Old Jan 1, 2020, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yyznomad

Get more out of your eUpgrade Credits

Since Air Canada doesn't seem to provide these important links anymore, let us do it for them.
  • Official eUp chart (as of Oct 2 2020)
  • Upgrades can now be requested at anytime after booking (i.e. it can be requested prior to your clearance window).

North America / Sun

International

eUpgrade Clearance Windows

Print Wikipost

FAQ: How to Upgrade on Air Canada

Old Feb 7, 2020, 9:05 am

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
If the upgrade list was cleared at T-24 (as per the transition), how do you get back on it? On AC103 tomorrow (Feb 8) I see one person now who is only on the upgrade list, not stand by and they were not on the list when I checked-in this morning.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 11:18 am

Programs: Aeroplan 75K, WoH Explorist
Originally Posted by TechnoTourist
If the upgrade list was cleared at T-24 (as per the transition), how do you get back on it? On AC103 tomorrow (Feb 8) I see one person now who is only on the upgrade list, not stand by and they were not on the list when I checked-in this morning.
So far for me I've appeared on the list sometime around T-12 to T-10. Twice I had eupgrades that didn't clear and no one showed up on the wait list until about T-12 or so.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 3:54 pm

I am trying to understand the new eUpgrading process, and still confused. I used to be able to use the Air Canada app and check the waitlist for upgrades and most of the time I would see my name on the list. I am a S100 and 1MM if that matters.

Lately(last couple of months), I am noticing that my name is not on the waitlist on the apps. Being an S100, I can't believe there are that many people would be ahead of me on the waitlist. So I want to know if I am doing something incorrect for the upgrade.

For example, this week I am flying YYZ to YVR tomorrow on AC115. I book myself on PE, and last week use the eUpgrade site to waitlist for upgrade to J. Today prior to checking in, I don't see my name on the waitlist on the app. After checking in, I still don't see it. Also, during check-in, I don't see the option to upgrade using eUpgrade credits, only upgrade for purchase. How do I ensure that I am still on the eUpgrade list?

Another example, last week, I was doing YYZ to LAX on the Monday morning flight...This time I was on a Flex Economy ticket, and 7 days before flight, I waitlisted myself. When I check in, I didn't see the option to eUpgrade. When I was at the airport, I don't see my name on the waitlist app, and I didn't get upgraded, while I saw a few others got the green checkmark.

Am I doing something incorrect during check-in that I am not getting on the waitlist to upgrade? Or there are really that many people in front of me that my name don't even show up on the app list?
Old Feb 11, 2020, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Upgrade from Aeroplan PE to J is not possible. This has been discussed periodically over a few threads (albeit, not the easiest to find).
I have a mixed cabin Aeroplan booking where YYZ-YUL was booked into PE and YUL-YYC is in J. I was able to waitlist (no R space) for the PE segment using e-ups?

Old Feb 11, 2020, 11:25 pm

Programs: Air Canada SE /*A Gold, Emirates Skywards Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
To all veterans of the YYZ-YVR shuttle: What are the odds for an E75K booked in Economy flex to find availability to use eUpgrade credits to upgrade to J on the 9 AM B777 from YYZ to YVR (AC105) and 10:20 PM B787 YVR to YYZ (AC126)?

Not looking for an EF search for my specific dates since it's months away, just wondering from those who usually take these flights or fly the routes.

Thanks
Old Feb 12, 2020, 6:34 am

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by Commie
I am trying to understand the new eUpgrading process, and still confused. I used to be able to use the Air Canada app and check the waitlist for upgrades and most of the time I would see my name on the list. I am a S100 and 1MM if that matters.

Lately(last couple of months), I am noticing that my name is not on the waitlist on the apps. Being an S100, I can't believe there are that many people would be ahead of me on the waitlist. So I want to know if I am doing something incorrect for the upgrade.

For example, this week I am flying YYZ to YVR tomorrow on AC115. I book myself on PE, and last week use the eUpgrade site to waitlist for upgrade to J. Today prior to checking in, I don't see my name on the waitlist on the app. After checking in, I still don't see it. Also, during check-in, I don't see the option to upgrade using eUpgrade credits, only upgrade for purchase. How do I ensure that I am still on the eUpgrade list?

Another example, last week, I was doing YYZ to LAX on the Monday morning flight...This time I was on a Flex Economy ticket, and 7 days before flight, I waitlisted myself. When I check in, I didn't see the option to eUpgrade. When I was at the airport, I don't see my name on the waitlist app, and I didn't get upgraded, while I saw a few others got the green checkmark.

Am I doing something incorrect during check-in that I am not getting on the waitlist to upgrade? Or there are really that many people in front of me that my name don't even show up on the app list?
You never see yourself on the waitlist before checking in. The app by definition only shows people on the waitlist who have checked in.

At T-24 the waitlist is not transferring, in my experience so far. Either you clear at T-24 or you try and get re-added.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
You never see yourself on the waitlist before checking in. The app by definition only shows people on the waitlist who have checked in.

At T-24 the waitlist is not transferring, in my experience so far. Either you clear at T-24 or you try and get re-added.
I don't see myself on the app even after checking in....My question is how do I get re-added to the upgrade waitlist, is there something I have to do during check-in? For my flight today, I checked in almost at T-24 yesterday, and on the app, they show the first 10 people on the waitlist for J upgrade. My name is not there, so that was my question, are there really at least10 people that is higher up than me on the waitlist. I guess it could happen. But before the AC switch to the new system, being an SE, I was always near the top of the waitlist, and I just added 1MM this year, yet I am no where near the waitlist.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 8:58 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by Commie
I don't see myself on the app even after checking in....My question is how do I get re-added to the upgrade waitlist, is there something I have to do during check-in? For my flight today, I checked in almost at T-24 yesterday, and on the app, they show the first 10 people on the waitlist for J upgrade. My name is not there, so that was my question, are there really at least10 people that is higher up than me on the waitlist. I guess it could happen. But before the AC switch to the new system, being an SE, I was always near the top of the waitlist, and I just added 1MM this year, yet I am no where near the waitlist.
Glitches that i hope they resolve soon.

I was recently 12th on the list-- way behind my E50K-for-Life Spouse and just behind my no-status son. Concierge could not correct it... I wrote and and got some compensation for it.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 10:34 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Marco Polo
Originally Posted by 42000ft
To all veterans of the YYZ-YVR shuttle: What are the odds for an E75K booked in Economy flex to find availability to use eUpgrade credits to upgrade to J on the 9 AM B777 from YYZ to YVR (AC105) and 10:20 PM B787 YVR to YYZ (AC126)?

Not looking for an EF search for my specific dates since it's months away, just wondering from those who usually take these flights or fly the routes.

Thanks
I can speak for AC126 but I'm just a lowly E50. I usually book 1 week before my flight and I'd say I get a pod 50% of the time. I also usually only fly friday nights on that flight though, but if you use flight pass you can easily see availability for upgrade for each flight each day . Hope it helps!
Old Feb 13, 2020, 12:38 pm

Programs: Air Canada SE /*A Gold, Emirates Skywards Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by jackmeister
I can speak for AC126 but I'm just a lowly E50. I usually book 1 week before my flight and I'd say I get a pod 50% of the time. I also usually only fly friday nights on that flight though, but if you use flight pass you can easily see availability for upgrade for each flight each day . Hope it helps!
Thanks! Does help.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 8:14 am

Programs: AC SE*MM/S100K; HHonors Diamond; a bunch of others at various levels!
Inconsistency in eUpgrade credits needed

Thanks for the wiki post - Enhance your travels with special eUpgrade offers is a most useful link!

However, the "official" Air Canada page (Viewing eUpgrade requirements) posts differing amounts. That is not surprising if the special offers are lower, but in some cases the special offers are higher. For example, I was recently booked on a Canada-US itinerary in Flex K class. The official page indicates that the requirements are "eUpgrades starting at 4 credits" and an add-on starting at $50. However, on the special offers page, the minimum eUpgrade requirement is 5 credits. So how does one qualify for the "from 4 eUpgrade credits" offer on the official page?

These differences burned me recently, as I inquired with the SE line prior to purchasing a ticket about the requirements for a YYZ-SFO flight, and was told 8 credits for fare class K. After purchasing the ticket in Flex K, it required 11 credits when I actually booked the eupgrade. Instead of calling, I should have checked FT first.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 10:48 am

Programs: AC SE100K, *G, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Enterprise Plat
Originally Posted by GJS - yow
The official page indicates that the requirements are "eUpgrades starting at 4 credits" and an add-on starting at $50. However, on the special offers page, the minimum eUpgrade requirement is 5 credits.
Did it also state a $50 add-on for the 5 credits offer? Or was it 4 credits + $50 vs. 5 credits + $0?
Old Feb 16, 2020, 7:30 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM/S100K; HHonors Diamond; a bunch of others at various levels!
Originally Posted by yyckerr
Did it also state a $50 add-on for the 5 credits offer? Or was it 4 credits + $50 vs. 5 credits + $0?
It did not indicate an add-on. Agreed, it is not a head-to-head comparison. However, the official page states upgrades from 4 credits, and there is no way to spend 4 credits on this fare class, as the options start at 5 credits.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 3:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I have a Y-class SFO-YVR that took 1 credit, and a B-class SFO-YVR that took 2.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 10:44 am

Programs: AC 35K, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by jackmeister
Is that 50% based on getting upgrade confirmation right away, or being waitlisted and then upgraded?

Im on the 126 this Friday, N fare, 35k status. Got waitlisted when I tried at the 8 day window. Not holding my breath given the circumstances but would be awesome to get upgraded the first time Ive ever tried

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.