Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2020, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yyznomad

Get more out of your eUpgrade Credits

Since Air Canada doesn't seem to provide these important links anymore, let us do it for them.
  • Official eUp chart (as of Oct 2 2020)
  • Upgrades can now be requested at anytime after booking (i.e. it can be requested prior to your clearance window).

North America / Sun

International

eUpgrade Clearance Windows

Print Wikipost

FAQ: How to Upgrade on Air Canada

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2008, 7:32 pm

Programs: AC*SE HHgold
I am flying UA on AC metal. Can I use my SSWU? How do I do it?
Thanks.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 7:42 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by Needle Hill
I am flying UA on AC metal. Can I use my SSWU? How do I do it?
Thanks.
I assume you mean you have booked an AC operated flight as a UA codeshare?

If so, assuming you are on the correct fare, you can only do this at the airport upon checkin. They will put on the standby list which is cleared at the gate.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
I assume you mean you have booked an AC operated flight as a UA codeshare?

If so, assuming you are on the correct fare, you can only do this at the airport upon checkin. They will put on the standby list which is cleared at the gate.
Including on line check in I would think.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 9:21 am

upgrade on NZ

I tried to book YYZ-YVR-AKL on ac.com. When I asked it to display ug fare, it only display the segment YYZ-YVR but not YVR-AKL. YVR-AKL is operated by NZ. Can you ug on NZ using SWU or SSWU and how do you do it?
Thanks.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 9:43 am
ALW

No.

=aw
Old Oct 29, 2008, 8:04 am

Please forgive my ignorance for I am a newbie.
Does it mean that I can upgrade on Star Alliance codeshare flight operated by Air Canada but not Air Canada code share flight operated by Star Alliance airlines?
Thanks.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Needle Hill
Please forgive my ignorance for I am a newbie.
Does it mean that I can upgrade on Star Alliance codeshare flight operated by Air Canada but not Air Canada code share flight operated by Star Alliance airlines?
Thanks.
That is correct. Upgrades only on AC metal.

(Soon to be AC plastic.)
Old Oct 31, 2008, 5:18 pm

Programs: AC super Elite Starwood Lifetime Platinum
Upgrade request at Check-in

I have been frustrated by some SE and E's requesting ug at electronic check-in (flying Tango Plus, with no SSWU) and playing innocent at gate...

1. I expect most E/SE should know their fare class, since the LT-04 and meal icon is a sure sign??? maybe not.

2. In oversold flights, some of these folks would have been high on the ug list.

3. Perhaps agents may decide to pull a SWU rather than hold up the line during busy flights?

I expect there has been a thread on this....

wg
Old Nov 1, 2008, 5:13 am

Programs: AC Elite
"Oh, you mean I need a *red* cert for this flight? So sorry. Might a blue one suffice?"

Seriously, people should be ashamed...
Old Nov 5, 2008, 12:07 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 75K, Bonvoy Titanium
Upgraded? Or, Not?

I made an online request for an upgrade for YYC-YVR-HKG using a SSWU recently. The YYC-YVR segment was upgraded immediately. The YVR-HKG segment said "waitlisted" under upgrade status. I just noticed it's changed to "upgraded" today, but the seat assignment is still in the economy cabin. Does anyone know what that means?
Old Nov 5, 2008, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75K *G
Originally Posted by King Chung Huang
I made an online request for an upgrade for YYC-YVR-HKG using a SSWU recently. The YYC-YVR segment was upgraded immediately. The YVR-HKG segment said "waitlisted" under upgrade status. I just noticed it's changed to "upgraded" today, but the seat assignment is still in the economy cabin. Does anyone know what that means?
It means that you are upgraded.

For some computing/database/IT reason there can be a period in which your upgrade is confirmed, but neither you (online) nor a phone agent will be able to fiddle with seating.

When your fare class actually says it has changed to Executive First/I then you (or a phone agent) will be able to select the J seat you want.

In my experience it might take up to a day.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 7:54 pm

Programs: AC super Elite Starwood Lifetime Platinum
short haul ug while waitlisted for long haul connect

A more recent decision be AC (may have been on an earlier post) is to automatically upgrade the shorthaul if available, and keep you waitlisted on longer haul connect. So, you get the YYC-YVR upgrade, with no need to pull certificate until or if you get confirmed on YVR-HKG leg. Check-in was not aware of this, but gate agent upgraded me back on a short haul, given Air Canada's recent policy change.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by weatherguy
A more recent decision be AC (may have been on an earlier post) is to automatically upgrade the shorthaul if available, and keep you waitlisted on longer haul connect. So, you get the YYC-YVR upgrade, with no need to pull certificate until or if you get confirmed on YVR-HKG leg. Check-in was not aware of this, but gate agent upgraded me back on a short haul, given Air Canada's recent policy change.
Very cool if this is a confrimed policy change - it was always a bugger deciding whether to risk giving up a SSWU and then not being upgraded on the long haul or sitting in Y and then getting the upgrade.

Does this also apply if flying longhaul domestic followed by long international (e.g. YVR-YYZ-CDG or YYZ-YVR-HKG?)
Old Nov 5, 2008, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75K *G
Originally Posted by weatherguy
That's interesting.

I think I'll wait for confirmation from a reliable inside source, or a consensus based on experience of several posters before updating the OP.

Gate agents have also been known simply to be nice to people, after all.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 1:12 pm

Programs: FPC Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, USAir Gold
Originally Posted by ACxxxxxxHI

We're not allowed to give out complimentary upgrades unless there is a request from AC Management or if we're dealing with a over-sold aircraft. And even then, passengers who we'll move up to Executive Class first are those SE/E who are wait listed with U/G certs. If there are no U/G certs wait listed, then we'll start complimentary upgrading SE & E passengers based on their priority.
Wow. As if Prestige Members needed any validation for feeling completely forgotten, here it is....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.