Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 12, 2020, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
You must call in for stopovers, multi-city, or complicated routings, until the new booking system launches in 2021.

I hope others will significantly improve this wiki!

There are four zones: North America (inc Central), South America, Atlantic (including India and Western Russia), Pacific (inc Eastern Russia) and the chart is based which one you start from and which one you end up in, there's ten of these.

Cost is based on distance, which zone pair your flight is in, which class you are flying in.

Partner airlines (again) are a better deal because while Air Canada will calculate cost on a wide ranges but partner airlines are fixed to the bottom of the range.

YQ is eliminated. There's a 39 CAD fee for booking a ticket which contains a flight on a partner airline. Aside from this, there's no incentive any more to book a return flight it seems and every incentive not to.
Note: The partner booking fee is refundable, so it's basically a YQ, rather than a booking fee.

Most flights are devalued. However, the elimination of YQ sweetens this significantly. Within North America, a lot of flights became cheaper, YVR-HNL very significantly. YVR-TYO is much cheaper while YVR-AKL is a little cheaper.

A vastly more powerful booking system is promised for 2021.

There are a lot of new tricks to be learned. https://princeoftravel.com/blog/new-aeroplan-flight-rewards/ is a good start.

Information that is harder to find:
  • SE IKK redemption from the old program can be changed ("within reason") without repricing. Dates, routings, no problem. Origin/destination should be fine. But nothing that would have required a repricing under the old program. This is from Mark Nasr in https://www.facebook.com/pointsmiles...44878252851420
  • The "Activity" page only shows you the most recent ~48 transactions. See this post for information on how to get older data.
  • A partial refund may not be possible (e.g. if you book RT and outbound flight is cancelled by you or AC, to delete the first flight segment, you have to cancel the entire ticket and rebook the inbound at a potentially higher fare. It seems supervisor can grant exceptions.)
Print Wikipost

2020 Air Canada Aeroplan Program

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2020, 12:48 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, IC Plat Ambassador, HH Diamond
J pricing as an AP 25K with CIBC business VISA

YVR-NRT 51,500 6.4% discount
YVR-TPE 65,600 12.5% discount
YVR-HKG 62,300 16.9% discount

Last edited by tobegold; Nov 10, 2020 at 2:04 am
Old Nov 10, 2020, 3:11 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Anybody else getting this??

"There are not enough Aeroplan points in your account to apply to this booking."

There are plenty of points for what I was looking to book... switched it to one PAX as I had read people were having issues when PAX>1.

Old Nov 10, 2020, 7:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
YYZ-SFO signature flights are absolutely brutal when I've checked. 39k for the 737M flights, 87k for the 787. I'd rather just have the option to pay the $300 signature surcharge or whatever it is now, not that it would make the redemption a great value either way.
I only looked at one day, but it was 20k one way for narrow and 22k for wide.

Originally Posted by Plumber
Yes- same expiry as you...

If I understand they will use your SQD at the end of the year (doubled) and up your priority reards accordingly.

But I think we are missing the 4 base ones that were promised to SEs (I cant find these base allocations amounts by status on the site now)
There are no "base" ones.

You get the greater of 4 (for SE) or what your SQD earns you.
mileageking and Plumber like this.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikeycanuk
I guess that explains where my 100k is. I did pretty good on the rebooking.. YYZ-LAS in J next year. First check was 99,200 and $40 less. I then went to check my original booking and clicked cancel expecting to get "are you sure". BOOM there it went, so be careful. I go to book the flight and it's now 77,200 and $40 less. Cool. Booked! I then rechecked 10 minutes later and it's back up to 99,200. Go figure.
My suspicion is that by canceling, I-space opened, so the price went down. Then you booked it, taking the space, and it went back up.

Originally Posted by expert7700
​​​​​​Wow. If AC convinced at least one member that a YYZ-LAS was worth 99,200 points, the accounting team must be celebrating.

​​​​​​On a Rouge low cost route no less. (Or one that will be downgraded back to Rouge by 2021).
My guess is this was a Market Fare redemption, possibly with multiple pax but mikeycanuk can confirm.
expert7700 likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 9:27 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by painintheuk
And missing MM miles - for me that's pretty big. Yes, MM miles are more prominent on the website, but if I'm 100-150k off, that's an extra 2 years on 3-4 years that I expected. NO idea how I'm supposed to support a claim like that, whereas supporting my missing AQD is easy.

This year's status is not all that matters.
Sorry, I think I misinterpreted your post as suggesting the pricing problem was somehow caused by missing SQD. Didn't read it very closely before replying. My mistake!
painintheuk likes this.

How can I search for the lowest priced day within a 7 or 30 day range in the new interface? And enforce direct flights and/or business class flights only?

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
Originally Posted by canadiancow
My suspicion is that by canceling, I-space opened, so the price went down. Then you booked it, taking the space, and it went back up.

My guess is this was a Market Fare redemption, possibly with multiple pax but mikeycanuk can confirm.
2 pax.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 9:35 am

Programs: Aeroplan 25K , UA ,WJ, HA, AMEX AP Reserve
Originally Posted by muskoka
I currently hold the Amex Aeroplat. The T& C states that incumbent Reserve card holders dont qualify for the signup bonus but it doesnt mention those of us converted from Aeroplat. Will need to find that out. I had a TD Infinite (not Privilege) and I cancelled it about 2 weeks ago as the only reason I had it was fior the free bag on award flights & Zone 2 boarding (as I have no status) so now its redundant. If they give me the signup bonus for the new TD Infinite Privilege card, that plus the better earn rate than AMEX and the Nexus credit will be the deal breakers and mean the end of the AMEX for me. I have a BMO World Elite MC for Costco (although Costco may be changing next year) which gets me 4 free entries into Priority Pass lounges so Im covered there.
Just called AMEX. Incumbent Aeroplat holders DO NOT qualify for the signup bonuses as I expected. Looks very much like I will be ending my relationship with AMEX after 20 years. The agent asked what I thought of the new card benefits. I told her the lower points earn rate compared to TD & CIBC cards was not in their favour for those of us who dont spend thousands with AC every year. She said she would pass on my comment to management.
The earn rate on non- AC purchases and the Buddy pass is a dealbreaker. The Amex $100 fee credit and the Nexus credit from TD are a wash. Im a TD customer on all my banking anyway so the Infinite privilege will be a natural fit.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 9:37 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, IHG Platinum Elite
Does anyone know if the TD Aeroplan Business Visa counts as a premium card?
Old Nov 10, 2020, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bobbob911
How can I search for the lowest priced day within a 7 or 30 day range in the new interface? And enforce direct flights and/or business class flights only?
They said pretty early on that there would be a large revamp of the booking interface sometime in 2021, so if it's not available now, my guess is you'll have to wait.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 9:51 am

Programs: AC SE, Marriott - Titanium
Anyone having issue with booking with points? I have more points than the booking total.

I'm getting this error below:

There are not enough Aeroplan points in your account to apply to this booking.

Flight summary

Redemption options

Unfortunately, there are not enough Aeroplan points in your account to apply to this booking .
Old Nov 10, 2020, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by dtman85
Anyone having issue with booking with points? I have more points than the booking total.

I'm getting this error below:

There are not enough Aeroplan points in your account to apply to this booking.

Flight summary

Redemption options

Unfortunately, there are not enough Aeroplan points in your account to apply to this booking .
can you show us a screenshot?
Old Nov 10, 2020, 10:39 am

Programs: AC SE, Marriott - Titanium
Originally Posted by hoipolloi
can you show us a screenshot?
I got it to work, but I had change one of the flight.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 11:05 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by andrewlawton
No. It does not. The Premium level TD/CIBC cards are only available as a Personal cards.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 11:16 am

Programs: AC SE, AA PlatPro, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Plat & LT Gold, Hilton Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by andrewlawton
No the premium card is the VIP series. Visa Business is roughly on par with the Visa Infinites.

Originally Posted by canadiancow

There are no "base" ones.

You get the greater of 4 (for SE) or what your SQD earns you.
Does everyone E35k + get Base priority rewards regardless of AQD spend? Thought they made that exception during one of their press releases.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jun 23, 2021 at 12:39 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same user

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.