Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 12, 2020, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
You must call in for stopovers, multi-city, or complicated routings, until the new booking system launches in 2021.

I hope others will significantly improve this wiki!

There are four zones: North America (inc Central), South America, Atlantic (including India and Western Russia), Pacific (inc Eastern Russia) and the chart is based which one you start from and which one you end up in, there's ten of these.

Cost is based on distance, which zone pair your flight is in, which class you are flying in.

Partner airlines (again) are a better deal because while Air Canada will calculate cost on a wide ranges but partner airlines are fixed to the bottom of the range.

YQ is eliminated. There's a 39 CAD fee for booking a ticket which contains a flight on a partner airline. Aside from this, there's no incentive any more to book a return flight it seems and every incentive not to.
Note: The partner booking fee is refundable, so it's basically a YQ, rather than a booking fee.

Most flights are devalued. However, the elimination of YQ sweetens this significantly. Within North America, a lot of flights became cheaper, YVR-HNL very significantly. YVR-TYO is much cheaper while YVR-AKL is a little cheaper.

A vastly more powerful booking system is promised for 2021.

There are a lot of new tricks to be learned. https://princeoftravel.com/blog/new-aeroplan-flight-rewards/ is a good start.

Information that is harder to find:
  • SE IKK redemption from the old program can be changed ("within reason") without repricing. Dates, routings, no problem. Origin/destination should be fine. But nothing that would have required a repricing under the old program. This is from Mark Nasr in https://www.facebook.com/pointsmiles...44878252851420
  • The "Activity" page only shows you the most recent ~48 transactions. See this post for information on how to get older data.
  • A partial refund may not be possible (e.g. if you book RT and outbound flight is cancelled by you or AC, to delete the first flight segment, you have to cancel the entire ticket and rebook the inbound at a potentially higher fare. It seems supervisor can grant exceptions.)
Print Wikipost

2020 Air Canada Aeroplan Program

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2020, 5:50 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA PlatPro, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Plat & LT Gold, Hilton Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Would have been nice if they had told us that. I had some stuff I wanted to try to book that I didn't get done in time.
They initially said "early afternoon" on Nov 6 which was 1pm then when I called in they said they pushed it back to 5pm EST. They didn't update the website either...
Old Nov 6, 2020, 6:00 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by MillennialMiles
They initially said "early afternoon" on Nov 6 which was 1pm then when I called in they said they pushed it back to 5pm EST. They didn't update the website either...
my spouse booked many trip to try to use up priority awards, book 7500 mile saver awards, and multi city trips with long overall distance flown that are certainly going up in price.

Last credit card authorization came thru at 5:03pm EST. I imagine the beer cart has rolled out at the Aeroplan office. At minimum the call center that works till midnight must get to go home early today.

If we call Aeroplan now, will the message say please book another carrier in the meantime until we relaunch the site?
Old Nov 6, 2020, 6:06 pm

Programs: Air Canada 50K - Hilton Diamond - Marriott Platinum
RIP AEROPLAN and ALTITUDE
Old Nov 6, 2020, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by MillennialMiles
Cut off time was 5pm EST. RIP Old Aeroplan. End of an Era
Absolutely. What a great credit card program Aeroplan was.

Lets not forget the many "promos" over the years - the 30k anywhere in the world in J "promo", the J for Y price "promo", the get to Turkey/China for 25k in J ongoing promo....
And all those, no YQ, 120k RTWs with like 8 segments in F....

Good times Aeroplan.
Old Nov 6, 2020, 6:45 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BW Diamond Select
I'm debating as to whether to cancel my Amex Aeroplan Platinum card for an RBC Westjet or Avion Infinite card. Amex was offering me $125 statement credit to remain their customer, but I still have until December to decide.

I was going to apply for the current TD Aeroplan Visa with 25K welcome bonus, but hopefully there will be a flurry of competing offers from different banks hoping to lure people to their respective program.
Old Nov 6, 2020, 7:56 pm

Alright guys. Now that the page has turned, time to confess and tell about the glitches or loopholes you learned about back in the old Aeroplan whether you exploited them or not.

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Absolutely. What a great credit card program Aeroplan was.

Lets not forget the many "promos" over the years - the 30k anywhere in the world in J "promo", the J for Y price "promo", the get to Turkey/China for 25k in J ongoing promo....
And all those, no YQ, 120k RTWs with like 8 segments in F....

Good times Aeroplan.
Were those glitches or real promos
Old Nov 6, 2020, 7:58 pm

Programs: Air Canada 50K - Hilton Diamond - Marriott Platinum
that Chinese airport that had a old Canadian Y code? ok never used it but it did exist at one point
Old Nov 6, 2020, 8:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by hoipolloi
Glitches.

Originally Posted by Aselwyn
that Chinese airport that had a old Canadian Y code? ok never used it but it did exist at one point
If by "at one point" you mean several weeks ago, sure.
Old Nov 6, 2020, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by hoipolloi
Alright guys. Now that the page has turned, time to confess and tell about the glitches or loopholes you learned about back in the old Aeroplan whether you exploited them or not.
This one was on FT in 2014 Glitch / Error in AC award pricing - on the blogs
It was pricing the whole itinerary for the amount of the first stopover I believe
I remember flying HKG to RIO for 30k roundtrip

There was also one in 2011 What happens when... where Aeroplan was pricing all business awards as economy and even phone agents were booking it that way, and it lasted quite a while, because I know lots of friends and family took advantage of this one.

That and a dozen miscoded airports in Turkey, China, New Zealand, Africa....

Edit: Didnt take advantage of this one, but J for the price of PY on the app was a recent one as well
canadiancow and hoipolloi like this.

Last edited by rankourabu; Nov 6, 2020 at 8:25 pm
Old Nov 6, 2020, 8:33 pm

Programs: AE
Originally Posted by rankourabu
There was also one in 2011 What happens when... where Aeroplan was pricing all business awards as economy and even phone agents were booking it that way, and it lasted quite a while, because I know lots of friends and family took advantage of this one.
This one was NOT a mistake. It was a "Surprise and Delight sale'
Old Nov 6, 2020, 9:48 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K/Star Alliance Gold, Accor Gold, base level Marriott/Hyatt/Hilton
Just logged into Aeroplan and Altitude a few hours ago to say goodbye. It's the end of an era and it sucked leaving behind something tied to so many memories. Now enough with the sentimentality, the new program seems excellent for my purposes and I can't wait to see the full details on Sunday.
Old Nov 6, 2020, 10:56 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA PlatPro, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Plat & LT Gold, Hilton Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by TTC900Rocket
I'm debating as to whether to cancel my Amex Aeroplan Platinum card for an RBC Westjet or Avion Infinite card. Amex was offering me $125 statement credit to remain their customer, but I still have until December to decide.

I was going to apply for the current TD Aeroplan Visa with 25K welcome bonus, but hopefully there will be a flurry of competing offers from different banks hoping to lure people to their respective program.
WestJet World Elite is a joke. Sure you get the companion fare and a free checked bag but who flies WJ....those old 737s they have yet to retrofit. Not competitive enough. They just heavily devalued their "Member Exclusive" program.

If you want to apply for the TD Aeroplan VI get it now if you value the points, otherwise as per leaks the bonus goes down to 10k but you do get a "buddy pass" which is good for anything in North America (including HI and Mexico) for any Y fare class including comfort and flex (no base fare!) you just have to pay the taxes and fees.

Q1/2 2021 should have better bonuses.
TTC900Rocket likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2020, 11:05 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
RIP Aeroplan. You will be missed. Truly an end of an era.
Old Nov 7, 2020, 3:31 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by CPYVR
This one was NOT a mistake. It was a "Surprise and Delight sale'
Yes! I remember that one well! They knew very well about the unpublished sale and let it ride.
Old Nov 7, 2020, 6:22 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Official: launch delayed to November 9. Not looking too hot thus far.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.