Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2020, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yyznomad

Get more out of your eUpgrade Credits

Since Air Canada doesn't seem to provide these important links anymore, let us do it for them.
  • Official eUp chart (as of Oct 2 2020)
  • Upgrades can now be requested at anytime after booking (i.e. it can be requested prior to your clearance window).

North America / Sun

International

eUpgrade Clearance Windows

Print Wikipost

FAQ: How to Upgrade on Air Canada

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2020, 10:08 pm

Programs: AeroPlan
Super newbie at Aeroplan seat upgrades

Just found out that it's possible to upgrade your seat using Aeroplan miles! I have no idea how, but that could be a really huge savings for me

Currently in Buenos Aires, about to end 3 months here. Leaving April 7th to fly into Toronto

There is AC93 which is kind of a direct flight (small detour into Chile)

If I book premium economy, how do I use my AE points to upgrade? I'm sitting on about 200,00 of them which I never use because the flights to use them on are never convenient. So this could be a good use of them

Thanks!
Old Feb 22, 2020, 10:16 pm

Programs: AC SE, HH Diamond
Unfortunately only full fare booking classes can be upgraded this way. That would be B, Y, or O.
Here is the link to check if your flight qualifies and has availability.
https://www.aeroplan.com/saua/Upgrade.do#/

welcome to FT
pitz likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 10:22 pm

Rarely worthwhile. As the previous posters stated, basically you have to buy a ticket that would probably cost just as much, if not more than a discount Business Class seat on the same route, *and* you have to have scarce Aeroplan (or Star Alliance-member carrier) reward space available on the flight. An additional twist is that for Aeroplan to process it, such inventory has to be exposed to Aeroplan, which sometimes doesn't happen as carriers selectively expose inventory to each other as a means of reducing redemption imbalances. If you actually can make it work, I'd also recommend buying lottery tickets.

Aeroplan is undergoing some major revisions supposedly in the next year or two that may make using points for upgrades more feasible, but until those are announced, all you can read here is lots of speculation.

Last edited by pitz; Feb 22, 2020 at 11:03 pm
Old Feb 22, 2020, 11:11 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
You're also likely to find that if Aeroplan is allowing you to do an upgrade from PE to J with miles, you could just book the J seat outright with miles, which will likely be better value than purchasing a B/Y/O fare and then spending miles to upgrade.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 1:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 24left
Comfort is higher up the food chain than Flex.
No it isn't.

All it's going to do is reduce the eUp requirement.
Old May 5, 2020, 3:39 am

Programs: AC SE100K
Did AC just drastically increase eUp requirements?

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ade-offer.html

I can’t believe they would double (or more) requirements for any TATL flight... Can anyone confirm?
Old May 5, 2020, 5:24 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Preo

I can’t believe they would double (or more) requirements for any TATL flight... Can anyone confirm?
Sure looks like it to me. A TPAC upgrade for an SE from PY (E or N class) or Y (H, Q, V class) is now 48 credits. It used to be 26.
Old May 5, 2020, 5:52 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP

On the surface it looks like that. However, it looks like the scale of the miles is messed up and that could be an error... I think for the scale of miles on the old chart for INTL flights, the last column was 10,000+ miles (Not 1,500+)
Plus- this links says otherwise https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...calculate.html

A dummy booking for YOW-Europe in October shows 11 credits for Latitude and 21 credits for Flex.

A dummy booking for YOW to ICN in October shows 13 credits for Latitude and 26 credits for Flex.
Adam Smith likes this.

Last edited by Plumber; May 5, 2020 at 7:56 am
Old May 5, 2020, 8:25 am

Programs: AC SE

This is a massive, massive devaluation of the eUp program if true, especially considering the downgrade in service levels in J nowadays and the unpredictability of what the future will look like. I hope this is a glitch that will be fixed soon. I was seriously contemplating participating in the Travel at Home promo to get the bonus eUp credits but if these credits become almost worthless, then why would I bother?
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old May 5, 2020, 8:46 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Plumber
On the surface it looks like that. However, it looks like the scale of the miles is messed up and that could be an error... I think for the scale of miles on the old chart for INTL flights, the last column was 10,000+ miles (Not 1,500+)
Plus- this links says otherwise https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...calculate.html

A dummy booking for YOW-Europe in October shows 11 credits for Latitude and 21 credits for Flex.

A dummy booking for YOW to ICN in October shows 13 credits for Latitude and 26 credits for Flex.
I don't think your link actually helps prove it (it just says "starting at", and those amounts do match the lowest amounts on the other page), but I do think you're right that it's just the scale that's messed up. After all, AC doesn't really have any 0-510-mile international flights, and that would be an awful lot of credits for such a short flight

I spent ages looking for this on the AC site the other day and couldn't find it linked anywhere. How did you find it? Did I miss a link somewhere, or was it an old bookmark (or from somewhere in this thread)?
Plumber likes this.
Old May 5, 2020, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
It looks ot me like AC just screwed up the mileage limits for the International destinations - using the same ones as for North America. they should read 0-4999 miles, 5000 to 9999 miles and 10,000+. the number of credits required (assuming corrected fixed mileage limits) has not changed
Plumber, 24left and Preo like this.
Old May 5, 2020, 10:32 am

Programs: AC SE100K
Originally Posted by The Lev
It looks ot me like AC just screwed up the mileage limits for the International destinations - using the same ones as for North America. they should read 0-4999 miles, 5000 to 9999 miles and 10,000+. the number of credits required (assuming corrected fixed mileage limits) has not changed
We will all pray that this is indeed the case!
Old May 5, 2020, 3:45 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE 100K, NEXUS, IHG Rewards
Originally Posted by The Lev
Lets hope so...unless they plan to start throwing eUpgrade credits at us like penny candy....
Old May 5, 2020, 7:56 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
There must be an absolute W&B tipping point with even the 77x's.

Someone has put some big data crunching into this balance of collecting cash, not cheapening the pods, and not opUpping the totally unworthy. Ergo, error.
Old May 10, 2020, 10:05 pm

Programs: AC-75K, Marriot Bonvoy Platinum Elite
I've been looking at traveling YYC-DUB....when it's safe to....anyway, I want to use the least amount of credits to upgrade. On AC.com, if you run the pricing search with the u e-upgrade filter on the result shows PE (lowest) and economy Flex fare require the same amount of credits even though PE is a better seat and more expensive ticket.

Does anyone know if this right? or if the credit requirement is for info purposes only?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.