Old Jan 1, 2020, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yyznomad

Get more out of your eUpgrade Credits


Since Air Canada doesn't seem to provide these important links anymore, let us do it for them.
  • Official eUp chart (as of Oct 2 2020)
  • Upgrades can now be requested at anytime after booking (i.e. it can be requested prior to your clearance window).

North America / Sun


International


eUpgrade Clearance Windows


Print Wikipost

FAQ: How to Upgrade on Air Canada

Old Jul 19, 2010, 7:38 pm
  #256  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1
Wanted to upgrade YYZ-GVA

I was hoping to do a LMUP for a YYZ-GVA flight tomorrow eve (it stops over in Montreal so I waited to check in until 24 hours after the stopover) -- anyways, there were no LMUPs offered. Too bad but think it is odd given it looks like there are about 10 seats open in business class and the economy only looks to have about 4 left. I'm in my first trimester and could use a good nights sleep.

Is there another cutoff time when I should go back to re-check or is YYZ-GVA (not a codeshare) not usually a flight where LMUP are offered?

Thanks for your advice.
dehydrated is offline  
Old Jul 19, 2010, 8:07 pm
  #257  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: YOW
Programs: AC E75K *G
Posts: 7,128
Originally Posted by dehydrated
Is there another cutoff time when I should go back to re-check or is YYZ-GVA (not a codeshare) not usually a flight where LMUP are offered?
An LMUP could be offered at any moment, or not at all.

I would suggest getting a good night sleep tonight and check a few times tomorrow during the day!
zorn is offline  
Old Jul 28, 2010, 9:18 am
  #258  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 8
Am I eligible for an upgrade?

I have been looking around on this forum but I have not found anything similar to my situation.

I am looking for advice whether it would be possible to be upgraded from economy to executive class for free. Here are the particulars:

- I am an Aeroplan member (no status) as well as a Dividend Miles (US Airways) member.
- My wife is not a member of either plan.
- In February 2010 I booked YYZ-BGI round trip using Aeroplan miles (40,000) for my wife to travel in December 2010/January 2011.
- In February 2010 I booked YYZ-BGI round trip using Dividend miles (35,000) for myself on the same Air Canada flights as my wife.

Is it possible for one or both of us to get a free upgrade from economy to executive class? What would be the best way to go about it?

Looking at Air Canada's seat map, currently 14/14 seats are available on the way down and 8/14 available on the way back. There are actually 2 flights on the days we are travelling, but the award tickets were only available on 1 of the flights.

If anyone can assist, it would be appreciated!
Thanks
pisht is offline  
Old Jul 28, 2010, 9:21 am
  #259  
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: YYZ
Programs: AC*E
Posts: 354
Originally Posted by pisht
I am looking for advice whether it would be possible to be upgraded from economy to executive class for free.
you can't upgrade award tickets if they are ticketed in Y
highflyer88 is offline  
Old Jul 28, 2010, 9:43 am
  #260  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: YYZ
Programs: AC E; Marriott Platinum
Posts: 2,409
Originally Posted by pisht

Is it possible for one or both of us to get a free upgrade from economy to executive class? What would be the best way to go about it?

Looking at Air Canada's seat map, currently 14/14 seats are available on the way down and 8/14 available on the way back. There are actually 2 flights on the days we are travelling, but the award tickets were only available on 1 of the flights.
Welcome to FT!



Free upgrades? Not a chance. If you wanted to spend more miles, plus pay change fees, then you might be able to (if there was J class award space available).

As for the seat maps, just because there are empty seats on the seat maps does not mean that the seats are unsold.

Some business class flyers don't select their seats before hand, so they don't show up as sold
DaveTO is offline  
Old Jul 28, 2010, 9:46 am
  #261  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 8
Originally Posted by highflyer88
you can't upgrade award tickets if they are ticketed in Y
Thanks for the reply.

So I guess basically our only chance is to show up to the airport and if there are any available seats ask to be upgraded and hope for the best!
pisht is offline  
Old Jul 28, 2010, 9:51 am
  #262  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 8
Originally Posted by DaveTO
Free upgrades? Not a chance. If you wanted to spend more miles, plus pay change fees, then you might be able to (if there was J class award space available).
I figured it was worth a shot..I'll still give it a try at the airport with an agent when we check in.
pisht is offline  
Old Jul 28, 2010, 10:00 am
  #263  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: YOW
Programs: AC E75K *G
Posts: 7,128
Originally Posted by pisht
Thanks for the reply.

So I guess basically our only chance is to show up to the airport and if there are any available seats ask to be upgraded and hope for the best!
Your best chance of actually sitting up from would be to check in online and see if they are offering LMUPs on the flight. If not when you check in, check periodically to see if any have been opened up.

These would not be free, but a big seat for 40k miles and some cash might not be seen as a terrible deal.

It's not a bad flight in the back, either.
zorn is offline  
Old Jul 28, 2010, 11:02 am
  #264  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: YYZ
Programs: AC E; Marriott Platinum
Posts: 2,409
Originally Posted by pisht
I figured it was worth a shot..I'll still give it a try at the airport with an agent when we check in.
Ahh so you're the guy who walks up to the AC agents and casually offers "I don't suppose that you need someone to move up to front, cause I'm volunteering!"

Just a quick FYI, there are no free upgrades (like USAir) on Air Canada. All upgrades need to be supported by certificates, or in an Op-Up situation, they will go by AC status, * Alliance Status, and then by fare category (award tickets are considered the lowest fare category).

As Zorn mentioned, if you do want to sit up front, you might be offered the opportunity to pay at check in, somewhere in the range of $300-$400 each way for an upgrade.
DaveTO is offline  
Old Jul 28, 2010, 11:11 am
  #265  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 8
Originally Posted by DaveTO
Ahh so you're the guy who walks up to the AC agents and casually offers "I don't suppose that you need someone to move up to front, cause I'm volunteering!"

Just a quick FYI, there are no free upgrades (like USAir) on Air Canada. All upgrades need to be supported by certificates, or in an Op-Up situation, they will go by AC status, * Alliance Status, and then by fare category (award tickets are considered the lowest fare category).

As Zorn mentioned, if you do want to sit up front, you might be offered the opportunity to pay at check in, somewhere in the range of $300-$400 each way for an upgrade.
Thanks for the info.
pisht is offline  
Old Jul 28, 2010, 11:18 am
  #266  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Body in Downtown YYZ, heart and mind elsewhere
Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Posts: 5,140
Originally Posted by pisht
I am looking for advice whether it would be possible to be upgraded from economy to executive class for free.
Respectfully - I really don't get it.

Hi - I paid for a hamburger but I was wondering if you would please serve me the fillet mignon instead?

Hi - I bought a BMW 3 series but I was wondering if you would please give me the 7 series instead?

Hi - I paid for a bottle of beer but I was wondering if you would please give me a bottle of Dom Perignon instead?


Where do these expectations come from?
RCyyz is offline  
Old Jul 28, 2010, 11:54 am
  #267  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: YYZ
Programs: AC E; Marriott Platinum
Posts: 2,409
Probably a friend of someone's sister-in-law's uncle was flying from ORD-LGA on American Thanksgiving weekend in the middle of a freak snowstorm that offered to move from the overbooked by 20 5pm flight to the 11pm flight if they got a free upgrade.

From then it moved to on every flight, gate agents are just looking to fill first class seats with a random customer who asks nicely with a smile and has a _________ reason why they should get upgrades.

Fill in the blank with today's choice:

a) The outbound flight was 35 minutes late arriving, and the tray table was slightly misaligned
b) The frequent flier program still has not credited their BWI-CLT-TPA flight from 2 weeks ago
c) The reservation agent hung up on them
d) Their upgrade was promised "if space was available" by an agent whose name or employee # is unavailable
e) They used to be a top-tier member, and are about "x" number of points away from getting "y" level

Last edited by DaveTO; Jul 28, 2010 at 12:16 pm
DaveTO is offline  
Old Jul 28, 2010, 12:08 pm
  #268  
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: YYZ, but my heart is in Asia
Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Posts: 4,396
Originally Posted by DaveTO
From then it moved to on every flight, gate agents are just looking to fill first class seats with a random customer who asks nicely with a smile and has a _________ reason why they should get upgrades.

Fill in the blank with today's choice:
...
Are you J Kickass? Thanks for your recipes
jarusoba is offline  
Old Jul 28, 2010, 12:20 pm
  #269  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 8
Originally Posted by RCyyz
Respectfully - I really don't get it.

Hi - I paid for a hamburger but I was wondering if you would please serve me the fillet mignon instead?

Hi - I bought a BMW 3 series but I was wondering if you would please give me the 7 series instead?

Hi - I paid for a bottle of beer but I was wondering if you would please give me a bottle of Dom Perignon instead?


Where do these expectations come from?
I don't have any expectations...but it would be nice.

If I am offered an upgrade for free, I am going to accept it. Why wouldn't I? Wouldn't you? Would you really turn it down?

If I pay for a hamburger and get filet mignon, I'll take it.

If I buy a BMW 3 Series and they give me a 7 Series instead, I'll take it.

If I buy a beer and get Dom Perignon instead, I'll take it.
pisht is offline  
Old Jul 28, 2010, 12:30 pm
  #270  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 8
Originally Posted by DaveTO
Probably a friend of someone's sister-in-law's uncle was flying from ORD-LGA on American Thanksgiving weekend in the middle of a freak snowstorm that offered to move from the overbooked by 20 5pm flight to the 11pm flight if they got a free upgrade.
Anything is possible...last summer I flew the BGI-YYZ portion of this flight and my friend who was on the same flight was upgraded to Executive class for no apparent reason. And he did not pay for it.
pisht is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.