Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2020, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yyznomad

Get more out of your eUpgrade Credits

Since Air Canada doesn't seem to provide these important links anymore, let us do it for them.
  • Official eUp chart (as of Oct 2 2020)
  • Upgrades can now be requested at anytime after booking (i.e. it can be requested prior to your clearance window).

North America / Sun

International

eUpgrade Clearance Windows

Print Wikipost

FAQ: How to Upgrade on Air Canada

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2008, 6:26 am

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
Originally Posted by Rushfan1
I am SE member and on July 7 I will be flying from MAD to YYZ in class J. My parents will also be on the same flight (they have purchased seats but are not in an upgradeable class but if I understand correctly, that shouldn't matter).

My question is...pending space availability, can I upgrade one of them to Executive First with a SW or SSW certificate? If so, I would certainly let both of them sit in Executive First (my class J and the upgraded one) and take my other parent's economy seat.
Welocme to FT, Rushfan1.

The rules are that you can upgrade a companion on the same flight -- as long as they have an upgradeable fare -- so if your parents are on an L, Q, V, H, or B fare (don't remember about A for MAD), they are eligible to be upgraded with a SSWU. With a U or M you could use a SWU. Strictly, you are only allowed to upgrade one person, but if there was space, and you explained it was your parents, it might be possible to u/g them both.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 7:05 am

Hello,

Found this site via Google. My wife and I are flying from Canada to Zurich.

We have not paid for these flights, they were booked Economy and paid for by a Canadian company, flight fare says Corp after it.

I believe we're Fare H.

Do we have any shot of an upgrade besides simply paying?]
Ticket was booked through TTI Canada

Thanks in advance. I'm not holding my breath but it's always worth asking.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 7:42 am

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
Welcome to FT, swisscheese.

You don't provide any information about your status with AC, which will determine whether you can upgrade. An H fare would allow you to upgrade using Special Systemwide Upgrade certificates, but you would need to be Elite or SuperElite and you would have received the (personalized) certs as part of your package. Failing that you would not be able to upgrade.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by Academic
Welcome to FT, swisscheese.

You don't provide any information about your status with AC, which will determine whether you can upgrade. An H fare would allow you to upgrade using Special Systemwide Upgrade certificates, but you would need to be Elite or SuperElite and you would have received the (personalized) certs as part of your package. Failing that you would not be able to upgrade.

I left it out because I am not a member of aeroplan at all.
I was wondering if there is any way since a large Canadian company booked this, I might be eligible for some upgrade status...which I imagine has some elite or super elite status,

But since the certs must be personalized, it seems I may be riding economy :-)
Old Jun 25, 2008, 8:43 am

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Most corp contracts that I know of specify price breaks and not upgrades. The fact that your ticket was booked & paid for by a Canadian company likely does not increase your chances for upgrade. As Academic points out, it's really more a function of fare class and certificate you use.

As you are not an Aeroplan Elite or SuperElite member, I don't think you'll be able to upgrade short of paying the fare difference. You should however be able to collect the points assuming you are somehow associated with *A.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by RCyyz
Most corp contracts that I know of specify price breaks and not upgrades. The fact that your ticket was booked & paid for by a Canadian company likely does not increase your chances for upgrade. As Academic points out, it's really more a function of fare class and certificate you use.

As you are not an Aeroplan Elite or SuperElite member, I don't think you'll be able to upgrade short of paying the fare difference. You should however be able to collect the points assuming you are somehow associated with *A.

So I guess if I want to fly first class, I'll have to ponny up the big bucks.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 10:08 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by ACxxxxxxHI
We're not allowed to give out complimentary upgrades unless there is a request from AC Management or if we're dealing with a over-sold aircraft. And even then, passengers who we'll move up to Executive Class first are those SE/E who are wait listed with U/G certs. If there are no U/G certs wait listed, then we'll start complimentary upgrading SE & E passengers based on their priority.
Thanks for the information, ACxxxxxxHI!

However, what is the policy with regard to Star Alliance status pax - especially *G?

Is it true that AC doesn't upgrade them at all, and treats them as non-status pax for upgrades?

TIA!
Old Jul 24, 2008, 7:33 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Certificates valid on Q fare?

I'm booked from FLL-YVR in October; booking was done by a cruise line. Upgrade certificates say they are valid anytime on a Y,M or U fare.
I asked an AC agent about the fare class and upgrade elligibility, was told that it is booked as a Q fare, so certificates are valid four days out, even though it doesn't show on the certificate.

Can anyone confirm this?

Thx.
Old Jul 24, 2008, 7:56 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Originally Posted by Sopwith
I'm booked from FLL-YVR in October; booking was done by a cruise line. Upgrade certificates say they are valid anytime on a Y,M or U fare.
I asked an AC agent about the fare class and upgrade elligibility, was told that it is booked as a Q fare, so certificates are valid four days out, even though it doesn't show on the certificate.

Can anyone confirm this?

Thx.
You will need an SSWU to upgrade this. As an E, you can upgrade if I seats are available 4 days before the flight
Old Jul 24, 2008, 8:42 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Originally Posted by jarusoba
You will need an SSWU to upgrade this. As an E, you can upgrade if I seats are available 4 days before the flight
I guess that makes sense. Alas, I don't have any SSWUs, so I didn't think of that option.

Thanks.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 4:07 pm

Programs: AC*SE, NWA, Alaska
Upgrade?

Taking my 7 year old to see g'ma in PRG in 10 days. Bought AC Q class YLW-YYC-FRA-PRG and W return. I am Elite. Have 2 "Special system wide" certificates. Q: Not sure what W class is and if any strategies for upgrade recommended. Thanks.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 7:24 pm

Programs: Various airline, hotel and credit card programs
Originally Posted by CzechOut
Taking my 7 year old to see g'ma in PRG in 10 days. Bought AC Q class YLW-YYC-FRA-PRG and W return. I am Elite. Have 2 "Special system wide" certificates. Q: Not sure what W class is and if any strategies for upgrade recommended. Thanks.
AC Q is eligible for an upgrade with SSWU within your 4 day window.
W is probably LH fare class, AC uses W for Aeroplan rewards in economy.
Did you buy your ticket on expedia or similar? They offer such combinations.
If that is the case (LH codeshare on AC metal) you can usually upgrade only at the gate.

Enjoy PRG, the weather is still good.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 10:41 pm

Programs: AC*SE, NWA, Alaska
Thanks, Vasku.
Bought tx via Uniglobe agent. Will be on the phone Sep 8th at 12:01am...
Old Oct 19, 2008, 9:01 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
We flew U fare on PEK-YYZ route last week. We confirmed the upgrade when we bought our tickets long time ago.

At check-in, the agent gave us BPs in J.

At the gate, we handed in the BPs and SWUs. But the GA refused to lift the SWUs.

Anyone knows what happened? Was it just the GA or could it be something else the check-in agent did or didn't do? Or were we just lucky?

I am just wondering if there has been any case where the GA won't lift the precious SSWUs at boarding...
Old Oct 19, 2008, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jarusoba
We flew U fare on PEK-YYZ route last week. We confirmed the upgrade when we bought our tickets long time ago.

At check-in, the agent gave us BPs in J.

At the gate, we handed in the BPs and SWUs. But the GA refused to lift the SWUs.

Anyone knows what happened? Was it just the GA or could it be something else the check-in agent did or didn't do? Or were we just lucky?
I have had this happen also. Possibly operational upgrade?

But also sometimes, same thing but the agent takes the certificate.

So, bottom line, just take it as it come and don't ask. Not that it matters, since I'll end the year with quite a few more certs than needed. Maybe that's why they don't reaally care?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.