Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 12, 2020, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
You must call in for stopovers, multi-city, or complicated routings, until the new booking system launches in 2021.

I hope others will significantly improve this wiki!

There are four zones: North America (inc Central), South America, Atlantic (including India and Western Russia), Pacific (inc Eastern Russia) and the chart is based which one you start from and which one you end up in, there's ten of these.

Cost is based on distance, which zone pair your flight is in, which class you are flying in.

Partner airlines (again) are a better deal because while Air Canada will calculate cost on a wide ranges but partner airlines are fixed to the bottom of the range.

YQ is eliminated. There's a 39 CAD fee for booking a ticket which contains a flight on a partner airline. Aside from this, there's no incentive any more to book a return flight it seems and every incentive not to.
Note: The partner booking fee is refundable, so it's basically a YQ, rather than a booking fee.

Most flights are devalued. However, the elimination of YQ sweetens this significantly. Within North America, a lot of flights became cheaper, YVR-HNL very significantly. YVR-TYO is much cheaper while YVR-AKL is a little cheaper.

A vastly more powerful booking system is promised for 2021.

There are a lot of new tricks to be learned. https://princeoftravel.com/blog/new-aeroplan-flight-rewards/ is a good start.

Information that is harder to find:
  • SE IKK redemption from the old program can be changed ("within reason") without repricing. Dates, routings, no problem. Origin/destination should be fine. But nothing that would have required a repricing under the old program. This is from Mark Nasr in https://www.facebook.com/pointsmiles...44878252851420
  • The "Activity" page only shows you the most recent ~48 transactions. See this post for information on how to get older data.
  • A partial refund may not be possible (e.g. if you book RT and outbound flight is cancelled by you or AC, to delete the first flight segment, you have to cancel the entire ticket and rebook the inbound at a potentially higher fare. It seems supervisor can grant exceptions.)
Print Wikipost

2020 Air Canada Aeroplan Program

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2020, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Official: launch delayed to November 9. Not looking too hot thus far.
Dont worry, it will be fully functional and up and running on Monday 😎
Old Nov 7, 2020, 8:35 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Dont worry, it will be fully functional and up and running on Monday 😎
XD

Knowing Air Canada IT, I am counting on it!
Old Nov 7, 2020, 9:12 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K/Star Alliance Gold, Accor Gold, base level Marriott/Hyatt/Hilton
When will I be able to book an AE ticket?
Old Nov 7, 2020, 9:29 pm

Programs: AC SEMM
Originally Posted by Aselwyn
that Chinese airport that had a old Canadian Y code? ok never used it but it did exist at one point
Don’t recall that one. Hasn’t been much in the way of “interesting routings” for many years - AE or AC
Old Nov 7, 2020, 9:58 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by yyztozag
When will I be able to book an AE ticket?
Noon November 9th based off the latest update
yyztozag likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 1:06 am

Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Hertz Gold
Credit card signup bonuses are now up:

Amex: https://www.americanexpress.com/ca/e...quick_aeroplan

Regular card = 15,000 pts + buddy pass
Earn 9,000 Aeroplan points1 and a bonus Buddy Pass2 for an eligible round-trip flight within North America after spending $1,500 in purchases within the first three months of Cardmembership.
Plus, you can also earn 1,000 Aeroplan points for each monthly billing period in which you spend $500 in purchases on your Card for the first six months of Cardmembership. That could add up to 6,000 Aeroplan points.1

Reserve (and business reserve) card = 65,000 pts + $100 statement credit
Earn 35,000 Aeroplan points and a $100 Statement Credit after spending $3,000 ($5,000 for business reserve card) in purchases within the first three months of Cardmembership.1
Plus, you can also earn 5,000 Aeroplan points for each monthly billing period in which you spend $1,000 ($2,000 for business reserve card) in purchases on your Card for the first six months of Cardmembership. That could add up to 30,000 Aeroplan points.1

TD: https://www.td.com/ca/en/personal-ba...ards/aeroplan/
Platinum card = 10,000 pts on first purchase + FYF for primary and secondary card
Infinite card = 10,000 pts on first purchase + FYF for primary and secondary card + buddy pass after spending $1,000 in first 90 days
Infinite privilege card = 50,000 pts (20,000 on first purchase, plus 30,000 after spending $1,000 in first 90 days) + buddy pass after spending $1,000 in first 90 days
Business card = 10,000 pts on first purchase + up to $247 fee rebate for primary and two secondary cards + buddy pass after spending $1,000 in first 90 days

CIBC hasn't updated their website yet.

Last edited by guessaaa; Nov 8, 2020 at 1:16 am
Old Nov 8, 2020, 3:36 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
I wish I had taken some screen shots on the Altitude site since I don’t trust these people as far as I can throw them.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by guessaaa

Earn 9,000 Aeroplan points1 and a bonus Buddy Pass2 for an eligible round-trip flight within North America after spending $1,500 in purchases within the first three months of Cardmembership.
Plus, you can also earn 1,000 Aeroplan points for each monthly billing period in which you spend $500 in purchases on your Card for the first six months of Cardmembership. That could add up to 6,000 Aeroplan points.1

Earn 35,000 Aeroplan points and a $100 Statement Credit after spending $3,000 ($5,000 for business reserve card) in purchases within the first three months of Cardmembership.1
Plus, you can also earn 5,000 Aeroplan points for each monthly billing period in which you spend $1,000 ($2,000 for business reserve card) in purchases on your Card for the first six months of Cardmembership. That could add up to 30,000 Aeroplan points.1

Platinum card = 10,000 pts on first purchase + FYF for primary and secondary card
Infinite card = 10,000 pts on first purchase + FYF for primary and secondary card + buddy pass after spending $1,000 in first 90 days
Infinite privilege card = 50,000 pts (20,000 on first purchase, plus 30,000 after spending $1,000 in first 90 days) + buddy pass after spending $1,000 in first 90 days
Business card = 10,000 pts on first purchase + up to $247 fee rebate for primary and two secondary cards + buddy pass after spending $1,000 in first 90 days

weaksauce offers imho
Old Nov 8, 2020, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by Argonaut1000
Don’t recall that one. Hasn’t been much in the way of “interesting routings” for many years - AE or AC
Getting to Europe for 25k in J ended like a month ago.... getting to Asia for 25k in J ended even more recently when it was outed on chinese blogs

Originally Posted by hoipolloi
weaksauce offers imho
indeed, the continued monthly spend requirement is lame
​​​​​​​

Last edited by rankourabu; Nov 8, 2020 at 6:12 am
Old Nov 8, 2020, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by guessaaa

Here is the CIBC page: https://www.cibc.com/en/personal-ban...lege-card.html

Earn 20,000 Aeroplan points on your first purchase†

Plus, get a one-time Bonus Companion Pass/Buddy Pass anywhere Air Canada flies in North America when you spend $3,000 or more during the first 4 months from the date the credit card account is opened.†, ‡

Nothing in the benefits about rolling over e-ups for example.

That was for infinite privilege. For regular infinite, page is here: https://www.cibc.com/en/personal-ban...nite-card.html

Earn 10,000 Aeroplan points on your first purchase†

You also get a one-time Bonus Companion Pass/Buddy Pass anywhere Air Canada flies in North America when you spend $3,000 or more during your first 4 months from the date the credit card account is opened.†, ‡

Plus, get a first-year annual fee rebate.†

Dr. PITUK

Last edited by painintheuk; Nov 8, 2020 at 8:31 am Reason: Add regular infinite card
Old Nov 8, 2020, 9:29 am

Programs: AC SE, AA PlatPro, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Plat & LT Gold, Hilton Gold, National EE
CIBC offers are a joke. TD offers aren't bad. Amex has decent offers but the continued spend might be more of an issue $2k per month? Really?

I think the buddy pass can unlock some real value especially since you can redeem for Flex/Comfort/Latitude fares to Hawaii and Mexico and then request and eUp for both. Something the blogs won't touch upon.

@canadiancow where are the "enhanced" benefits for Altitude Elites that you were talking about??
Old Nov 8, 2020, 9:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
What do you mean? They're pretty clearly listed.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by MillennialMiles
CIBC offers are a joke. TD offers aren't bad. Amex has decent offers but the continued spend might be more of an issue $2k per month? Really?

I think the buddy pass can unlock some real value especially since you can redeem for Flex/Comfort/Latitude fares to Hawaii and Mexico and then request and eUp for both. Something the blogs won't touch upon.

@canadiancow where are the "enhanced" benefits for Altitude Elites that you were talking about??
Buddy pass has a upper limit of $599 though, its hard to imagine you can do anything above flex at that price.

Update: As a few other FTers kindly pointed out, the comment was not correct (I misread the terms) - my apologies for the confusion and swirl this caused.

Originally Posted by hoipolloi
weaksauce offers imho
Given the economic climate, you can understand why most FIs are reducing their marketing expenses.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jun 22, 2021 at 5:34 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same user
Old Nov 8, 2020, 10:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I was 95% sure I'd be applying for the Amex, but now I'm heavily leaning toward the TD Infinite Privilege. I can technically get a larger point bonus on the Amex, but the requirement to spend over time in low amounts will be too challenging for me. $10k within 6 months would be a lot easier than $1000/month for 6 months.

And the buddy pass looks reasonably useful to me.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 10:28 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Buddy pass has a upper limit of $599 though, its hard to imagine you can do anything above flex at that price.
It does? Where is that detailed, I'm not able to find anything about an upper limit.
canadiancow, gcashin and YOWgary like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.