Old Jan 1, 2020, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yyznomad

Get more out of your eUpgrade Credits

Since Air Canada doesn't seem to provide these important links anymore, let us do it for them.
  • Official eUp chart (as of Oct 2 2020)
  • Upgrades can now be requested at anytime after booking (i.e. it can be requested prior to your clearance window).

North America / Sun

International

eUpgrade Clearance Windows

Print Wikipost

FAQ: How to Upgrade on Air Canada

Old Dec 28, 2009, 5:03 pm

Programs: AC*75K, Hhonors Diamond
Originally Posted by rpeatt
Think I'll have more luck being honest about it, or more luck taking my chances with the gate agent and OLCI?

This was an honest mistake, but I don't want to make a scene. I'll be reasonable about it, I just hope they are too
Well I requested the upgrade online and it was confirmed and I was given an exec seat assignment. Now we'll see if they let me use it at the gate. The office manager is not going to hear the end of this when I get back!!
Old Dec 28, 2009, 10:06 pm

Programs: AC*E, Airmiles Onyx (reluctantly), Marriott Titanium, IHG PC Platinum
Originally Posted by rpeatt
Well I requested the upgrade online and it was confirmed and I was given an exec seat assignment. Now we'll see if they let me use it at the gate. The office manager is not going to hear the end of this when I get back!!
Anyone can request the upgrade online, it is the same SWU and SSWU upgrade codes for everyone, it's more a question of being able to use it at check-in or the gate.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 4:41 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Zorn: thank you for updating with the 2010/11 cert numbers. I bought latitude YOW-FRA today for March and was able to upgrade immediately thanks to you updating this thread.

(Now I just hope our Feb upgrade using the SSWU will clear!)
Old Jan 2, 2010, 10:03 am

SWU/SSWU on AC/SIA Latitude Fare

Thinking of doing a route that is YEG-YVR-HKG-SIN on a latitude fare. The YEG-YVR-HKG is on AC but the HKG-SIN is on Singapore Air (a380). Couple questions:
  • If I book the latitude fare, I should be able to confirm upgrade at time of booking, If so, does that include the Singapore Air leg as well?
  • If the Singapore Air leg is okay for upgrade, I assume it would be to the business class seats? That is, not the First suites. Any experience with this?
  • Right now AC.com only shows latitude and exec first fares for my planned date of travel (June22). Any idea why that would be when flight availability shows seats available in all classes?

Any advice on confirming an upgrade on a flight like would be much appreciated!
Old Jan 2, 2010, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75K *G
Originally Posted by quank
[*]If I book the latitude fare, I should be able to confirm upgrade at time of booking, If so, does that include the Singapore Air leg as well?
There is no way to upgrade on flights operated by other airlines using Air Canada upgrade instruments or AP miles.

Your upgrade will be confirmed on AC metal only.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by quank
Thinking of doing a route that is YEG-YVR-HKG-SIN on a latitude fare. The YEG-YVR-HKG is on AC but the HKG-SIN is on Singapore Air (a380). Couple questions:
  • If I book the latitude fare, I should be able to confirm upgrade at time of booking, If so, does that include the Singapore Air leg as well?
  • If the Singapore Air leg is okay for upgrade, I assume it would be to the business class seats? That is, not the First suites. Any experience with this?
  • Right now AC.com only shows latitude and exec first fares for my planned date of travel (June22). Any idea why that would be when flight availability shows seats available in all classes?

Any advice on confirming an upgrade on a flight like would be much appreciated!
the website will only allow you to confirm AC operated segments only. Nice try. Dreamful thought!
Old Jan 2, 2010, 3:12 pm

I called in yesterday to upgrade a domestic flight and was upgraded on spot, but realized after they didn't even bother asking the cert code or which one I was using. I guess it makes sense since I can use any of them right now, but am a bit surprised that they didn't even check (or they figure most people have dozens of NAU and SWU's sitting around).
Old Jan 2, 2010, 4:09 pm

i believe they just set upgrade or not to upgrade.... will be up to the gate agent to enforce......

the cert code key-in at aircanada.com is for the passengers to know what they can or cannot upgrade......
Old Jan 2, 2010, 4:10 pm

That makes sense as I'm used to upgrading online, but still am surprised to not even get a "which cert are you planning on using"?
Old Jan 10, 2010, 8:26 pm

Programs: AC*SE
Quick question - upgrade 7day *SE window based on first segment or final segment?

I have an all-AC-metal flight coming up: LAX-YYZ departing Feb10 at 10:30pm, which gets into YYZ early am of Feb11 and connects to a YYZ-HKG flight. Am I technically supposed to call at 12:01am PST on Feb3rd (coinciding with LAX time), or 12:01am PST on Feb4th, or 12:01am EST on Feb4th (conciding with YYZ time)? I couldn't figure it out from the faq... thanks!
Old Jan 10, 2010, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by timriley12
I have an all-AC-metal flight coming up: LAX-YYZ departing Feb10 at 10:30pm, which gets into YYZ early am of Feb11 and connects to a YYZ-HKG flight. Am I technically supposed to call at 12:01am PST on Feb3rd (coinciding with LAX time), or 12:01am PST on Feb4th, or 12:01am EST on Feb4th (conciding with YYZ time)? I couldn't figure it out from the faq... thanks!
I think the answer is none of the above.

12:01 am EST on the 3rd.

You leave on the 10th, 7 days before is the 3rd. 12:01 am EST has been the time I've usually had success calling in.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 10:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
call the SE ladies.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 12:39 am

Yikes, hadn't thought of that option. But the FAQ at the top of the thread states that the rule, in general is: "The relevant time zone is the one corresponding to the flight departure. So, if the flight leaves from YYZ, you can call at midnight YYZ-time." Since I start my journey on Air Canada departing from LAX, wouldn't I have to wait until 12:01am PST on July 3rd? If we were going by the connecting segment out of YYZ, it would be EST but then they could argue I should wait until July 4th because the YYZ departure is on the next calendar day..? Sounds like I might have to give the SE* desk a call...

Originally Posted by YEG USER
I think the answer is none of the above.

12:01 am EST on the 3rd.

You leave on the 10th, 7 days before is the 3rd. 12:01 am EST has been the time I've usually had success calling in.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 1:01 am

OK, I just called the *SE desk - the SE lady's interpretation is that I should call at 12:01am on Feb3/10 (7 days before my first segment out of LAX). Although my connecting flight out of YYZ is on the next calendar day, she would be able to upgrade the whole itinerary. I guess that would technically put me at an advantage given that a *SE starting in Toronto and flying the YYZ-HKG would have to wait until Feb4/10 or 7 days before the Feb11/10 departure of the YYZ-HKG flight. When I asked her if I should call at 12:03am PST or EST, she chuckled and said that that was open to debate among the SE agents. Her personal interpretation would be that it ought to be in the timezone of the departure city so that would be PST. I guess to play it safe I should call at EST anyways to try!
Old Jan 11, 2010, 8:43 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K; Marriott Titanium; NEXUS
I guess to play it safe I should call at EST anyways to try!
Worth a try for sure.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.