Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 12, 2020, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
You must call in for stopovers, multi-city, or complicated routings, until the new booking system launches in 2021.

I hope others will significantly improve this wiki!

There are four zones: North America (inc Central), South America, Atlantic (including India and Western Russia), Pacific (inc Eastern Russia) and the chart is based which one you start from and which one you end up in, there's ten of these.

Cost is based on distance, which zone pair your flight is in, which class you are flying in.

Partner airlines (again) are a better deal because while Air Canada will calculate cost on a wide ranges but partner airlines are fixed to the bottom of the range.

YQ is eliminated. There's a 39 CAD fee for booking a ticket which contains a flight on a partner airline. Aside from this, there's no incentive any more to book a return flight it seems and every incentive not to.
Note: The partner booking fee is refundable, so it's basically a YQ, rather than a booking fee.

Most flights are devalued. However, the elimination of YQ sweetens this significantly. Within North America, a lot of flights became cheaper, YVR-HNL very significantly. YVR-TYO is much cheaper while YVR-AKL is a little cheaper.

A vastly more powerful booking system is promised for 2021.

There are a lot of new tricks to be learned. https://princeoftravel.com/blog/new-aeroplan-flight-rewards/ is a good start.

Information that is harder to find:
  • SE IKK redemption from the old program can be changed ("within reason") without repricing. Dates, routings, no problem. Origin/destination should be fine. But nothing that would have required a repricing under the old program. This is from Mark Nasr in https://www.facebook.com/pointsmiles...44878252851420
  • The "Activity" page only shows you the most recent ~48 transactions. See this post for information on how to get older data.
  • A partial refund may not be possible (e.g. if you book RT and outbound flight is cancelled by you or AC, to delete the first flight segment, you have to cancel the entire ticket and rebook the inbound at a potentially higher fare. It seems supervisor can grant exceptions.)
Print Wikipost

2020 Air Canada Aeroplan Program

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2020, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by SkyElite
I realize that it's going to be 75K one way no matter what, with 5K aeroplan points if I want to add an additional stopover on top of the final destination?
It's 75k per direction under current system. Stop-over is free if booked as round-trip under current system as well.
Stop-over is 5K additional points under new system.

Also the new program eliminates the scam charges?
Carrier surcharges are replaced with a flat fee for booking any trip on partner airlines.

IF the points are more or less the same, I'd rather wait to book -- that is I prefer to make this trip in late 2022..
New system points requirement is based on total distance travel per direction. I suggest you look up the new chart and calculate the points requirement yourself.
Old Oct 20, 2020, 5:32 am

Programs: AC MM SE, Marriott Titanium - Lifetime Plat 2nd Class, National Executive, Avis PP
I am looking at doing the same thing for an October trip (given that Aeroplan is no longer showing any EVA availability out of Japan to TPE). The 105K for F and 75K for J do not have a YQ scam charge at this point (Carrier surcharge from NGO-HND-ORD-YYZ is $1.32). Only the standard taxes exist ($90). Have not been able to find any availability on their new Business/First product unfortunately (only used on HND/NRT - JFK and no inventory on AP - shocker )

Good Luck with your trip.

CC
Old Oct 20, 2020, 10:01 am

Migration to new Aeroplan

Email received on migration:

Spoiler

Full details: https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...migration.html

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jun 22, 2021 at 5:32 pm Reason: Wrap excessively large images in spoiler tags
Old Oct 20, 2020, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by Captain Canuck
I am looking at doing the same thing for an October trip (given that Aeroplan is no longer showing any EVA availability out of Japan to TPE). The 105K for F and 75K for J do not have a YQ scam charge at this point (Carrier surcharge from NGO-HND-ORD-YYZ is $1.32). Only the standard taxes exist ($90). Have not been able to find any availability on their new Business/First product unfortunately (only used on HND/NRT - JFK and no inventory on AP - shocker )

Good Luck with your trip.

CC
Thank you. Yeah couldn't find anything either.
Old Oct 20, 2020, 12:14 pm

Programs: AC SE
To build on a pet peeve of mine... Again, this email says that Select Privileges must be picked before October 31st but the website says October 31st is the final date to do so:

Choosing your 2020 Altitude Select PrivilegesIf you reached Air Canada Altitude status and have yet to choose your Select Privileges for 2020, please note that the final date to do so is October 31, 2020. As in previous years, after that date, it will not be possible to make a selection.

For more on Select Privileges, visit the Air Canada Altitude website.
Which is it, AC??
Old Oct 20, 2020, 2:17 pm

Programs: AC SE 100K
And - what about star alliance upgrade awards? I use those all the time. What does "Later in 2021" mean? To me that means in late 2021 - - as opposed to later . . . . around the beginning of 2021. Perhaps they have not yet figured out how to price those - - - !!! I need these too as I have a D-Class ticket on LX in December I wanted to upgrade - but the flight has not yet essentially been confirmed to it will be re-routed . .

Don't take too long on that one Air Canada!!!
Old Oct 20, 2020, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by zrh2yvr
And - what about star alliance upgrade awards? I use those all the time. What does "Later in 2021" mean? To me that means in late 2021 - - as opposed to later . . . . around the beginning of 2021. Perhaps they have not yet figured out how to price those - - - !!! I need these too as I have a D-Class ticket on LX in December I wanted to upgrade - but the flight has not yet essentially been confirmed to it will be re-routed . .

Doesn't upgrading D on Swiss require O class?
Which is never available to Aeroplan redeemed?
Old Oct 20, 2020, 6:27 pm

Does this mean if I want to transfer 60K marriott points to Aeroplan, I should do it ASAP?
Old Oct 20, 2020, 10:27 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by zrh2yvr

Yeah they kind of dropped the ball on this one IMHO. It's not good that every other program can continue to use this even on AC flights, but AC can't avail the same to its own members and those who want to upgrade on other carriers. The COVID excuse of less people travelling is weak and they can always do it manually if they wanted and don't have the IT system ready. Hopefully they forgot a comma and meant to say "later, in 2021".
Old Oct 20, 2020, 11:26 pm

IF the points are more or less the same, I'd rather wait to book -- that is I prefer to make this trip in late 2022.
Keep in mind that AP awards can only be booked at most 355 days out, so you would need to complete your trip by end of October 2021 if you’re booking an award under the current AP rules. As someone already mentioned, it would be additional 5k miles for stopover and $39 partner surcharges after Nov. 8.

I also wanted to book JFK-HND on the new ANA J but couldn't find any inventory on AP, so for now I booked 2 in J for YYZ-YVR-HND-KIX on the "old" ANA J for May 2021 that I could cancel if better inventory shows up on the new AP to save on the extra miles and surcharges.
Captain Canuck likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 5:40 am

Stupid question, but will AMEX MR still transfer 1:1 after Nov 8th? Thinking of booking a ticket to YYZ-BOM in early Jan. Suggestions? Should I move 100K points over or wait till after Nov 8?
Old Oct 22, 2020, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by jonzy10
Keep in mind that AP awards can only be booked at most 355 days out, so you would need to complete your trip by end of October 2021 if you’re booking an award under the current AP rules. As someone already mentioned, it would be additional 5k miles for stopover and $39 partner surcharges after Nov. 8.

I also wanted to book JFK-HND on the new ANA J but couldn't find any inventory on AP, so for now I booked 2 in J for YYZ-YVR-HND-KIX on the "old" ANA J for May 2021 that I could cancel if better inventory shows up on the new AP to save on the extra miles and surcharges.

I booked, for now, outbound on ANA F from JFK-HND-PVG (taxes about $243 CAD) and inbound on EVA J, PVG-TPE-YYZ (taxes about $18 CAD) this is all first two weeks of Sept 2021 with ANA F on Aug. 31.

Both would have cost a lot more miles (given that I'm traveling to China) after Nov. 8. Just so happens I don't need to stopover in Japan (since I already am doing a trip to Japan in May 2021).

Last edited by SkyElite; Oct 22, 2020 at 8:37 am
Old Oct 22, 2020, 9:03 am

I had a question re: the family sharing pool. I've read that redemptions would have points deducted proportionally from each account.

If a redemption required all of each members points (i.e. a 200k point redemption requiring 170k of my own and 30k of my family member's) would it just deduct from us both until it gets enough for the redemption?

Not sure if anyone knows the answer at this point
Old Oct 22, 2020, 9:34 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Originally Posted by jonzy10

Plenty of ANA F JFK-HND in September 2021
Old Oct 22, 2020, 9:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sameruval
I had a question re: the family sharing pool. I've read that redemptions would have points deducted proportionally from each account.

If a redemption required all of each members points (i.e. a 200k point redemption requiring 170k of my own and 30k of my family member's) would it just deduct from us both until it gets enough for the redemption?

Not sure if anyone knows the answer at this point
BA Avios program had family pooling. Deductions were proportional to the number of points. So if A has 50% of the total points in the account, B has 30% C has 20%, the total being irrelevant but say 1M for this example. when you redeem a 100k reward, the deductions would be 50k, 30k, and 20k points respectively. I would assume that Aeroplan will work the same way.

edit to further clarify: if you had 170k points (68% of total) and a family member had 80k (32% of total) points and you redeem a 200k point ticket, then 136k (68% of cost) would be deducted from your points and 64k (32% of cost) from the other person in the pool.
lsquare and Adam Smith like this.

Last edited by BenSenise; Oct 22, 2020 at 9:56 am Reason: to further clarify

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.