Old Jan 1, 2020, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yyznomad

Get more out of your eUpgrade Credits

Since Air Canada doesn't seem to provide these important links anymore, let us do it for them.
  • Official eUp chart (as of Oct 2 2020)
  • Upgrades can now be requested at anytime after booking (i.e. it can be requested prior to your clearance window).

North America / Sun

International

eUpgrade Clearance Windows

Print Wikipost

FAQ: How to Upgrade on Air Canada

Old Jul 14, 2016, 8:46 am
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by arf04
Gotcha. I see now. So, I might as well upgrade the YQR-YYZ leg?

I haven't been paying close attention to the newest 'enhancements' as I don't chase status on any airline anymore, but I'm still kind of surprised there is no way to upgrade a PY lowest with a co-pay. I was kicking myself as we booked a reasonable PY fare a while back and then KLM had a very decent business fare for our dates that I would have happily bought.
A very quick 2 click google search gives you all the details , even if you haven;t been paying attention to the newest enhancements.

https://www.aircanada.com/en/aeropla...lculation.html
Old Dec 4, 2016, 3:00 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
LMU on aeroplan award ticket?

Hello everyone,

Need some quick help - so I appreciate the help.

I need to fly back home to YYZ (I currently live in LHR) on Tuesday. It's a relatively urgent flight I need to make. As is well known, buying a one way ticket is very expensive, so I have looked at what points I have left on Aeroplan and it's a measly 35,000 after using them up on premium international flights over the last little while. I can get a direct economy flight back to YYZ but was looking at the top up options on Aeroplan to get a business flight - I prefer flying business (who doesn't) on longer flights. However, the business options require a connect either in the US or Europe (not a huge problem).

My question is if purchase one of the AC direct flights with aeroplan will I have any chance of doing a LMU at check in? This option appeals to me as it would be a direct flight back to YYZ. If I have zero chance, I would just to the top up on aeroplan and get a flight back.

Thoughts? Any help appreciated while I hurriedly pack up and say my goodbyes!

Thanks,

kinglear
Old Dec 4, 2016, 3:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by kinglear
....My question is if purchase one of the AC direct flights with aeroplan will I have any chance of doing a LMU at check in?....
I once received a LMU option at OLCI for an Aeroplan ticket I purchased in PE on a TATL. It was a ridiculous sum, so I declined it. IIRC, others may have posted on the forum that they did as well.

Not sure of your exact travel date and the Aeroplan one-way Business option you saw. I know if you have an Amex card you can transfer reward points to Aeroplan almost instantly to top up that way.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by 24left
I once received a LMU option at OLCI for an Aeroplan ticket I purchased in PE on a TATL. It was a ridiculous sum, so I declined it. IIRC, others may have posted on the forum that they did as well.

Not sure of your exact travel date and the Aeroplan one-way Business option you saw. I know if you have an Amex card you can transfer reward points to Aeroplan almost instantly to top up that way.
Thanks for your message, 24left.

Yeah, I am concerned if i get an AC reward ticket it will be very expensive or simply not available at all forcing me to remain in economy. Though, a direct flight would be nice.

I was looking in that thread and scooping out LMU from LHR to YYZ. I am looking at a flight for this Tuesday. There seems to be an option with LH that goes from LHR to FRA and FRA to YYZ for $1191 with top up fees. Unfortunately, I haven't used my Canadian Amex much since moving abroad so all points have been exhausted that way.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 4:30 pm
Suspended

Thanks for your message, 24left.

Yeah, I am concerned if i get an AC reward ticket it will be very expensive or simply not available at all forcing me to remain in economy. Though, a direct flight would be nice.

I was looking in that thread and scooping out LMU from LHR to YYZ. I am looking at a flight for this Tuesday. There seems to be an option with LH that goes from LHR to FRA and FRA to YYZ for $1191 with top up fees. Unfortunately, I haven't used my Canadian Amex much since moving abroad so all points have been exhausted that way.

Well, a less painful solution perhaps is buy a Tango ticket and not use the return.

I'm on ac.com now. looking at Tuesday Dec 6. I picked a random return date a week or so later.

Tango is $1,115 CAD all in
Flex is $1,348 all in

If you don't need the mileage earnings, buy the Tango

But do not waste $1,191 on co-pay fees on an Aeroplan ticket. IMHO

BTW, I know you'd rather fly in Business, but it seems the math is not in your favour.

EDIT: I just noticed, if you fly AC LHR-YUL-YYZ, the Tango fare is only $948

Last edited by 24left; Dec 4, 2016 at 4:39 pm
Old Dec 4, 2016, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by 24left
Well, a less painful solution perhaps is buy a Tango ticket and not use the return.

I'm on ac.com now. looking at Tuesday Dec 6. I picked a random return date a week or so later.

Tango is $1,115 CAD all in
Flex is $1,348 all in

If you don't need the mileage earnings, buy the Tango

But do not waste $1,191 on co-pay fees on an Aeroplan ticket. IMHO

BTW, I know you'd rather fly in Business, but it seems the math is not in your favour.

EDIT: I just noticed, if you fly AC LHR-YUL-YYZ, the Tango fare is only $948
Thanks for your message and helping out - much appreciated.

Yes, looked into just buying a return then thought I would just get myself into a situation of wasting the other ticket or if i did use it I would still have to get another ticket back. Ugh.

I think I may just get the 1 way AC economy ticket and pay the ~ $300 in copay fees and hope I get a reasonable LMU fee. I wanted to fly the 788 which is the 6pm on Tuesday but seeing that there aren't many business seats left maybe I should try for an earlier flight due to better chances for a LMU?

Also, the idea of spending $1,191 in copay fees isn't ideal but getting a confirmed business seat with the baggage is appealing. I am wondering as well, if the price would work out to be the same with the aeroplan copay and LMU fees...

Thanks
Old Dec 4, 2016, 5:23 pm
Suspended

Thanks for your message and helping out - much appreciated.

Yes, looked into just buying a return then thought I would just get myself into a situation of wasting the other ticket or if i did use it I would still have to get another ticket back. Ugh.

I think I may just get the 1 way AC economy ticket and pay the ~ $300 in copay fees and hope I get a reasonable LMU fee. I wanted to fly the 788 which is the 6pm on Tuesday but seeing that there aren't many business seats left maybe I should try for an earlier flight due to better chances for a LMU?

Also, the idea of spending $1,191 in copay fees isn't ideal but getting a confirmed business seat with the baggage is appealing. I am wondering as well, if the price would work out to be the same with the aeroplan copay and LMU fees...

Thanks
Your guess is as good as mine. This is gambling Air Canada style.
You won't know what the LMU offer is until OLCI.

BTW, I found the LMU offer on my Aeroplan PE TATL ticket to be ridiculous.
The flight went out with approx 1/3 empty seats in J so that was lost revenue for AC, but with some of that "empty-seat exclusivity" that some people seem to think is of value. lol, whatev.

Even better for me, the PE cabin was only half-full, so I had a row to myself. Felt pretty exclusive to me.

Last edited by 24left; Dec 4, 2016 at 5:33 pm
Old Dec 12, 2016, 6:34 am

Programs: AC Aeroplan
Hello everyone,

Need some quick help - so I appreciate the help.

I need to fly back home to YYZ (I currently live in LHR) on Tuesday. It's a relatively urgent flight I need to make. As is well known, buying a one way ticket is very expensive, so I have looked at what points I have left on Aeroplan and it's a measly 35,000 after using them up on premium international flights over the last little while. I can get a direct economy flight back to YYZ but was looking at the top up options on Aeroplan to get a business flight - I prefer flying business (who doesn't) on longer flights. However, the business options require a connect either in the US or Europe (not a huge problem).

My question is if purchase one of the AC direct flights with aeroplan will I have any chance of doing a LMU at check in? This option appeals to me as it would be a direct flight back to YYZ. If I have zero chance, I would just to the top up on aeroplan and get a flight back.

Thoughts? Any help appreciated while I hurriedly pack up and say my goodbyes!

Thanks,

kinglear
In the past, I was flying on points and not on a codeshare and was able to pay and get a LMU at the airport.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 8:56 am

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
I have read the thread in the past and cannot remember this one detail.
When I redeem FP, I usually book the nonstop for 1 FP credit, and spend 2 eUps to upgrade M to J.
This time, the nonstop is sold out of M so I am redeeming on a 2-segment routing.
I can confirm upgrade on one segment, but waitlisted for the other. If both clear, am I paying 2 eUps for EACH segment or the usual 2 for the whole trip? (In the request-an-upgrade form, it quotes me 2 per segment. I understand the IT cannot cope with how to charge eUps when I cannot confirm both at once, but if the second leg clears, will it zero out that second charge?)
Old Dec 17, 2016, 9:10 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Lifetime Plat, (now an AC nobody)
Originally Posted by flyquiet
I have read the thread in the past and cannot remember this one detail.
When I redeem FP, I usually book the nonstop for 1 FP credit, and spend 2 eUps to upgrade M to J.
This time, the nonstop is sold out of M so I am redeeming on a 2-segment routing.
I can confirm upgrade on one segment, but waitlisted for the other. If both clear, am I paying 2 eUps for EACH segment or the usual 2 for the whole trip? (In the request-an-upgrade form, it quotes me 2 per segment. I understand the IT cannot cope with how to charge eUps when I cannot confirm both at once, but if the second leg clears, will it zero out that second charge?)
Yes.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 10:19 am

Programs: AC SE
my eupgrade nominee is 35k i am SE. We have a flight in PE coming up on the 27th. I request the upgrade for her a t-7. If it doesnt clear before t-24hrs does her chance of upgrade rest on her status level or mine? I think it is hers but searching through this thread didnt address. thank you
Old Dec 17, 2016, 10:21 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Lifetime Plat, (now an AC nobody)
Originally Posted by 300rwhp
my eupgrade nominee is 35k i am SE. We have a flight in PE coming up on the 27th. I request the upgrade for her a t-7. If it doesnt clear before t-24hrs does her chance of upgrade rest on her status level or mine? I think it is hers but searching through this thread didnt address. thank you
Hers.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 5:34 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by 300rwhp
Upgrade priority rests on her status at t-24h. She won't need to pay the copay though.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 6:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Does anyone know if there's a way to confirm the "companion on same flight" upgrade when there's R space?

Flight is J4 R1, and I have a friend booked in V, the concierge could only get him on the list, not confirmed. He has no status, so if it goes to the gate, chances are much lower.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 8:32 am

It appears the Air Canada eupgrade site has been enhanced. Now I have to really try hard to get to the eupgrades to share page. Took me 3 days to get there. I click on the upgrade credits required and accept it but then nothing happens. The request upgrade button does not work and the only button that works is CANCEL. Am I missing some secret method? I have used upgrades for years but this new system has got me flummoxed!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.