Old Jan 1, 2020, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yyznomad

Get more out of your eUpgrade Credits

Since Air Canada doesn't seem to provide these important links anymore, let us do it for them.
  • Official eUp chart (as of Oct 2 2020)
  • Upgrades can now be requested at anytime after booking (i.e. it can be requested prior to your clearance window).

North America / Sun

International

eUpgrade Clearance Windows

Print Wikipost

FAQ: How to Upgrade on Air Canada

Old Jan 8, 2020, 10:59 am

Just upgraded YYZ-YVR-AKL for my nominee (R space at 7 days on both!). But it has taken 30 credits (they were of course upgraded at different times). Oddly I seem to recall (though it was the middle of the night) that the eupgrade booking page did show 26 total, but it has "held" 4 + 26 and shows the fare + 30 on the booking page. I am thinking it might correct after the flight (I seem to see holds and then debits in my account which looks like 2 charges but isnt really). Not a big deal but if the return clears I would end up using a couple of next years credits.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 11:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by theBeachBoy
I just noticed it takes the same amount of eUps to go from PY (lowest) to J than from Y (Flex V) to J.

I find this inconsistent as the base fare is often significantly higher...
Every intercontinental flight I've paid for in the past two years has been cheaper in N than in V.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 12:35 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE100K, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, BW Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Every intercontinental flight I've paid for in the past two years has been cheaper in N than in V.
I've taken about 40 legs last year (if you consider N and S America different continents) and only twice the PY was cheaper than V.. one of them being on Rouge

I just have bad luck I guess
Old Jan 8, 2020, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by theBeachBoy
I've taken about 40 legs last year (if you consider N and S America different continents) and only twice the PY was cheaper than V.. one of them being on Rouge

I just have bad luck I guess
Mine were mostly Asia. I think one Europe.

Even on UA, I was pulling fare rules for a friend, and with departures on certain days of week, UA R was about the same price as W (i.e. PY lowest was the same as lowest upgradeable Y).

I'm quite happy it works this way.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 2:04 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE100K, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, BW Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Ah mine were all Europe and south america.

Since my travel dates are never flexible it also probably doesn't help to "hunt" for these lower PY.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 2:56 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Hi - I've been trying to follow all the e-up threads since the switchover, but now I'm at a loss, so maybe one of you can help or suggest what my next step is.

I'm flying on Jan. 29th, 2020
AC845 - FRA->YYC Premium Economy Flexible (O)
AC223 - YYC->YVR Latitude (B)

I'm E75K and have 115 credits in my account. The e-upgrade page shows both flights as "Not Available", my understanding is that I should be able to request an upgrade immediately. From checking the seating pages, those flights appear to have lots of room in J (I know the seating pages aren't 100% reliable, but I assume they are somewhat indicative), so I expected to at least be able to waitlist for them. The only other perhaps relevant detail I can think of is that I only made the booking today.

Any ideas? Can anyone check if there are actually J seats available on those flights? Who do you call at AC to find out what's going on?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 8, 2020, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by padawanflyer
Hi - I've been trying to follow all the e-up threads since the switchover, but now I'm at a loss, so maybe one of you can help or suggest what my next step is.

I'm flying on Jan. 29th, 2020
AC845 - FRA->YYC Premium Economy Flexible (O)
AC223 - YYC->YVR Latitude (B)

I'm E75K and have 115 credits in my account. The e-upgrade page shows both flights as "Not Available", my understanding is that I should be able to request an upgrade immediately. From checking the seating pages, those flights appear to have lots of room in J (I know the seating pages aren't 100% reliable, but I assume they are somewhat indicative), so I expected to at least be able to waitlist for them. The only other perhaps relevant detail I can think of is that I only made the booking today.

Any ideas? Can anyone check if there are actually J seats available on those flights? Who do you call at AC to find out what's going on?

Thanks in advance!
From EF, P (for 845) and Z (for 223) are still positive - you'll have to call in and get a knowledgeable agent - you can quote the ACPedia reference as well or get them to have the request sent to NRD for approval:

AC 845 0 FRA
01/29/20 13:30 YYC
01/29/20 14:55 77W
W
81% / 14m J9 C6 D4 Z3 P4 RC O4 E0 N0 Y9 B9 M9 U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 L9 K2

AC 223 0 YYC
01/29/20 17:25 YVR
01/29/20 17:59 319
W,Th,Sa
48% / 25m J7 C6 D4 Z3 P4 RC Y9 B9 M9 U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 L9 K2

where does it say B/Y/O class can be upgraded based on R/P/Z availability?

Originally Posted by Indiavictorcharlie
ACpedia 062523 or 052623. Cross referencing of fares when booked in a lower cabin or something to that effect. Huca seems to be the best bet even when you have the right acpedia reference because there's no guarantee that the agent you get on the phone will make the effort to look up the relevant page.
Also they might have worked at the airport in the past so they can't be wrong.
Originally Posted by Fiveft20
The correct ACpedia is 052623. It seems to take a bit of reading by the agent to get to the appropriate information.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 4:10 pm

Just got off the phone with AC (called the E75K number), after a 20 min wait to answer, the agent agreed that those flights should be available, she didn't know why they showed up as "Not Available" but she blamed the new system. She then put me on hold to call someone else to manually put my request in. When she came back, she then told me the lowest fare in business for both was no longer available, so I would be waitlisted, and now I am waitlisted according to the eup page.

Now reading your reply (thanks yyznomad!) it appears I need to call back to get this confirmed immediately.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Just got off the phone with AC (called the E75K number), after a 20 min wait to answer, the agent agreed that those flights should be available, she didn't know why they showed up as "Not Available" but she blamed the new system. She then put me on hold to call someone else to manually put my request in. When she came back, she then told me the lowest fare in business for both was no longer available, so I would be waitlisted, and now I am waitlisted according to the eup page.

Now reading your reply (thanks yyznomad!) it appears I need to call back to get this confirmed immediately.
This is all the same ticket, right? I did EF assuming it's all on the same ticket... with a cnx at YYC. It changes slightly when treated as two separate bookings (a la two separate one ways on different tickets).

It still shows the same availability as what I posted above.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 4:13 pm

Yes, it's all the same ticket.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 4:14 pm

I couldnt do an upgrade online for my nominee last night, with R availability. It showed the not available message the same as prior to the opening of the window. I was able to call in and have agent do it instantly. This also opened up the capacity to do the second leg online later.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MaxFlying
I couldnt do an upgrade online for my nominee last night, with R availability. It showed the not available message the same as prior to the opening of the window. I was able to call in and have agent do it instantly. This also opened up the capacity to do the second leg online later.
But in padawan's case, R is irrelevant (and is showing as "RC" anyway)... s/he just needs someone at AC who knows what they're doing (that's the difficult part).
Old Jan 8, 2020, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

padawanflyer

223 by itself is showing P0... it's possible the agent is trying to apply the upgrade separately (and if so, it should depend on Z since it's NA)... so it's possible that they are trying to do each flight separately but mistakenly trying to apply P (instead of Z) to 223 because it's still part of an international leg... that's one angle they might take. Just keep pushing. (they should be treating the entire thing like one booking as per my EF output to you - treating YYC as a true international cnx point)
Old Jan 8, 2020, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad
padawanflyer

223 by itself is showing P0... it's possible the agent is trying to apply the upgrade separately (and if so, it should depend on Z since it's NA)... so it's possible that they are trying to do each flight separately but mistakenly trying to apply P (instead of Z) to 223 because it's still part of an international leg... that's one angle they might take. Just keep pushing. (they should be treating the entire thing like one booking as per my EF output to you - treating YYC as a true international cnx point)
I don't think that's true for upgrades. It's each segment on its own.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad
But in padawan's case, R is irrelevant (and is showing as "RC" anyway)... s/he just needs someone at AC who knows what they're doing (that's the difficult part).
My point was just that I had a similar problem with the system not even offering the option to upgrade (I mentioned R just to highlight that the problem wasnt related to the lack of R). I had assumed it was something to with trying to UG a nominee, but seems not.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.