Old Aug 12, 2020, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
You must call in for stopovers, multi-city, or complicated routings, until the new booking system launches in 2021.

I hope others will significantly improve this wiki!

There are four zones: North America (inc Central), South America, Atlantic (including India and Western Russia), Pacific (inc Eastern Russia) and the chart is based which one you start from and which one you end up in, there's ten of these.

Cost is based on distance, which zone pair your flight is in, which class you are flying in.

Partner airlines (again) are a better deal because while Air Canada will calculate cost on a wide ranges but partner airlines are fixed to the bottom of the range.

YQ is eliminated. There's a 39 CAD fee for booking a ticket which contains a flight on a partner airline. Aside from this, there's no incentive any more to book a return flight it seems and every incentive not to.
Note: The partner booking fee is refundable, so it's basically a YQ, rather than a booking fee.

Most flights are devalued. However, the elimination of YQ sweetens this significantly. Within North America, a lot of flights became cheaper, YVR-HNL very significantly. YVR-TYO is much cheaper while YVR-AKL is a little cheaper.

A vastly more powerful booking system is promised for 2021.

There are a lot of new tricks to be learned. https://princeoftravel.com/blog/new-aeroplan-flight-rewards/ is a good start.

Information that is harder to find:
  • SE IKK redemption from the old program can be changed ("within reason") without repricing. Dates, routings, no problem. Origin/destination should be fine. But nothing that would have required a repricing under the old program. This is from Mark Nasr in https://www.facebook.com/pointsmiles...44878252851420
  • The "Activity" page only shows you the most recent ~48 transactions. See this post for information on how to get older data.
  • A partial refund may not be possible (e.g. if you book RT and outbound flight is cancelled by you or AC, to delete the first flight segment, you have to cancel the entire ticket and rebook the inbound at a potentially higher fare. It seems supervisor can grant exceptions.)
Print Wikipost

2020 Air Canada Aeroplan Program

Old Aug 11, 2020, 9:00 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Yes to both. I'm not sure where else this priority would apply other than eUps though, so "many" services sounds like a stretch.
Standbys?

More interesting would be how someone that is MM but not a credit card holder stacks up against someone that is a credit card holder, but not MM.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 9:07 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Not true. With BAEC, when one person has activity, it extends the expiration for all family members.
Wrong. There has to be activity in each individual account to preserve that account's miles.

A redemption pulls miles from each account, so a redemption counts as activity for each member, but if there's no activity in an account, that account's miles will expire. Earning miles in one account does nothing to extend the expiry of any of the others.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Aug 11, 2020 at 9:13 am Reason: Corrected typo
Old Aug 11, 2020, 9:13 am

Programs: AC SE
Looks like it's a pretty big devaluation for domestic J rewards, especially for the longer domestic trips. A YVR-YYT is currently 50K points return in J. The points predictor tool gives a range of between 70-140K for a round trip J ticket, so that's an increase of between 40%-180%. That's likely an outlier on the upper range, but that's a huge devaluation for domestic J trips.

It's also pretty annoying that the priority awards don't apply to domestic J rewards except for SE's. I would have thought they might offer some domestic J priority rewards to E50/E75 level.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 9:15 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
RIP Altitude.

New program reads extremely mediocre to me, especially if you are a SE
Old Aug 11, 2020, 9:20 am

Programs: IHG Gold
For those who want to see changes to the TD VIsa Infinite, they are here. This is for the non-privilege card

https://www.td.com/ca/en/personal-ba...sainfiniteFAQ/

I like they will reimburse for Nexus and there is some improvement on the minor insurance stuff. Nominal cost increase of $19 per year, and still free if you are a TD All inclusive account holder
Old Aug 11, 2020, 9:30 am

Programs: AC SE, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Accor Diamond, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mapleg
For those who want to see changes to the TD VIsa Infinite, they are here. This is for the non-privilege card

https://www.td.com/ca/en/personal-ba...sainfiniteFAQ/

I like they will reimburse for Nexus and there is some improvement on the minor insurance stuff. Nominal cost increase of $19 per year, and still free if you are a TD All inclusive account holder
Oh good:
  • 1 point for every $1 spent on all other Purchases, including Drugstore Purchases
Old Aug 11, 2020, 9:34 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by keitherson
New program reads extremely mediocre to me, especially if you are a SE
Yeah, at the moment, there's a lot of bad, and very little positive. You'll have to pay several hundred dollars a year for a credit card that will give you rollover QMs (and surely there will be a cap on those - how many?) and eUps (great, so my balance will just keep climbing and climbing).

They're really not changing the earn rates for QMs, other than perhaps simplifying a bit at the bottom. This continues to leave AC's program as a joke when it comes to elite credit for premium fares, relative to many of its peers.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 9:40 am

Programs: Aeroplan 25K , UA ,WJ, HA, AMEX AP Reserve
Waiting for AMEX to drop their info. Right now I have The AMEX Aeroplat, the TD Infinite (not privilege) and the BMO World Elite card (No AC status). At first blush, it would appear
that the BMO card will be toast (wont need the Priority lounge passes if I can get the missus into MLL for free) and prob even look at ditching AMEX if I upgrade to the
Infinite Privilege. Total fees should come out the same (depending if AMEX hikes the fee) or even a bit lower plus would no longer have to worry about merchants that dont take AMEX.
Question is- do I apply for the upgrade from Infinite to Privilege now (before Nov 8) or wait until after? Might be able to wangle the signup points if I do it before.
Waiting on AMEX.....
Old Aug 11, 2020, 9:43 am

Programs: AC 35K, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by SFO777
Massive devaluation? LOL. More fake news.
110/115 to 140 for J and 140/160 to 200 for F on Europe partners with the elimination of YQ is reasonable considering UA is already at 242K for RT First.
Considering LH YQ can be as much as US$1,200-$1,300 RT, Aeroplan has actually reduced award prices in many cases.
I think it says the YQ waiver only applies to Air Canada flights? I'm guess the high YQ will still apply on LH flights tho
Old Aug 11, 2020, 9:43 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Taking my first pass through all of this, I can't say I'm too surprised given the trend with other similar programs. And Aeroplan domestic rewards were never that great a use of points for me. But the IKK change has me really conflicted.

My typical reward pattern is that several times a year, I book two pax in J, somewhere across an ocean, and book as early as possible.

So given that, when using my IKK privileges, I was 'competing' with other SEs who were similarly proactive. But the inventory was often very limited, and often booked the outbound and return as separate PNRs which burned through my PRs faster. And sometimes this meant getting mixed class flights which required ongoing monitoring and a call back later. Thankfully, I never had to chance showing up at the airport hoping for available J space.

But soon, I will have access to more J seats, but possibly requiring many more points, and the occasional 'discount' if I am lucky. But I will have a very, very limited number of discounts, even if booking round trips. And I will be competing with more pax than just SEs.

Given the current turmoil with long term schedules, maybe speculation is pointless. But I guess I will have to see how this works out in reality.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Some initial observations:
  • What are they going to offer to SE's to avoid this being seen as a particularly massive devaluation to that group? trading IKK for a few vouchers likely isn't going to cut it. YQ has now gone away for everybody - great for non-SE's but it is now a lost differentiator.
  • It will be interesting to see how often (rarely) awards are available at the lower end of the value range. If those are generally available, then the higher cost may be worth the trade. If as I expect the odds of finding the low priced options are like winning the lottery, then this becomes an even bigger devaluation.
  • Have they published the future earning chart that will launch in late 2021? I suspect long-haul non-J travellers will be earning less than they do now.
  • Will they still track million mile total flying distance or will that be wound down with existing beneficiaries possibly grandfathered?
Old Aug 11, 2020, 9:44 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
I haven't found any detail on what happens when you book, say, YOW-ORD-TYO-SIN-TPE-YYZ-YOW, with everything but YYZ-YOW on partner metal.

Does that get charged dynamically as an AC award, or fixed-price as a partner award?

What about TPE-HKG-YYZ, with the short leg on EVA and the long leg on AC?

EDIT: I see this from Gary Leff:

"If you’re booking a partner award that includes an Air Canada segment, and the Air Canada flight you want isn’t available as a saver award, that won’t require pricing the whole itinerary more expensively. Instead booking a more expensive Air Canada segment increases the price of the award proportional to distance of that segment."

Last edited by YOWgary; Aug 11, 2020 at 9:52 am
Old Aug 11, 2020, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by Andrew Zhao
I think it says the YQ waiver only applies to Air Canada flights? I'm guess the high YQ will still apply on LH flights tho
my read is that YQ goes away and is replaced by the $39 "partner fee".
ffsim likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 9:46 am

Maybe noted already, but I saw that earning and status year will both be calendar based. And that COVID extension is to end of 2021 not end of Feb 2022.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 9:47 am

Programs: AC SE, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
Originally Posted by SFO777
Massive devaluation? LOL. More fake news.
110/115 to 140 for J and 140/160 to 200 for F on Europe partners with the elimination of YQ is reasonable considering UA is already at 242K for RT First.
Considering LH YQ can be as much as US$1,200-$1,300 RT, Aeroplan has actually reduced award prices in many cases.

Are they not charging YQ on 3rd party carriers? Or just AC metal?

Ron.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.