Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 12, 2020, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
You must call in for stopovers, multi-city, or complicated routings, until the new booking system launches in 2021.

I hope others will significantly improve this wiki!

There are four zones: North America (inc Central), South America, Atlantic (including India and Western Russia), Pacific (inc Eastern Russia) and the chart is based which one you start from and which one you end up in, there's ten of these.

Cost is based on distance, which zone pair your flight is in, which class you are flying in.

Partner airlines (again) are a better deal because while Air Canada will calculate cost on a wide ranges but partner airlines are fixed to the bottom of the range.

YQ is eliminated. There's a 39 CAD fee for booking a ticket which contains a flight on a partner airline. Aside from this, there's no incentive any more to book a return flight it seems and every incentive not to.
Note: The partner booking fee is refundable, so it's basically a YQ, rather than a booking fee.

Most flights are devalued. However, the elimination of YQ sweetens this significantly. Within North America, a lot of flights became cheaper, YVR-HNL very significantly. YVR-TYO is much cheaper while YVR-AKL is a little cheaper.

A vastly more powerful booking system is promised for 2021.

There are a lot of new tricks to be learned. https://princeoftravel.com/blog/new-aeroplan-flight-rewards/ is a good start.

Information that is harder to find:
  • SE IKK redemption from the old program can be changed ("within reason") without repricing. Dates, routings, no problem. Origin/destination should be fine. But nothing that would have required a repricing under the old program. This is from Mark Nasr in https://www.facebook.com/pointsmiles...44878252851420
  • The "Activity" page only shows you the most recent ~48 transactions. See this post for information on how to get older data.
  • A partial refund may not be possible (e.g. if you book RT and outbound flight is cancelled by you or AC, to delete the first flight segment, you have to cancel the entire ticket and rebook the inbound at a potentially higher fare. It seems supervisor can grant exceptions.)
Print Wikipost

2020 Air Canada Aeroplan Program

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2020, 10:34 am

Been living under a rock, booked 2 Js to US. Anything I need to do for new AP?

Hey guys,

Ever since the lockdown I’ve had most of my travel emails muted and pretty ashamed to admit that I had no idea about the new AP.

I just booked 2 tickets (J) last night to visit some family in US (from Canada) 2 weeks from now using the AC app. This morning I opened the app again and that’s when I found out about the new AP.

I’m not 100% sure about the new AP, but would there be any benefit for me (in terms of point/status collection) if I canceled those tickets and booked them again once the new program launches?

Apologies in advance if I’m asking something that’s either irrelevant or been asked multiple times before.
Old Nov 4, 2020, 10:54 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by hsandhar
Ever since the lockdown I’ve had most of my travel emails muted and pretty ashamed to admit that I had no idea about the new AP.
Thankfully, there's a very lengthy thread where you can read all about it (what we know so far, anyway, which is not everything)

I just booked 2 tickets (J) last night to visit some family in US (from Canada) 2 weeks from now using the AC app. This morning I opened the app again and that’s when I found out about the new AP.

I’m not 100% sure about the new AP, but would there be any benefit for me (in terms of point/status collection) if I canceled those tickets and booked them again once the new program launches?
Other than a potential change in the price of the tickets after the new program launches, there's no difference. Since Aeroplan has free cancellation for all tickets until the end of this year, you can just wait and see what the pricing looks like once the switch happens. If you paid 50K points and can now book it for 45K, cancel and re-book. If it's the same points but lower surcharges (YQ will be gone, and it appears you don't have any AC status), cancel and re-book. If it costs a lot more points, leave it as-is. If it costs slightly more points but the surcharges are lower, up to you to determine whether you're getting enough value.
milesforhire likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2020, 10:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
If the tickets were booked in the AC app, they weren't booked with points.

In that case, there's no known benefit to waiting until the 8th.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2020, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Thankfully, there's a very lengthy thread where you can read all about it (what we know so far, anyway, which is not everything)

Other than a potential change in the price of the tickets after the new program launches, there's no difference. Since Aeroplan has free cancellation for all tickets until the end of this year, you can just wait and see what the pricing looks like once the switch happens. If you paid 50K points and can now book it for 45K, cancel and re-book. If it's the same points but lower surcharges (YQ will be gone, and it appears you don't have any AC status), cancel and re-book. If it costs a lot more points, leave it as-is. If it costs slightly more points but the surcharges are lower, up to you to determine whether you're getting enough value.
Originally Posted by canadiancow
If the tickets were booked in the AC app, they weren't booked with points.

In that case, there's no known benefit to waiting until the 8th.
awesome, thanks Adam and cow! Yeah, I didn’t use points for booking the tickets, the prices looked good so just paid cash.

From the looks of it, doesn’t seem like it’d make any difference if i cancel and rebook it under the new plan then. thanks again.
Old Nov 4, 2020, 3:44 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Marriot, Hilton, IHG, P25K
Unsure if this is the right place to ask but here it goes.

With November 8 rapidly approaching, I have noticed TD is currently offering up to 50,000 miles on the current Aeroplan Infinite Privilege card as a sign up bonus as well as reduced fees for first year.

Any speculation on if this sign up offer will get better next week?

The base and mid-range card offers are not as attractive, but annual fees are correspondingly less as well.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 6:21 pm

What's the distance of YUL-YHZ according to the new Aeroplan program with respect to award flight pricing ?

Distance according to various sources:
ExpertFlyer.com: 500 miles
WebFlyer.com: 499 miles
gcmap.com: 501 miles
Old Nov 5, 2020, 7:23 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by hoipolloi
What's the distance of YUL-YHZ according to the new Aeroplan program with respect to award flight pricing ?

Distance according to various sources:
ExpertFlyer.com: 500 miles
WebFlyer.com: 499 miles
gcmap.com: 501 miles
AC's estimator tool prices it in the >500 band, starting at 10K.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...an/redeem.html
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2020, 2:45 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM
Does anyone know what time "Early Evening" means? What time are the "taps" being turned off?
Old Nov 6, 2020, 2:57 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by yowcat
Does anyone know what time "Early Evening" means? What time are the "taps" being turned off?
No one really knows.
If you haven't yet, book it now.
Old Nov 6, 2020, 3:45 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM
And she be shutdown

Access Denied

You don't have permission to access "http://www.aeroplan.com/" on this server.Reference #18.f2af4543.1604702710.3d97d429
G23 likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2020, 3:55 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA PlatPro, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Plat & LT Gold, Hilton Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by yowcat
Cut off time was 5pm EST. RIP Old Aeroplan. End of an Era
G23 likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2020, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Aeroplan app is crashing on launch. I uninstalled it.
Old Nov 6, 2020, 5:36 pm

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
The Altitude website is gone as well.
G23 likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2020, 5:40 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by MillennialMiles
Cut off time was 5pm EST. RIP Old Aeroplan. End of an Era
Would have been nice if they had told us that. I had some stuff I wanted to try to book that I didn't get done in time.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2020, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Would have been nice if they had told us that. I had some stuff I wanted to try to book that I didn't get done in time.
So I've been bugging the bovine to book his trip for the YHZ do for a very long time.

The message I received was:
**** [four letter word, all uppercase]
I forgot to book YHZ and just thought of it

I was operating under the assumption it would be down no later than end of business eastern time, and did a final availability search around 1600 (didn't have what I wanted).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.