Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2020, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yyznomad

Get more out of your eUpgrade Credits

Since Air Canada doesn't seem to provide these important links anymore, let us do it for them.
  • Official eUp chart (as of Oct 2 2020)
  • Upgrades can now be requested at anytime after booking (i.e. it can be requested prior to your clearance window).

North America / Sun

International

eUpgrade Clearance Windows

Print Wikipost

FAQ: How to Upgrade on Air Canada

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2010, 9:07 pm

Programs: AC E, UA Gold
I'm an E and waitlisted for AC15 (YYZ-HKG), Feb/13. The agent told me if it's not cleared before check-in opens, I have to re-request. To my surprise, I was advised not do OLCI. Instead, I should check-in at the airport as early as possible and request upgrade then.

Because I have a connecting flight to SIN on AC6301. SQ agent told me that I won't be able to select my seat until check-in. Therefore, considering HKG time is 13 hrs ahead of YYZ, I'd like to do OLCI with AC and select my seat on the SQ operated AC6301. Now I'm a bit confused whether to do OLCI or not. My first goal is to get upgraded on AC15. Any advice? Thanks.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75K *G
Originally Posted by achman228
I'm an E and waitlisted for AC15 (YYZ-HKG), Feb/13. The agent told me if it's not cleared before check-in opens, I have to re-request. To my surprise, I was advised not do OLCI. Instead, I should check-in at the airport as early as possible and request upgrade then.

Because I have a connecting flight to SIN on AC6301. SQ agent told me that I won't be able to select my seat until check-in. Therefore, considering HKG time is 13 hrs ahead of YYZ, I'd like to do OLCI with AC and select my seat on the SQ operated AC6301. Now I'm a bit confused whether to do OLCI or not. My first goal is to get upgraded on AC15. Any advice? Thanks.
You should try to do OLCI as early as possible. Sometimes you can't until all flights are within 24 hours or so of departure. So keep trying, and if all else fails get to the airport early.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 6:22 am

Programs: AC SE
Question SSWU for Companion

This is a different scenario that I am not clear on.
I am flying on a J reward ticket YUL-YYZ-POP.
I want to use a SSWU to upgrade a friend who is flying on the YYZ-POP leg.
The back of the certificate states "....... OR by one travelling companion who must travel on the same flight as the member designated on the on the certificate.....".
A couple of questions:
1) Can it be done -as we are not on exactly the same flights- only the YYZ - POP leg?
2) I will meet the friend in the MLL - but I will have the certificate. Will he be permitted to check-in without physically having the certificate?
3) Do I request the upgrade or can the passenger do it on line?
Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Joe
Old Feb 10, 2010, 8:17 am

Programs: AC E

I recently went through this and the reality turned out to be different to what I expected and what phone agents at both AC and SQ (AC 6301) told me. I was waitlisted for the upgrade on AC 15 and it did not clear before OLCI opened for AC 15. Right at the 24 hour OLCI mark, I was able to complete OLCI for BOTH AC 15 and AC 6031 (SQ 861). I think this was because SQ does seating at 48 hours even if it does not show on their website (using the SQ booking reference) and even though the abysmally pathetic SQ phone agents said it would not happen (I use those terms advisedly - SQ might have brilliant service in the air but their phone staff are like talking to a brick wall).

When doing OLCI, click on the request upgrade button which as I recall, is right on the first page.

HOWEVER, after all that, my upgrade cleared after OLCI and before Aerolotto kicked in. I found that out by keeping an eye on "My Bookings" on the AC website. I had a new BP printed in the MLL.

I am still waiting for my Aeroplan points from SQ - I am unable to determine if they just did not post or the fare (AC Tango Plus "L") qualifies or not, so I will send in the BP to AE and see what happens.

And enjoy the ride on the A380 - quiet and smooth until landing, and if you are over the wheels on the lower deck - you'll hear it!
Old Feb 10, 2010, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by jmolony
This is a different scenario that I am not clear on.

1) Can it be done -as we are not on exactly the same flights- only the YYZ - POP leg?
2) I will meet the friend in the MLL - but I will have the certificate. Will he be permitted to check-in without physically having the certificate?

Joe
1) For YYZ-POP you are on the same flight

2) Probably. He just needs to explain that the SE with the cert is connecting at YYZ and that he is going to meet post security.

3) I think you need to call in otherwise how will there be verification that he is actually travelling with a status companion?
Old Feb 10, 2010, 9:13 am

deleted.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 4:09 pm

Programs: AC E, UA Gold
Originally Posted by LRESFG
I recently went through this and the reality turned out to be different to what I expected and what phone agents at both AC and SQ (AC 6301) told me. I was waitlisted for the upgrade on AC 15 and it did not clear before OLCI opened for AC 15. Right at the 24 hour OLCI mark, I was able to complete OLCI for BOTH AC 15 and AC 6031 (SQ 861). I think this was because SQ does seating at 48 hours even if it does not show on their website (using the SQ booking reference) and even though the abysmally pathetic SQ phone agents said it would not happen (I use those terms advisedly - SQ might have brilliant service in the air but their phone staff are like talking to a brick wall).

When doing OLCI, click on the request upgrade button which as I recall, is right on the first page.

HOWEVER, after all that, my upgrade cleared after OLCI and before Aerolotto kicked in. I found that out by keeping an eye on "My Bookings" on the AC website. I had a new BP printed in the MLL.

I am still waiting for my Aeroplan points from SQ - I am unable to determine if they just did not post or the fare (AC Tango Plus "L") qualifies or not, so I will send in the BP to AE and see what happens.

And enjoy the ride on the A380 - quiet and smooth until landing, and if you are over the wheels on the lower deck - you'll hear it!
Thanks for sharing your experience on the same journey I'm about to take. So I guess I need to ignore AC agent's advice and proceed with OLCI. Hopefully I'll be as lucky as you are to get the upgrade. I have never flown SQ before and am looking forward its service on A380. BTW, why did you print your BP in the MLL? Didn't the check-in or the bag drop-off counter print it for you?
Old Feb 10, 2010, 7:26 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K; Marriott Titanium; NEXUS
Originally Posted by jmolony

They can check in, but the upgrade with certificate doesn't get them access to the MLL. The have to have status or be with you.

I would call if I were you just in case there is an issue.

Last edited by YQMer; Feb 10, 2010 at 7:27 pm Reason: .
Old Feb 11, 2010, 7:02 am
Company Representative - Air Canada

BTW, why did you print your BP in the MLL? Didn't the check-in or the bag drop-off counter print it for you?
His scenario is different than yours. What happened was that his upgrade cleared after he has checked in for the flight in Y; he noticed it while he was in the MLL so the agent simply offloaded him from his Y seat and rechecked him in for J.

You won't have any issues in your case, both certs (for yourself and your friend) will be lifted in YYZ. He can check in like usual and because he is in Y for YUL-YYZ, the prompt asking for the agent to lift the UG cert will be on the YYZ-POP flight. You can't do his upgrade online because he's not on the same file as you (given different originating file), you'll have to call in.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 4:50 pm

Programs: E50 MM
Assuming R space is available (I'm not sure why R class is not even shown YYZ/YVR/ICN on April 21), can an SE along with the companion SSWU upgrade occur at the same time 7 days prior? That companion happens to be my mother. Assuming J is available at check in/boarding, any chance that they would allow me to have an additional companion (father) upgraded using the third SSWU (I realize 2 is the limit)? If not and I get a total of 2 in J with 1 in Y, I will obviously be the one sitting in Y.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rushfan1
Assuming R space is available (I'm not sure why R class is not even shown YYZ/YVR/ICN on April 21), can an SE along with the companion SSWU upgrade occur at the same time 7 days prior? That companion happens to be my mother. Assuming J is available at check in/boarding, any chance that they would allow me to have an additional companion (father) upgraded using the third SSWU (I realize 2 is the limit)? If not and I get a total of 2 in J with 1 in Y, I will obviously be the one sitting in Y.
Looks like there is R availability on 63 April 21.

If there is only one seat at the seven days window, upgrade your mother first.

As to a third person, it's against the rules. But it does not hurt to ask. If there were empty seats...
Old Mar 22, 2010, 10:13 am

Programs: E50 MM
Originally Posted by Stranger
Looks like there is R availability on 63 April 21.

If there is only one seat at the seven days window, upgrade your mother first.

As to a third person, it's against the rules. But it does not hurt to ask. If there were empty seats...
Thank you Stranger. This is what I got when I checked fare class availability using the following site http://publicbackup.com/shared/flyertalk/availability/:

J9 C9 D9 Z9 Y9 B9 M9 U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 S0 L0 K0 N0 G0 P0 T0 E0

That is the reason for my confusion, I saw no reference at all to R. Did you use a different site or is there something above that I am missing?
Old Mar 22, 2010, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rushfan1
Thank you Stranger. This is what I got when I checked fare class availability using the following site http://publicbackup.com/shared/flyertalk/availability/:

J9 C9 D9 Z9 Y9 B9 M9 U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 S0 L0 K0 N0 G0 P0 T0 E0

That is the reason for my confusion, I saw no reference at all to R. Did you use a different site or is there something above that I am missing?
I just used aircanada.com.

Interesting that on the icn and other Asian routes that site does no longer show R.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 4:25 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K; Marriott Titanium; NEXUS
Seems wide open now...

[KVS Availability Tool 5.4.0/Diamond - Galileo: Availability/ETR/JP]
Code:
YYZ  Toronto Pearson Int'l ON CA [CYYZ]
YVR  Vancouver Metro / Vancouver Int'l BC CA = YVR CXH [CYVR]
WED  21 Apr 2010

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  ------------
AC         25      YYZ   09:00     YVR   10:50     77W  0   Y9 J9 R9
AC         63      YYZ   08:00     YVR   09:57     763  0   Y9 J9 R9
[KVS Availability Tool 5.4.0/Diamond - Galileo: Availability/ETR/JP]
Code:
YVR  Vancouver Metro / Vancouver Int'l BC CA = YVR CXH [CYVR]
ICN  Seoul Incheon Int'l KR
WED  21 Apr 2010

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  ------------
AC         63      YVR   12:00     ICN   15:15 +1  763  0   Y9 J9 R8
Old Mar 22, 2010, 4:25 pm

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
I use seatcounter.com Works like a charm! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.