Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 12, 2020, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
You must call in for stopovers, multi-city, or complicated routings, until the new booking system launches in 2021.

I hope others will significantly improve this wiki!

There are four zones: North America (inc Central), South America, Atlantic (including India and Western Russia), Pacific (inc Eastern Russia) and the chart is based which one you start from and which one you end up in, there's ten of these.

Cost is based on distance, which zone pair your flight is in, which class you are flying in.

Partner airlines (again) are a better deal because while Air Canada will calculate cost on a wide ranges but partner airlines are fixed to the bottom of the range.

YQ is eliminated. There's a 39 CAD fee for booking a ticket which contains a flight on a partner airline. Aside from this, there's no incentive any more to book a return flight it seems and every incentive not to.
Note: The partner booking fee is refundable, so it's basically a YQ, rather than a booking fee.

Most flights are devalued. However, the elimination of YQ sweetens this significantly. Within North America, a lot of flights became cheaper, YVR-HNL very significantly. YVR-TYO is much cheaper while YVR-AKL is a little cheaper.

A vastly more powerful booking system is promised for 2021.

There are a lot of new tricks to be learned. https://princeoftravel.com/blog/new-aeroplan-flight-rewards/ is a good start.

Information that is harder to find:
  • SE IKK redemption from the old program can be changed ("within reason") without repricing. Dates, routings, no problem. Origin/destination should be fine. But nothing that would have required a repricing under the old program. This is from Mark Nasr in https://www.facebook.com/pointsmiles...44878252851420
  • The "Activity" page only shows you the most recent ~48 transactions. See this post for information on how to get older data.
  • A partial refund may not be possible (e.g. if you book RT and outbound flight is cancelled by you or AC, to delete the first flight segment, you have to cancel the entire ticket and rebook the inbound at a potentially higher fare. It seems supervisor can grant exceptions.)
Print Wikipost

2020 Air Canada Aeroplan Program

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2020, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Buddy pass has a upper limit of $599 though, its hard to imagine you can do anything above flex at that price.
I believe you are confusing at least 2 things.

- One time bonus buddy pass is $0 fare for NA only (no value limit).
- Companion pass is annual benefit on VIP card depending on meeting spend requirement.
- $99 - $599 is the FEE to use the annual Companion pass depending upon destination (NOT the value of the ticket).
Old Nov 8, 2020, 11:51 am

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by robsaw
I believe you are confusing at least 2 things.

- One time bonus buddy pass is $0 fare for NA only (no value limit).
- Companion pass is annual benefit on VIP card depending on meeting spend requirement.
- $99 - $599 is the FEE to use the annual Companion pass depending upon destination (NOT the value of the ticket).
My apologies, you are absolutely correct. I misread the terms.

The pass entitles a companion to accompany the Basic Cardmember upon the purchase of a fixed base fare (plus taxes, fees, charges and surcharges), when the Basic Cardmember books a published economy fare on a flight marketed and operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Rouge or under the Air Canada Express brand.

Valid against the purchase of one round-trip fixed based fare (plus taxes, fees, charges and surcharges) for a companion when travelling on the same itinerary and booked at the same time as the Basic Cardmember. Passes are valid for 12 months from the date issued. The pass is valid towards a new booking only, and not valid on existing reservations. Bookings must be made directly with Air Canada, via aircanada.com, the Air Canada Mobile App, or through the Air Canada call center (“Air Canada Reservations”).

Maximum of one companion pass may be used per booking. If one-way travel is booked, the full base fare will be charged, the pass will be deemed fully used and the return portion of travel will be forfeited.

Total pricing varies based on itinerary booked. Basic Cardmembers may use the pass only once on their choice of travel (i) within Canada and continental US (excluding Hawaii) for $99 CAD base fare (ii) to/from Hawaii, Mexico, Central America, and the Caribbean for $299 CAD base fare, (iii) to/from South America, Europe, Middle East, and Africa for $499 CAD base fare, and (iv) to/from Asia, Australia, and New Zealand for $599 CAD base fare.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 11:56 am

Programs: Aeroplan 25K , UA ,WJ, HA, AMEX AP Reserve
I currently hold the Amex Aeroplat. The T& C states that incumbent Reserve card holders dont qualify for the signup bonus but it doesnt mention those of us converted from Aeroplat. Will need to find that out. I had a TD Infinite (not Privilege) and I cancelled it about 2 weeks ago as the only reason I had it was fior the free bag on award flights & Zone 2 boarding (as I have no status) so now its redundant. If they give me the signup bonus for the new TD Infinite Privilege card, that plus the better earn rate than AMEX and the Nexus credit will be the deal breakers and mean the end of the AMEX for me. I have a BMO World Elite MC for Costco (although Costco may be changing next year) which gets me 4 free entries into Priority Pass lounges so Im covered there.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 12:00 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
I'm surprised, the Buddy Pass looks like a pretty unequivocal win on those FYF cards. I get into some detailed use cases over on the blog, but the short version is that anyone who flies transcon with a second person should be able to pull a bare minimum of $500 value out of a BP.

AC's media-relations team have confirmed to me that all forms of fuel surcharge are covered by the BP, they felt it worthwhile to specify "No YQ, no YR and no Q surcharges, no airline surcharges apply at all."

In more predictable news, AP have now blown their second projected launch time for the new website. I was really hoping to spend my Sunday afternoon trying out new RTWs.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 12:02 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by YOWgary
In more predictable news, AP have now blown their second projected launch time for the new website. I was really hoping to spend my Sunday afternoon trying out new RTWs.
Second projected launch time? (I believe it only moved once so far from Nov 8 to 9 - maybe I am incorrect though)
When I go on the website it still says Noon November 9. https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...migration.html
Old Nov 8, 2020, 12:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Pre-approved and approved for the TD Infinite Privilege.

Upgrade priority += 1
Old Nov 8, 2020, 1:16 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Forbes has published a fairly good summary here for people like me who haven’t been paying too much attention.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 2:07 pm

I was pretty sure that I'd get the CIBC card, but I assumed TD and CIBC would have substantially the same bonus. This just seems like 30000 extra points with TD and no other differences. That's a pretty substantial difference.

Dr. PITUK
Old Nov 8, 2020, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by painintheuk
I was pretty sure that I'd get the CIBC card, but I assumed TD and CIBC would have substantially the same bonus. This just seems like 30000 extra points with TD and no other differences. That's a pretty substantial difference.

Dr. PITUK
If you are 80K+ income bracket with low credit usage, you might be targeted by CIBC for balance transfer at 0% interest rate and 1% fee only for 10 months.
So this might be something to consider. I have personally never been targeted for this low of transfer fee ever at any other FI.
The best I have seen about 2.X% interest rate + 1-2% transfer fee from TD
Old Nov 8, 2020, 3:33 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA PlatPro, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Plat & LT Gold, Hilton Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I was 95% sure I'd be applying for the Amex, but now I'm heavily leaning toward the TD Infinite Privilege. I can technically get a larger point bonus on the Amex, but the requirement to spend over time in low amounts will be too challenging for me. $10k within 6 months would be a lot easier than $1000/month for 6 months.

And the buddy pass looks reasonably useful to me.
The TD Aeroplan Infinite Privilege is only $1k spend within 3 months for 50k miles plus the buddy pass, which is a joke to meet on a VIP card.

Seems that Amex is going the route of a Sign-Up Bonus over a period of time rather than after a one-time MSR.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 3:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Agreed. Even as my general Canadian card, I think TD works better for me.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 4:02 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA PlatPro, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Plat & LT Gold, Hilton Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by Sopwith
Forbes has published a fairly good summary here for people like me who haven’t been paying too much attention.
My only issue with the article is that its written by a writer for TPG and has a US bias. Most of the US bloggers are not familiar with the nuances of the new AP cards or the program with a Canadian viewpoint.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 4:02 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by MillennialMiles
The TD Aeroplan Infinite Privilege is only $1k spend within 3 months for 50k miles plus the buddy pass, which is a joke to meet on a VIP card.

Seems that Amex is going the route of a Sign-Up Bonus over a period of time rather than after a one-time MSR.
Sure, but compared to the FYF cards with a Buddy Pass and a 10K bonus, you're basically buying 40,000 miles for $599, which is fine if it completes a long-haul premium award, but otherwise good-but-not-great value that I'd mainly take so that I can continue giving AC not one dime for cash fares until the cancel-and-deny-refund crap stops.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 4:26 pm

I just quickly started the TD process. When you get to the screen when it asks for name, SIN, etc. there is a link at the top to 'Learn more'. That has a signup bonus of 25k listed and many of the benefits don't seem to be mentioned. I suspect it is just out of date.

Dr. PITUK

Last edited by painintheuk; Nov 8, 2020 at 4:27 pm Reason: 25k buddy pass is for all black level cards, TD just doesn't explicitly mention it.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 4:56 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Pre-approved and approved for the TD Infinite Privilege.

Upgrade priority += 1
I have a personal and a business TD Aeroplan Visa but alas I doubt quantity factors into the upgrade prioritization!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.