What happens when...

Old Dec 2, 11, 2:04 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: YOW-YUL-YHZ
Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Fairmont PC, AC nobody, VIPorter, National Exec, Hertz #1 Club Gold
Posts: 60
What happens when...

I'm looking at booking a trip on AP.

However, the number of miles needed for this trip is less than it should be according to the mileage chart (i.e., J-class only requires the Y-class mile amount).

I can get to the final payment page and still it shows the erroneous amount of points. If I book and pay the fee/taxes...what are the chances I get to fly J for the points of Y?

Any one ever have a similar experience?
headhunter is offline  
Old Dec 2, 11, 2:12 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Whitehorse, Yukon
Programs: Aeroplan Elite, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador & Priority Club Plat, Hhonors Gold, Air Miles Gold
Posts: 312
Originally Posted by headhunter View Post
I'm looking at booking a trip on AP.

However, the number of miles needed for this trip is less than it should be according to the mileage chart (i.e., J-class only requires the Y-class mile amount).

I can get to the final payment page and still it shows the erroneous amount of points. If I book and pay the fee/taxes...what are the chances I get to fly J for the points of Y?

Any one ever have a similar experience?
Hmmm...I can't think of a reason for this - is it exactly the correct amount of Y points as the total even though it's all in J? Or just a lesser amount than the J pts should be? What airlines and zones / continents?
YukonYXY is offline  
Old Dec 2, 11, 2:19 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: YOW-YUL-YHZ
Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Fairmont PC, AC nobody, VIPorter, National Exec, Hertz #1 Club Gold
Posts: 60
Originally Posted by YukonYXY View Post
Hmmm...I can't think of a reason for this - is it exactly the correct amount of Y points as the total even though it's all in J? Or just a lesser amount than the J pts should be? What airlines and zones / continents?
It is strange, first time I've seen it.

It's the exact amount of Y points needed.

Includes a TATL and a TPAC routing. A combo of J/Y seats.
headhunter is offline  
Old Dec 2, 11, 2:22 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Calgary
Programs: A Few
Posts: 2,339
If you can get the website to book the ticket I would suggest you do it now. The error you have discovered is global on the AE website and will now likely be shut down very quickly.

mini-RTW's are on sale for 75k in Business and 125K in First.
yycworldtraveler is offline  
Old Dec 2, 11, 2:27 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Whitehorse, Yukon
Programs: Aeroplan Elite, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador & Priority Club Plat, Hhonors Gold, Air Miles Gold
Posts: 312
Originally Posted by yycworldtraveler View Post
If you can get the website to book the ticket I would suggest you do it now. The error you have discovered is global on the AE website and will now likely be shut down very quickly.

mini-RTW's are on sale for 75k in Business and 125K in First.
Just checked myself and was about to report the same thing! Lufthansa First from NA - Europe and then on to Asia = 125k!
YukonYXY is offline  
Old Dec 2, 11, 2:28 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: PHL, NYC, DC
Posts: 9,595
Originally Posted by yycworldtraveler View Post
If you can get the website to book the ticket I would suggest you do it now. The error you have discovered is global on the AE website and will now likely be shut down very quickly.

mini-RTW's are on sale for 75k in Business and 125K in First.
You cannot do MiniRTW will many legs, as they will involve an agent....and they will find out this loophole!
global happy traveller is offline  
Old Dec 2, 11, 2:29 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Calgary
Programs: A Few
Posts: 2,339
Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller View Post
You cannot do MiniRTW will many legs, as they will involve an agent....and they will find out this loophole!
Correct...but you could do a simple 3 leg booking and call in later and have an agent make changes for you.
yycworldtraveler is offline  
Old Dec 2, 11, 2:32 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: PHL, NYC, DC
Posts: 9,595
Originally Posted by yycworldtraveler View Post
Correct...but you could do a simple 3 leg booking and call in later and have an agent make changes for you.

they will review the points upon calculation! happened to me before, change trip and they wanted to charge me 10K points more (which was wrong) eek!
global happy traveller is offline  
Old Dec 2, 11, 2:32 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: YUL
Programs: AC*SE 2012/13 /CIBC AP Gold/&BIS
Posts: 2,284
book it book it book it
getaround is offline  
Old Dec 2, 11, 2:34 pm
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Anywhere I need to be.
Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 16,046
Just booked a mini RTW in F.
YVR-LAX (UA)-SIN (SQ) (stop)-BKK (SQ) (POT)-ZRH (LX) (stop) - FRA (LX) - JFK (SQ) -SFO (UA) -YVR (UA).
Not afraid of any possible consequences, as I only had 135k pts in my acct.
AA_EXP09 is offline  
Old Dec 2, 11, 2:37 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: YUL
Programs: AC Altitude -.006k
Posts: 895
Originally Posted by headhunter View Post
I'm looking at booking a trip on AP.

However, the number of miles needed for this trip is less than it should be according to the mileage chart (i.e., J-class only requires the Y-class mile amount).

I can get to the final payment page and still it shows the erroneous amount of points. If I book and pay the fee/taxes...what are the chances I get to fly J for the points of Y?

Any one ever have a similar experience?
I saw the same thing today on a direct YUL-LHR, 60,000 for both Y and J. However, fees were $600 and $900, respectively.

But if that suits you go ahead and pull the trigger before it disappears.

FWIW, I've also seen off-peak season flights to CDG in J with reduced mileage.

Happy travels, now I'm off to see if there's a routing out there for me...!

Whitey

Last edited by WhiteYUL; Dec 2, 11 at 2:39 pm Reason: typos
WhiteYUL is offline  
Old Dec 2, 11, 2:38 pm
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Anywhere I need to be.
Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 16,046
Originally Posted by WhiteYUL View Post
I saw the same thing today on a direct YUL-LHR, 60,000 for both Y and J. However, fees were $600 and $900, respectively.

But if that suits you go ahead and pull the trigger before it disappears.

FWIW, I've also seen off-peak season flights to CDG in J with reduced mileage.

Happy travels, now I'm off to see if there's a routing out tehre foe me...!

Whitey
You should have done YUL-ZRH-LHR to avoid YQ...
And, for some Krug, I would do YUL-LGA-JFK-FRA-LON to get a suite in SQ.

Last edited by AA_EXP09; Dec 2, 11 at 2:39 pm Reason: Krug
AA_EXP09 is offline  
Old Dec 2, 11, 2:42 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: YUL
Programs: AC Altitude -.006k
Posts: 895
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09 View Post
You should have done YUL-ZRH-LHR to avoid YQ...
And, for some Krug, I would do YUL-LGA-JFK-FRA-LON to get a suite in SQ.
Just a dummy booking - only shopping. the ZRH option wasn't displayed as being available on the sample date I looked. If, I were to pull the trigger I would certainly look at LX (while there is still not YQ) as the $ savings is worth the conenction. I've had good expereinces on LX J and ZRH is pretty efficient for connections. Besides, the kids' play area is pretty awesome. Maybe one day when I have kids I'll take them there...!

Whitey
WhiteYUL is offline  
Old Dec 2, 11, 2:46 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Whitehorse, Yukon
Programs: Aeroplan Elite, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador & Priority Club Plat, Hhonors Gold, Air Miles Gold
Posts: 312
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09 View Post
Just booked a mini RTW in F.
YVR-LAX (UA)-SIN (SQ) (stop)-BKK (SQ) (POT)-ZRH (LX) (stop) - FRA (LX) - JFK (SQ) -SFO (UA) -YVR (UA).
Not afraid of any possible consequences, as I only had 135k pts in my acct.
You called in obviously...and the agent didn't notice / say anything!?
YukonYXY is offline  
Old Dec 2, 11, 2:48 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: PHL, NYC, DC
Posts: 9,595
i have search results like YYZ-BOS-FRA-SIN from the search engine
global happy traveller is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: