Old Jan 1, 2020, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yyznomad

Get more out of your eUpgrade Credits

Since Air Canada doesn't seem to provide these important links anymore, let us do it for them.
  • Official eUp chart (as of Oct 2 2020)
  • Upgrades can now be requested at anytime after booking (i.e. it can be requested prior to your clearance window).

North America / Sun

International

eUpgrade Clearance Windows

Print Wikipost

FAQ: How to Upgrade on Air Canada

Old Jan 13, 2020, 2:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Yes..
Old Jan 14, 2020, 6:52 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
I was fortunate to get a status match to Elite 50K after Avianca Brasil went bust so I'm completely unfamiliar with Air Canada.

Looking at the My Privileges options, I see I can choose 20 eUpgrade credits in one selection and eight eUpgrade credits for eligible Flight Pass activities. What is the difference between the two types?

Additionally, from reading through this thread and looking at the link in the wiki, it would seem that all upgrades outside of North America require a co-pay in addition to the credits, is that correct?

Finally, I see in that link (with the table of credits required) that there's an asterix that says "Regular eUpgrade requirement". What's regular and what's irregular?
Old Jan 14, 2020, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by danger
I was fortunate to get a status match to Elite 50K after Avianca Brasil went bust so I'm completely unfamiliar with Air Canada.

Looking at the My Privileges options, I see I can choose 20 eUpgrade credits in one selection and eight eUpgrade credits for eligible Flight Pass activities. What is the difference between the two types?

Additionally, from reading through this thread and looking at the link in the wiki, it would seem that all upgrades outside of North America require a co-pay in addition to the credits, is that correct?

Finally, I see in that link (with the table of credits required) that there's an asterix that says "Regular eUpgrade requirement". What's regular and what's irregular?
danger

Regular eUpgrade requirement simply means that the amount is the same as when there was no promotion discount.

International copay is required on the lower coach fares... if you pay, say a Latitude fare (Y or B) for example, then there is no copay.

20 eUps selection means you get 20 eUps added to your account.

The FP activity eUps only apply if you purchase a flight pass product - and when doing so, you are awarded the 8 eUps. For the Unlimited Flight Pass products, the 8 eUps apply on a per month basis, depending on whether you purchased a 3-month or 6-month pass.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 4:06 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by yyznomad
danger

Regular eUpgrade requirement simply means that the amount is the same as when there was no promotion discount.

International copay is required on the lower coach fares... if you pay, say a Latitude fare (Y or B) for example, then there is no copay.

20 eUps selection means you get 20 eUps added to your account.

The FP activity eUps only apply if you purchase a flight pass product - and when doing so, you are awarded the 8 eUps. For the Unlimited Flight Pass products, the 8 eUps apply on a per month basis, depending on whether you purchased a 3-month or 6-month pass.
Thank you for that. I have no idea what Flight Pass is and not being based in North America I don't actually think I'll be flying AC, possibly at all this year. I've built up about 120K United miles but 95% of those have been purchased. Not knowing anything about Aeroplan, I'm a bit lost as to whether or not I should direct my Star flights to that program or keep them with United. Hopefully there'll be some reading material in the welcome pack that'll help me decide.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 7:12 am

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Originally Posted by danger
Thank you for that. I have no idea what Flight Pass is and not being based in North America I don't actually think I'll be flying AC, possibly at all this year. I've built up about 120K United miles but 95% of those have been purchased. Not knowing anything about Aeroplan, I'm a bit lost as to whether or not I should direct my Star flights to that program or keep them with United. Hopefully there'll be some reading material in the welcome pack that'll help me decide.
As far as eupgrades go, you can only use them go upgrade on AC metal. So if you aren't flying AC, they're worthless. Flight passes are essentially packs of prepaid tickets within a region, only good for AC metal. Also only purchasable if you live (or have an address) in certain countries, not sure of you can buy one without a Canadian or US address, I love them, but I fly AC...
Old Jan 17, 2020, 5:21 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Nitehawk
As far as eupgrades go, you can only use them go upgrade on AC metal. So if you aren't flying AC, they're worthless. Flight passes are essentially packs of prepaid tickets within a region, only good for AC metal. Also only purchasable if you live (or have an address) in certain countries, not sure of you can buy one without a Canadian or US address, I love them, but I fly AC...
That's helpful, thank you. That narrows it down to the 50% bonus on partners or lower requal in the first bundle and it doesn't really matter what in the second.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 9:36 pm

Programs: AC E75K, MR/SPG Plat Ambassador, UA G
Been a while since I booked an X class reward fare. Can you no longer eupgrade with copay like the days pre-Amadeus?
Old Jan 31, 2020, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by yyz_consulted
Been a while since I booked an X class reward fare. Can you no longer eupgrade with copay like the days pre-Amadeus?
The promo has been extended for requests made up to and including June 30, 2020.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 3:25 pm

Programs: Recovering long-time AC SE100K (currently E50K), Accor Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
I've been spoiled and haven't needed to use eUpgrade credits for travel recently, mostly ending up at the front of the plane on paid business-class tickets. So I'm a bit out of practice on upgrading. But on an upcoming trip I hope to upgrade from Premium Economy to Business, and I'm finding it pretty tricky to determine in advance the number of credits required.

The "Enhance your travels with special eUpgrade offers" page doesn't indicate the credit requirement for upgrading from PE. (And my ticket doesn't indicate the fare class for PE in any case. I gather it's O, but what the heck AC.)

And for the cases that apply to me, the "Viewing eUpgrade requirements" page lists a minimum number of credits required ("eUpgrades starting at"), but doesn't provide the actual number for specific distances.

I've been staring at this for a long time. What am I missing?
Old Jan 31, 2020, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by CanuckFlyer
I've been spoiled and haven't needed to use eUpgrade credits for travel recently, mostly ending up at the front of the plane on paid business-class tickets. So I'm a bit out of practice on upgrading. But on an upcoming trip I hope to upgrade from Premium Economy to Business, and I'm finding it pretty tricky to determine in advance the number of credits required.

The "Enhance your travels with special eUpgrade offers" page doesn't indicate the credit requirement for upgrading from PE. (And my ticket doesn't indicate the fare class for PE in any case. I gather it's O, but what the heck AC.)

And for the cases that apply to me, the "Viewing eUpgrade requirements" page lists a minimum number of credits required ("eUpgrades starting at"), but doesn't provide the actual number for specific distances.

I've been staring at this for a long time. What am I missing?
You're not missing anything.

If you're booked in O, the actual eUp site will tell you what it costs before confirming it. If you're in E or N, I'm not sure if you can get that far, but we can probably tell you the cost.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 4:39 pm

Programs: Recovering long-time AC SE100K (currently E50K), Accor Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by canadiancow
You're not missing anything.

If you're booked in O, the actual eUp site will tell you what it costs before confirming it. If you're in E or N, I'm not sure if you can get that far, but we can probably tell you the cost.
Thanks canadiancow. I do see that if Im within the upgrade window Ill have a chance to review the number of credits before consenting. But Im astonished that before the window opens I have to rely on the kindness of strangers to tell me the number based on their own experiences. (This sure makes it difficult for us to plan our use of credits optimally for the year.)

So, wise fellow travelers, whats the magic number for YYZ-YVR if Im upgrading from PE to Business?
Old Jan 31, 2020, 4:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
.....So, wise fellow travelers, what’s the magic number for YYZ-YVR if I’m upgrading from PE to Business?
Another way of getting some info is doing a test booking on AC.com. I selected filters for eUpgrades.

I picked a random date and flight on YYZ-YVR. Looking at PE on AC 101.....

Selecting Premium Economy, you can see lowest and flexible.
Yes, I am aware that you can't tell from this page if it's N or E for the lowest, but it's basic info or a start.

CanuckFlyer likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 5:12 pm

Thanks canadiancow. I do see that if Im within the upgrade window Ill have a chance to review the number of credits before consenting. But Im astonished that before the window opens I have to rely on the kindness of strangers to tell me the number based on their own experiences. (This sure makes it difficult for us to plan our use of credits optimally for the year.)

So, wise fellow travelers, whats the magic number for YYZ-YVR if Im upgrading from PE to Business?
If you're not in your window, then it's definitely not O (there is no window for OYB fares).

E and N on YYZ-YVR, as 24left pointed out, is 4.
CanuckFlyer likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 8:11 am

Thanks to all. Im all learned up now. 👍
Old Feb 7, 2020, 8:30 am
zam

e-upgrade calculator

I am sure that there is already a forum for this but I cannot find it. Is there a current AC e-upgrade calculator to see how many credits will be necessary to upgrade for a specific itinerary and specific status?
Also, does a SE100K nominee have the same requirements/window/availability as the SE100K member?
thnx

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.