Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2020, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yyznomad

Get more out of your eUpgrade Credits

Since Air Canada doesn't seem to provide these important links anymore, let us do it for them.
  • Official eUp chart (as of Oct 2 2020)
  • Upgrades can now be requested at anytime after booking (i.e. it can be requested prior to your clearance window).

North America / Sun

International

eUpgrade Clearance Windows

Print Wikipost

FAQ: How to Upgrade on Air Canada

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2009, 12:58 pm

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
Originally Posted by cannon_fodder
Does anyone have any experience successfully using SWU to upgrade a U class fare for the YVR-OGG or YVR-HNL legs of a trip originating/ending at YYZ?
As long as it's AC metal, and as long as there's I inventory, you can upgrade with SWUs at time of booking. If I isn't available you go onto a waiting list which has a reasonable chance of clearing well before the flight date.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 5:11 am

Programs: Alt E50K, Marriott (Gold)
Upgrade Confusion

Hello

Out of the gate I admit to being very confused by the upgrade process. I do apologize if these questions have been answered elsewhere. I have a few questions but first let me say my pattern. I made elite for '09.

I selected 6 SWU, 2 SWU for Flight Pass Activities, 2 SSWU & 4 NAU

I tend to buy Latitude NA Flight Passes.

With Latitude Flight Passes I can upgrade 24 hrs before if available.

Can I use the cert at the time of booking and then if space is available 24 hrs out withdraw the cert and use the comp upgrade instead? If so what is that process?

When flying YYZ/DEN/LAX can I upgrade with a cert (or at all)?

If I book a flight to Spain for the misses (she has no status) and I would we/could we use the SSWU and would that upgrade us on all flights or just one?

Can I see the upgrade option online when booking and after booking?

Can I use certs (still waiting them but the web site says they were mailing Dec 31, 08) that I get soon prior to Mar 1 as I just made elite?

Thanks in advance for your input & help
Old Jan 9, 2009, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75K *G
Do you understand "I space"? Ask if you don't. I'll assume you do.

Originally Posted by croco
With Latitude Flight Passes I can upgrade 24 hrs before if available.
Yes, as long as there are J seats available for purchase.

Can I use the cert at the time of booking and then if space is available 24 hrs out withdraw the cert and use the comp upgrade instead? If so what is that process?
People have reported that you can do this. You would call AC res to request the cert upgrade. It will be confirmed if and when there is I space. If there is J space at -24h, you would phone AC res, cancel your booking, and then use the website flight pass functions to book and upgrade yourself.

This is not foolproof. Availability is dynamic. It is possible for the last J seat to be taken by someone else.

When flying YYZ/DEN/LAX can I upgrade with a cert (or at all)?
You can request upgrades on any AC operated flight that has a J cabin. You can't use upgrade certs on AC codeshares operated by other carriers. If your itinerary is YYZ-DEN-LAX you can upgrade the first segment.

If I book a flight to Spain for the misses (she has no status) and I would we/could we use the SSWU and would that upgrade us on all flights or just one?
You should call her "the missus". A cert can be used for one way travel that can include multiple segments. You can't use one cert for a round trip.

Can I see the upgrade option online when booking and after booking?
You don't actually upgrade when you make the booking. The most you can do when booking is see which flights have upgrade space currently available. After you book you can go to Manage My Bookings, find your booking, and request the upgrade. If something goes wrong you can just call AC res to request the upgrade. There is no fee for this.

Can I use certs (still waiting them but the web site says they were mailing Dec 31, 08) that I get soon prior to Mar 1 as I just made elite?
Certs do not have a "begin" date, only an expiry date. You can use them as soon as you get them.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 10:58 am

Programs: Alt E50K, Marriott (Gold)
Not sure what "I" means.

Thanks for the reply
Old Jan 9, 2009, 11:20 am

Programs: AC 75K
It's always helpful to read the first post of an FAQ thread.

From post #1:

How can I determine available upgrade inventory?
What does "I space" mean?

Air Canada will not simply allow upgrades into every available business class seats at any time. Obviously they would prefer to sell those seats. So the number of upgrades is limited. It is possible to determine if there is upgrade space available on a particular flight.

The first method is to use aircanada.com. When you are selecting flights you can check the box beside Display only fares eligible for upgrade. Enter the number for the certificate you want to use (number are listed above). A blue arrow will appear beside any flight with upgrade space cureently available.

Another method is to use a third party fare class availabilty tool. The upgrade fare bucket for upgrade space is I. (Hence you will often see the phrase "I space".)
Old Jan 9, 2009, 12:00 pm

If this has been answered in this thread, feel free to chastise me.

Are there any free upgrade availability tools? I've been to the KVS site but, at this point, can't justify the, admittedly, nominal fees. And the free demo doesn't help a lot since I need to see how it works with AC flights.

Secondly, how can one see before actually purchasing an AC ticket, exactly what flight code it will be booked under? Specifically, how can I figure out if the flight will qualify for a SSWU upgrade? I still haven't used any SSWU certs from 2008 so I didn't select any for 2009.

I'd be interested to hear if it is possible, even common, for people to book an SWU-upgradeable flight, successfully get the upgrade and then, within the SSWU window, try to book and secure an SSWU upgradeable fare, finally cancelling the original booking. Or, is it that people just gamble that they will be able to use the SSWU certs and if they have to sit in economy, they live with it.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 12:57 pm

Hello

I have been reading a lot here but still do not know - well a great deal, but - what is the difference between business class - executive class and executive first class and what certs can be used for which fares.

I am AP E and fly NA mostly

Thanks
Old Jan 9, 2009, 1:03 pm

Programs: A3 *G, Marriott Plat, AS 75K
Originally Posted by watnek
Hello

I have been reading a lot here but still do not know - well a great deal, but - what is the difference between business class - executive class and executive first class and what certs can be used for which fares.

I am AP E and fly NA mostly

Thanks
for air canada, there's only 2 classes: economy (also known as Y), and business (also known as J, executive class, executive, executive first, executive first suite). It's just the fancy naming convention that AC uses...

as to which cert can be used for which fare, it depends on which class your fare is booked into. for NA flights, generally, SWU can only be used for Latitude, and SSWU can be used for Tango+ or higher
Old Jan 9, 2009, 1:15 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Are there any free upgrade availability tools?
I use this fare class tool with good results.

Or, is it that people just gamble that they will be able to use the SSWU certs and if they have to sit in economy, they live with it.
This is a previously defined term: aerolotto.
--
13F
Old Jan 10, 2009, 8:09 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Seat13F_AC_CRJ
I use this fare class tool with good results.

This is a previously defined term: aerolotto.
--
13F
For domestic or transborder flights, public backup does not show "I" space.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 5:13 pm

Programs: AC, UA
Ok, my knowledge of upgrading just increased by 1000% after reading all 8 pages of this thread. Unfortunately, there are still gaps in my knowledge. I have a few questions.

1. If I am travelling with my wife and 5 year old son and I am looking for the upgrade, can I get an upgrade for a) all 3 of us or are we limited to just 2 upgrades? or b) Can I buy 2 Tango Plus tickets and 1 Latitude, get 1 u/g, then switch BP's with my "no status" wife on board and hang out in Y with my son?

2. I "qualified" for Elite status back in September, but still haven't got the miles to post yet. (Long story, don't ask.) If I get that sorted out before Mar. 1st, will AP still mail me 2008 upgrade stickers? If so, what are some good strategies for burning up all the booty in a couple weeks if I have no scheduled travel by Mar. 1st? It especially seems a waste to let perfectly good SSWU's die without being used.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 5:50 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by canadianpilgrim
Ok, my knowledge of upgrading just increased by 1000% after reading all 8 pages of this thread. Unfortunately, there are still gaps in my knowledge. I have a few questions.

1. If I am travelling with my wife and 5 year old son and I am looking for the upgrade, can I get an upgrade for a) all 3 of us or are we limited to just 2 upgrades? or b) Can I buy 2 Tango Plus tickets and 1 Latitude, get 1 u/g, then switch BP's with my "no status" wife on board and hang out in Y with my son?

2. I "qualified" for Elite status back in September, but still haven't got the miles to post yet. (Long story, don't ask.) If I get that sorted out before Mar. 1st, will AP still mail me 2008 upgrade stickers? If so, what are some good strategies for burning up all the booty in a couple weeks if I have no scheduled travel by Mar. 1st? It especially seems a waste to let perfectly good SSWU's die without being used.

Upgrading using certs is confined to a maximum of 1 companion and/or the passenger with the certs. Therefore, there is no way that you can upgrade both your wife and daughter at the same time.

Switching seats is strictly speaking, not legal. However, if your wife got the latitude ticket, you could legally upgrade her at the time of purchase of the ticket with your cert, without having to upgrade yourself.

I doubt you would get 2008 certs mailed to you in 2009 - however, it is possible that if your E status for Sept. 2008 went through, you might get some extra 2009 certs.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 8:14 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
For domestic or transborder flights, public backup does not show "I" space.
Thanks for pointing that out. I've only ever searched for int'l routes.
--
13F
Old Jan 11, 2009, 10:43 am

When someone is booking a flight online how do they use a cert? If I have NAU, SSWU & SWU at what point can I upgrade? Is there a window of time or can I do it right away? And, when a cert is acknowleged does that mean the upgrade is guaranteed? I have E status an it shows up in AP but I do not see any sign of it when I login to AC. Should I see it somewhere?

I appreciate your help.

Thanks
Old Jan 11, 2009, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by watnek
When someone is booking a flight online how do they use a cert? If I have NAU, SSWU & SWU at what point can I upgrade? Is there a window of time or can I do it right away? And, when a cert is acknowleged does that mean the upgrade is guaranteed? I have E status an it shows up in AP but I do not see any sign of it when I login to AC. Should I see it somewhere?

I appreciate your help.

Thanks
If you are on Latitude fare, you can attempt to upgrade at the time of reservation. You can do this on-line or over the phone to a reservation agent. To do it on-line, you need to be able to enter the last seven digits of the cert you are going to use. On a Latitude fare you can use a NAU (in North America), SWU or SSWU. If there is I space, the upgrade is confirmed, otherwise you go on a wait list that may or may not clear prior to the file being handed over to the airport (24 hours before departure).

If you are on a Tango Plus/Leisure fare, you can request an upgrade when your "window" opens - 7 days for SE, 4 days for E and 2 days for P. Note that this request can be both for yourself and for another person you might be upgrading even if they have lower status than you. gain depending on whether there is I space available, your upgrade either clears or you go on a waitlist. You need a SSWU to upgrade from Tango Plus/Leisure.

You can not upgrade from Tango/Tourist class unless you are lucky enoguh to get an operational upgrade.

24 hours before departure, any waitlist is cancelled and upgrades will be physically done at the gate based on a new waitlist where people are prioritised according to 1) Status then 2) Fare Class then 3) time of check in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.