Old Jan 1, 2020, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yyznomad

Get more out of your eUpgrade Credits

Since Air Canada doesn't seem to provide these important links anymore, let us do it for them.
  • Official eUp chart (as of Oct 2 2020)
  • Upgrades can now be requested at anytime after booking (i.e. it can be requested prior to your clearance window).

North America / Sun

International

eUpgrade Clearance Windows

Print Wikipost

FAQ: How to Upgrade on Air Canada

Old Feb 4, 2009, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75K *G
Originally Posted by timriley12
Forgive me if this is a newbie question (new *E trying to learn about upgrade availabilities) - but are there any 'free' online tools out there that DO show I-class availability for domestic and transborder routes?
Aside from the int'l itinerary kludge you (re)discovered yourself for the 3rd party availability tools, AC.com itself will show you upgrade availability as described in the first post in this thread.

Start a booking for one or two people (or 7 or 9 if you like) and ask it to show upgradable fares only. The blue arrow indicates upgrade space for the number of tickets you are proposing to purchase.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 3:13 pm

Programs: AC*SE
Yipes, I totally forgot about the AC.com tool! I didn't think of using increasing number of passengers in the 'booking action' to figure out what the I-class value is for that flight... great idea!

Originally Posted by zorn
Aside from the int'l itinerary kludge you (re)discovered yourself for the 3rd party availability tools, AC.com itself will show you upgrade availability as described in the first post in this thread.

Start a booking for one or two people (or 7 or 9 if you like) and ask it to show upgradable fares only. The blue arrow indicates upgrade space for the number of tickets you are proposing to purchase.
Old Apr 16, 2009, 7:55 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Accor Plat
Here's a question. I've sucessfully used my SSWUs this year (thanks to all the great advice here) I'm now plotting to use my SWUs. Since it'll be out of my own pocket I'm looking at a potential trip to HNL ex YVR or YYZ sometime.

However I run into the following issue. When I go on seatcounter and look up dates for I availability ex YVR. e.g. May 28th I see AC 47 with I7 showing.

However when I go to ac.com and try to display only fares eligible for upgrade and check the box and plug in 8100001 (seems to accept code as I see a green check with 2009 System-Wide Upgrade Certificate recognized) I always seem to get "The upgrade certificate entered is not valid for the itinerary you have selected. (68021 - 10650)"

If I pick other random cities, say YYZ or HKG ex. YVR on these dates I actually do get results and get the blue upward arrow for AC007 to HKG and a bunch to YYZ (all but AC026).

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong on ac.com and why I can't see the upgradeable fares for HNL?
Old Apr 16, 2009, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ksm06
Any ideas what I'm doing wrong on ac.com and why I can't see the upgradeable fares for HNL?
It must be some random AC.com bug.

The third party tools are accurate. You can book the Latitude fare with confidence and upgrade it right after booking, either online (if it will let you) or over the phone.
Old Apr 16, 2009, 11:01 am

Programs: Air Canada Elite , Hilton Honors
This is a great FAQ.
It should be made a "sticky" so we don't have to search for it.

Commander Bob
Always looking for good advice.
Old Apr 16, 2009, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cbob
This is a great FAQ.
It should be made a "sticky" so we don't have to search for it.

Commander Bob
Always looking for good advice.
You never have to search for it.

It is always linked in the Aeroplan Master FAQ thread sticky along with other threads of interest.
Old Apr 17, 2009, 4:38 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Accor Plat
Thanks Zorn, much appreciated.

It must be some random AC.com bug.

The third party tools are accurate. You can book the Latitude fare with confidence and upgrade it right after booking, either online (if it will let you) or over the phone.
Old May 23, 2009, 7:18 am

Programs: AC Aeroplan
Operational Upgrades

If economy class is oversold, and there is space in business class, some passengers will might be upgraded without the need for a certificate. This is called an operational upgrade, or "op-up". Operational upgrades should be done by status, and generally are, but sometimes convenience, time constraints, laziness, etc., cause agents to upgrade people without regard to status.

Theories abound about increasing one's chance of an op-up, which include dressing nicely, being polite, showing cleavage, etc. These are theories. There is no published, peer-reviewed research that gives evidence that the theories are true.

Courtesy Upgrades

An Air Canada employee may simply decide to upgrade you for some reason. They might feel sorry for you; they might be hitting on you; they might be compensating you for some inconvenience. This is called a courtesy upgrade. Be happy if it happens, but don't expect it.

Upgrade with cash or miles

It is not possible to upgrade using frequent flyer miles. Air Canada does not participate in the Star Alliance milage upgrade scheme. It is not possible to upgrade using cash at check-in. If you want to upgrade using cash, you should visit the ticket desk to pay the fare difference to business class.
The "inside" word is that the courtesy/ops-up is being reintroduced with a reinvigorated process. It'll be rewarded by invitation only, so pay heed to what ACxxxxxxHI's advises. Based on ticket fare paid, AP/SA FQTV tier level and time of booking (?) and check-in (i.e. first-come/first-served).

There's no plan to mix/match cash/miles, especially with AP detached from AC. However, they plan to introduce "Electronic Upgrade Certs) with AC's new RESIV Polaris (delayed). No more losing them or probs with "marked used" when service is taken away (delays/cancellations). Also convenient will be ability to view online at aeroplan.com profile so one can match with valid fares and attach electronically once confirmed.
Old May 23, 2009, 6:21 pm

Programs: AP/SE; ACMM
I was originally waitlisted on AC34 SYD-YYZ and had to change my return date. When I called AC to change the agent informed me my upgrade had cleared but I would need to be waitlisted on my new departure date. I=0, with J=9 and 17 J seats available on my new date (ac.com)

I read through this thread and didn't see anything about clearly waitlists before your departure date. Is this a common practice? I seem to recall UA and AA giving notifications of cleared waitlist - I don't think AC does.

Many thanks.
Old May 23, 2009, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thomjeff
I was originally waitlisted on AC34 SYD-YYZ and had to change my return date. When I called AC to change the agent informed me my upgrade had cleared but I would need to be waitlisted on my new departure date. I=0, with J=9 and 17 J seats available on my new date (ac.com)
A confirmed upgrade or a position on a waitlist are flight-specific. Change your flight and it's just like having bought a new ticket on the new flight, as far as upgrades are concerned.

I read through this thread and didn't see anything about clearly waitlists before your departure date. Is this a common practice? I seem to recall UA and AA giving notifications of cleared waitlist - I don't think AC does.
If you clear the waitlist before the departure date it will be reflected in the booking as it appears in Manage My Bookings on ac.com. You'll know you've cleared when "Waitlisted" changes to "Upgraded". (It might take a day or so to change from your economy booking class to I, but you are upgraded.)

AC does not specifically send a notification that you have cleared, on the grounds that normal people will check obsessively to see if they've cleared yet, and abnormal people who don't check all the time probably don't deserve the upgrade anyway.
Old May 24, 2009, 6:19 am

Programs: DJ plat, QF plat, AF gold, AC silver
Two upgrade questions from someone new to Aeroplan, and struggling to understand the intricacies. I'm a peasant level Aeroplan member at the moment (34,022 miles since joining in March) but about to be elite as soon as one last flight gets credited. My understanding is that I will get to select 2009 elite benefits, which can include a few SWU certificates.

I'm planning on using the SWUs that should be coming my way to upgrade on SYD-YVR vv in December/January (I'll happily buy a latitude fare if the upgrades will be confirmed ahead of time and not subject to availability at check in):

1- if there is 'I space' available when I book (according to seatcounter.com and the presence of little blue arrows on aircanada.com) and I request my upgrades straight away after booking my understanding is that they should be confirmed straight away. But does this mean that they are really confirmed (with a specific seat allocation) and I won't miss out on the day, or are they like QF international upgrades where you are put on a list and not actually finally put in business class until check in?

2- I understand that I actually need to have the upgrade certificates in my hot little hand at check in to use them. But can I request the upgrade online without actually having received them? I want to book as early as possible so as to get to choose dates with 'I space' available that suit me. Based on how long it took my original Aeroplan membership card to arrive, it'll likely take 8 or more weeks for my elite pack and certificates to make it to the antipodes - but can I make my booking and request the upgrades using the certificate type numbers available on flyertalk (e.g 8100001) before I actually get the certs, or is there a unique number specific to that individual certificate that I need to enter?

Thanks!
Old May 25, 2009, 12:07 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E75K
YYZ-GRU - Flight Pass upgrade?

Anyone have more info on the following?
I am flying RT with a friend to Sao Paulo (GRU) June 12-15 using a Latitude Flight Pass. I would LOVE to be up front for the 10+ hour flight!

[*]Complimentary Latitude Flight Pass Upgrades

If your flight is booked using a Latitude flight pass you will be able to upgrade the day before your flight. This upgrade is not based on I space. It is based on available business class seats. Air Canada reserves the right to hold back some business class seats for last minute purchase.

Latitude pass upgrades are done online.

(I am not a pass user so I will need someone to explain:

- if you can upgrade a pass over the phone
- how to book a certificate upgrade, then cancel it and use the pass upgrade to save the cert)
Old May 25, 2009, 1:25 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

I don't recall there was a Latitude flight pass to GRU? Do you mean Latitude fare - if so, you'll need the appropiate upgrade certificates to upgrade the flight.
Old May 25, 2009, 3:05 pm

Programs: AC E75K 2MM * DL MM * HH Diamond * Marriott Lifetime Titanium * Queen's '92
Firstly, welcome to FT!

Originally Posted by CBR001
1- if there is 'I space' available when I book (according to seatcounter.com and the presence of little blue arrows on aircanada.com) and I request my upgrades straight away after booking my understanding is that they should be confirmed straight away. But does this mean that they are really confirmed (with a specific seat allocation) and I won't miss out on the day, or are they like QF international upgrades where you are put on a list and not actually finally put in business class until check in?
Except in very unusual circumstances where you get bumped, these are confirmed seats, with a specific seat assigned.

[quote]
2- I understand that I actually need to have the upgrade certificates in my hot little hand at check in to use them. But can I request the upgrade online without actually having received them? I want to book as early as possible so as to get to choose dates with 'I space' available that suit me. Based on how long it took my original Aeroplan membership card to arrive, it'll likely take 8 or more weeks for my elite pack and certificates to make it to the antipodes - but can I make my booking and request the upgrades using the certificate type numbers available on flyertalk (e.g 8100001) before I actually get the certs, or is there a unique number specific to that individual certificate that I need to enter?[/quote[

This is correct. No need to wait for the certs, but you must have the right ones for the right fare class with you on the day of the flight, or you'll quickly find yourselves in seat 32B and 40B.

Simon
Old Jun 7, 2009, 6:16 am
Original Poster

LMUPs now included.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.