Old Jan 1, 2020, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yyznomad

Get more out of your eUpgrade Credits

Since Air Canada doesn't seem to provide these important links anymore, let us do it for them.
  • Official eUp chart (as of Oct 2 2020)
  • Upgrades can now be requested at anytime after booking (i.e. it can be requested prior to your clearance window).

North America / Sun

International

eUpgrade Clearance Windows

Print Wikipost

FAQ: How to Upgrade on Air Canada

Old Jul 27, 2020, 6:10 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Star Alliance - Gold, Bonvoy-Titanium, Hilton-Gold, Avis-President's Club
were you in PE originally with redemption where you were not able to use the eupgrades but they reassigned it anyway? It might be because of covid-19 that they spread the passengers.

Originally Posted by mathemagic
Not necessarily random, but on a recent flight where J was otherwise empty, I and a few others had seats reassigned to J about an hour before boarding. Might have been proactive for weight and balance, or in the interest of social distancing, or some other reason I don't know. Interestingly, on another flight with an almost empty J, the SD picked people out of Y and told them to sit in J after we had all boarded.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by Flyingbunny88
were you in PE originally with redemption where you were not able to use the eupgrades but they reassigned it anyway? It might be because of covid-19 that they spread the passengers.
This was paid Y, no PE on board.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 6:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mathemagic
Not necessarily random, but on a recent flight where J was otherwise empty, I and a few others had seats reassigned to J about an hour before boarding. Might have been proactive for weight and balance, or in the interest of social distancing, or some other reason I don't know. Interestingly, on another flight with an almost empty J, the SD picked people out of Y and told them to sit in J after we had all boarded.
That sounds like most of the W&B upgrades I've seen.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 9:30 pm

Programs: AC75 MM
Originally Posted by canadiancow
That sounds like most of the W&B upgrades I've seen.
i am amazed that a plane that weighs 85,000kg can have its flight characteristics affected by the seating of a few 85kg passengers. Its clearly a real thing, but can someone explain it to me?

Last edited by tomvancouver; Jul 27, 2020 at 9:36 pm Reason: Never mind - I Googled it!
Old Aug 1, 2020, 2:02 pm

Programs: AC SE100, Delta Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, HHGold, Accor Gold.
Originally Posted by MaxFlying
I have used a number of flex FPs mainly on YYC/YVR-YYZ. Agree with strategies already mentioned. I was also prepared (and did on a few occasions) to pay the $50 change fee if upgrade space had disappeared on my preferred flight and also to take connections. Never sat in Y as 50, 75 or SE. (Actually I haven't sat in Y on AC since 2003 and rarely buy J).
If you can be flex in lots of ways, then flex will work.
The biggest challenge I had with lower status was the number of upgrade credits.
Maxflying,

I sent you a pm. Cheers.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 4:37 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
In looking at PLH routes today (transborder and domestic) the eupgrade chart on AC.com says 2 or 4 upgrades depending on fare class etc. Lower fares require more eups nothing new. Routes such as YYZ-YVR, YYZ-LAX.

However, when I do a dummy booking for any of these routes with a latitude fare, website was quoting 10 per sector. Has something changed or is this a glitch?
Old Aug 5, 2020, 9:38 pm

Programs: AC 75k
Was offered instant eUP with 2 credits for YYZ YVR latitude 2 days ago.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 6:30 pm

Can you eUpgrade an award ticket on an AC flight (not codeshare) purchased with United MileagePlus miles ?
Old Aug 15, 2020, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by hoipolloi
Can you eUpgrade an award ticket on an AC flight (not codeshare) purchased with United MileagePlus miles ?
Yes.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 2:27 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Do I understand correctly that if my X-fared Aeroplan ticket is >70% full, then *after* I receive the "would you like to switch to a different flight" email I can get an AC agent to move me into any open Y-space, but the ticket will remain an X-fare for eUpgrade purposes?

...and, as a follow-up, do I understand correctly that it has once again become possible to request an eUp within 24 hours of departure?

What I'm trying to do is move off my upcoming, packed, YVR-YOW, onto any of several YVR-YYZ-YOW or YVR-YUL-YOW options that are O9 N9, and eUp myself and Mrs. YOWgary to PE without co-pay.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by YOWgary
Do I understand correctly that if my X-fared Aeroplan ticket is >70% full, then *after* I receive the "would you like to switch to a different flight" email I can get an AC agent to move me into any open Y-space, but the ticket will remain an X-fare for eUpgrade purposes?

...and, as a follow-up, do I understand correctly that it has once again become possible to request an eUp within 24 hours of departure?

What I'm trying to do is move off my upcoming, packed, YVR-YOW, onto any of several YVR-YYZ-YOW or YVR-YUL-YOW options that are O9 N9, and eUp myself and Mrs. YOWgary to PE without co-pay.
Yes on both counts.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 3:00 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Yes on both counts.
Brilliant.

Is a <24h eUp possible to confirm by phone, or gate-only?
Old Aug 21, 2020, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by YOWgary
Brilliant.

Is a <24h eUp possible to confirm by phone, or gate-only?
If they do a proper rebooking (which I think they always do these days), just make sure you're not checked in, and request it the normal way. If there's space, it will clear.

If you request at check-in, or there's no upgrade space, you have to wait for the gate.
Diabeetus and Adam Smith like this.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 7:48 am

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
Has there been a change to the eUpgrade window for Comfort fares? I was able to upgrade a number of flights prior to the 14 day window.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 8:32 am

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
Originally Posted by EdmFlyBoi
Has there been a change to the eUpgrade window for Comfort fares? I was able to upgrade a number of flights prior to the 14 day window.
Yes, they have gone back to the posted windows when the long running promo ended on August 31st.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.