat July 16. YVR-YUL, then YUL to LHR. Layover of 50+- minutes.
Called in at 2pm yesterday (T-4days) to updrade the outbound journey, to be told I could only upgrade the YVR-YUL portion and would need to call back 10:25pm EST to upgrade YUL to LHR.
Under the old system one could upgrade the entire journey.

The upgrades did all clear without any issues after calling back at the prescribed time.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 10:27 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by taupo
I'm using ecredits on a connecting flight for the first time.
Itin is Sat July 16. YVR-YUL, then YUL to LHR. Layover of 50+- minutes.
Called in at 2pm yesterday (T-4days) to updrade the outbound journey, to be told I could only upgrade the YVR-YUL portion and would need to call back 10:25pm EST to upgrade YUL to LHR.
Under the old system one could upgrade the entire journey.

The upgrades did all clear without any issues after calling back at the prescribed time.
I want to request an upgrade for tomorrow which is T-4 for me. YYC-YYZ-DCA, so it sounds like I have to request each leg at the T-4 mark and cant get the second leg when the first leg is due? Is it better to call for the request or do it online, or no real difference.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 10:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by DavidYYC
I want to request an upgrade for tomorrow which is T-4 for me. YYC-YYZ-DCA, so it sounds like I have to request each leg at the T-4 mark and cant get the second leg when the first leg is due? Is it better to call for the request or do it online, or no real difference.
makes no difference. probably faster for you to do it online.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 2:53 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, UA zilch, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Presidents
I'm on a yyz-lax flight in a week and a half, W fare class, *gold, sitting in row 35 on an a321.. tried to get bulkhead but it's all filled up. I'd pay for an upgrade if i could, but i can't figure out how to (either $ or miles). united/continental's site won't let me, ac won't let me. is there such a thing?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.