Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Priority Rewards (Aeroplan 2.0) - information & experiences

Old Sep 15, 2022, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
Here are some common questions and answers.

What are Priority Rewards?

Priority Rewards (sometimes abbreviated as PRs) discount the base fare of a flight reward by 50%. (It does not discount taxes, fees, charges and, where applicable, the partner booking fee.)

Who can accumulate Priority Rewards?

Anyone with Aeroplan status.

What do some people refer to Priority Rewards as IKK?

Because of arcane Air Canada history. The new Aeroplan 2020 program was a major revamp to the approach to Priority Rewards.

How do I earn Priority Rewards?

You earn Priority Rewards through accumulating Status Qualifying Dollars (SQD). You will earn a voucher when you cross the 4,000, 7,000, and 10,000 SQD thresholds, and for every 5,000 SQD earned above 10,000 SQD up to a maximum of 50,000 SQD. (Note: You can also earn Priority Rewards through spending on the US-dollar Chase Aeroplan Card.)

How long are Priority Rewards valid for?

Each Priority Reward you earn will have its own expiry date which will be generally one year from the date you earned the reward.

You must complete a booking by the expiry date. The actual flight dates are somewhat irrelevant as long as its a valid booking.

FTers report that a PR appears to expire at 23:59 UTC on your listed expiry day, although some have had difficulty even earlier in the day. Booking a day or two before expiry might be wise.

Do I need one or two Priority Rewards for a return or multi-city trip itinerary?

You need one. Priority Rewards apply to an entire itinerary.

Do I need multiple Priority Rewards for multiple passengers?

Yes, you need one Priority Reward per passenger.

On what flights can I use Priority Rewards?

It depends on your Aeroplan status:
  • 25K: economy class bookings within Canada and the US
  • 35K* or 50K: economy or premium economy class bookings within North America
  • 75K: economy or premium economy class bookings anywhere in the world
  • SE: economy, premium economy, or business class bookings anywhere in the world
*35K Priority Rewards earned prior to 2023 are only for Canada and US.

Can I book an itinerary that includes some ineligible segments if I just pay full price for those legs?

No, all legs need to be eligible.

If I achieve a higher Aeroplan status...
  • will my existing Priority Rewards be "upgraded"?
    • and qualify for early recognition at the time I also qualify for another PR which type will I receive

What if my status goes down?

Same thing, your PRs stay exactly as they were when you earned them.

If my status has changed and I have different types of PR, can I combine them on one booking as long as theyre eligible?

No. While this might theoretically be feasible, the Aeroplan system is not currently set up to accommodate this. You need to have enough PRs in the same category for all passengers on a booking.

If I cancel my booking, will I get my Priority Reward back?

Yes if that Priority Reward is still valid; no, if that Priority Reward has expired.

If I have applied a Priority Reward to a booking, is there any way to find out its expiry date?

No. You need to track this yourself.

If I cancel my booking, how long will it take to get my Priority Reward back?

It is usually instant.

What happens if I want to make changes to a flight reward with a Priority Reward?

The repricing of the flight should still account for the Priority Reward even if the Priority Reward itself would have expired at the time you make a change (although you should double-check that the 50% discount has correctly been applied). All other change rules/fees apply as normal.

Can I use a Priority Reward to book a flight reward for someone other than myself (or even a family member)?

Yes. You can use PRs for anyone. You do not need to be on the booking.

How do I use a Priority Reward?

Search for a flight reward using the website or app. Look for a rewards available or credits and discounts overlay at the bottom of the screen and select Priority Rewards.
      Print Wikipost

Old Aug 11, 2020, 4:43 am
      Original Poster

Programs: AC SE

My favorite Aeroplan plan benefit as a SuperElite flyer has been IKK. As I understand it now, every seat has become available for points redemption, so the old version of IKK which offered extra inventory is redundant. Is that reading it correct? And now the new benefit is the Priority Rewards that would allow me to book a seat with only 50% of the points. Again, does that sound correct?
      Old Aug 11, 2020, 5:34 am

Programs: AC SE100K
      Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
      My favorite Aeroplan plan benefit as a SuperElite flyer has been IKK. As I understand it now, every seat has become available for points redemption, so the old version of IKK which offered extra inventory is redundant. Is that reading it correct? And now the new benefit is the Priority Rewards that would allow me to book a seat with only 50% of the points. Again, does that sound correct?
      I believe this is correct, it would be nice to see some sort of transition from priority rewards currently held as at November 8, to the new passes as with so much inventory this year through covid, I couldn't even burn through them if I tried.

I am slightly worried about other nerfs to SE, while this program seems decent on a high level, I am dying to know what additional benefits SEs get as well as the altered select privilege chart.
      Old Aug 11, 2020, 5:36 am
      Original Poster

Originally Posted by Preo
      I believe this is correct, it would be nice to see some sort of transition from priority rewards currently held as at November 8, to the new passes as with so much inventory this year through covid, I couldn't even burn through them if I tried.

I am slightly worried about other nerfs to SE, while this program seems decent on a high level, I am dying to know what additional benefits SEs get as well as the altered select privilege chart.
      Agreed. Looking at it from an SE perspective, it seems like we've lost more than we've gained. But perhaps some things are still to be unveiled, including what it means that we can "often" redeem for fewer points. How many and how often is key!

The new Priority Rewards, is one reward valid for a one-way or a round trip?

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jul 29, 2021 at 9:39 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same user
      Old Aug 11, 2020, 6:37 am

Programs: AC SE100K
      Am I right in understanding that in place of the 10 priority rewards we'll get just 4 vouchers for reduced points? Or am I conflating something else here?

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jul 29, 2021 at 9:40 pm Reason: Edit to reflect thread move
      Old Aug 11, 2020, 8:08 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM
      "Vouchers will be deducted at the time of reservation. One Voucher is required per traveller and per Flight Reward reservation."

That is a pretty massive de-valuation if you used a PR to get a family of four on a reservation.
      Old Aug 11, 2020, 12:17 pm
      Original Poster

Prince of Travel has a pretty deep look at Priority Rewards here: https://princeoftravel.com/blog/new-aeroplan-features/
      Old Aug 11, 2020, 12:22 pm
      A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
      Prince of Travel has a pretty deep look at Priority Rewards here: https://princeoftravel.com/blog/new-aeroplan-features/
      "Unfortunately but understandably, no one will be able to redeem a Priority Reward for 50% off a First Class redemption that would be too generous."

I don't understand.
      flyingcrooked likes this.
      Old Aug 11, 2020, 3:54 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
      Yes that's how I read it, but you need vouchers to do it. Also, they're only applicable up to certain classes of travel and in certain regions, depending on your status level. What wasn't made clear is if those change as you climb the status ladder. Maybe someone else read it differently, but what I read was the following.

Reach 25k - Earn 1 voucher applicable to NA region and only economy
      Reach 50k - Earn another voucher, applicable only to region B and economy
      Reach 75 - etc

Super elite says you'd earn like 10 vouchers for all regions and all classes. Now, does that mean, when you go from 75-SE that your vouchers BECOME all regions all classes? Or do you have 1 voucher for only NA/Y and 1 voucher for B/Y etc? Also they only apply to AC flights, which is the same as IKK, but what's still unclear as is AC dynamic prices interact with fixed cost partner flights, and by extension how these would relate.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jul 29, 2021 at 9:56 pm Reason: Edit to reflect thread move
      Old Aug 12, 2020, 6:36 am

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite, Marriott Platinum
      For a super elite this change is huge! If you are going to consistently get 20K spend in AQD you will get 5 seats annually at 50% off in business world wide.

I am not sure if the vouchers are harder to use, and I am not sure if they are usable on partner airlines? But that is definitely going to cover all my annual award traveling. A SE can take their husband/wife on one annual trip and their top bro on another every year, that is pretty sweet. Or a family of 5 at 50% off anywhere.

Sure there are some devaluations but if you are redeeeming at such a generous premium you are still coming out ahead

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jul 30, 2021 at 12:23 am Reason: Edit to reflect thread move
      Old Aug 12, 2020, 7:32 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM
      Originally Posted by Wallace Cashperson
      For a super elite this change is huge! If you are going to consistently get 20K spend in AQD you will get 5 seats annually at 50% off in business world wide.

I am not sure if the vouchers are harder to use, and I am not sure if they are usable on partner airlines? But that is definitely going to cover all my annual award traveling. A SE can take their husband/wife on one annual trip and their top bro on another every year, that is pretty sweet. Or a family of 5 at 50% off anywhere.

Sure there are some devaluations but if you are redeeeming at such a generous premium you are still coming out ahead
      I am not sure I follow the logic.

Today you get without waiting for your spend 10 bookings you can make anywhere in the network at fixed pricing that is equivalent to the 50% off if not better. You can take up to eight people on each of those bookings. You could make them any time up to almost just before the flight closed.

I get that you now get access to more seats; however, at much larger pricing and your fighting everyone who has an account now.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jul 30, 2021 at 12:23 am Reason: Edit to reflect thread move
      Old Aug 12, 2020, 7:36 am

Programs: AC SE, WJ Gold, Bonvoy Titanium Ambassador
      Originally Posted by yowcat

Today you get without waiting for your spend 10 bookings you can make anywhere in the network at fixed pricing that is equivalent to the 50% off if not better. You can take up to eight people on each of those bookings. You could make them any time up to almost just before the flight closed.

I get that you now get access to more seats; however, at much larger pricing and your fighting everyone who has an account now.

Personally being able to use them on partner airlines is the difference (50% off on partner J is a great reward)

How are the current priority rewards equivalent to 50% off ?

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jun 22, 2021 at 4:58 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same user
      Old Aug 12, 2020, 9:27 am

Programs: AC 35k
      I don't get it how folks can say the new priority rewards are an improvement. Priority Rewards as they've been described are a massive devaluation for SEs. Worldwide IKK in J for up to ten redemptions on AC metal at the old chart vs. maybe 5 redemptions at 50% off dynamic pricing? What's clear about Aeroplan now is it's not really about frequent fliers, but rather a generic credit card loyalty program rewarding high spend/revenue attached to an airline. For people like me, it's a huge improvement but I can't imagine the top-revenue SEs are excited over these changes at all. And we haven't even seen the 2021 Aeroplan Elite chart yet, who knows what else is getting cut?

I don't have to purchase any flight products (including flight passes) at all to earn status - I can get P25K from 100K point earn, plus with enough spend on a premium card and a few SQD offers, mid-tier status is attainable. Certainly not the cheapest way to earn status but the concept of "frequent flier" is long gone here. It's all pure revenue.
      Old Aug 12, 2020, 9:41 am
      FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
      Originally Posted by Wallace Cashperson
      Supposedly they are usable on partner airlines, so this is indeed attractive if you can find a partner redemption... especially on carriers like LH that have decent availability but had very high YQ. If you are looking to do a couple of rounds trips with significant other and can either plan ahead or at the last minute, this will indeed be attractive to get redeptions to say Europe in J for 70,000 points in J with no YQ.

I think there are pluses and minuses depending on how you have used IKK in the past. If you made wide use of IKK, this is overall likely a big net negative for you. If you only used it a few times a year, then the new system is likely better - IKK still was significantly limited especially for international J. Now all will be available and even if the redemption is at the high end of the range AC quotes, after the 50% discount it is fairly competitive with what we "pay" now.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jul 30, 2021 at 12:25 am Reason: Edit to reflect thread move
      Old Aug 12, 2020, 9:54 am

Programs: AC SE, WJ Gold, Bonvoy Titanium Ambassador
      Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
      I don't get it how folks can say the new priority rewards are an improvement. Priority Rewards as they've been described are a massive devaluation for SEs. Worldwide IKK in J for up to ten redemptions on AC metal at the old chart vs. maybe 5 redemptions at 50% off dynamic pricing? What's clear about Aeroplan now is it's not really about frequent fliers, but rather a generic credit card loyalty program rewarding high spend/revenue attached to an airline. For people like me, it's a huge improvement but I can't imagine the top-revenue SEs are excited over these changes at all. And we haven't even seen the 2021 Aeroplan Elite chart yet, who knows what else is getting cut?

I don't have to purchase any flight products (including flight passes) at all to earn status - I can get P25K from 100K point earn, plus with enough spend on a premium card and a few SQD offers, mid-tier status is attainable. Certainly not the cheapest way to earn status but the concept of "frequent flier" is long gone here. It's all pure revenue.

I am SE and the 50% voucher is a huge positive for myself as a primarily used rewards on international partner J, getting 4 to start then easy path based on spend to 5 additional in 2021. Understand for many it may be a negative, however I was very happy to see the new voucher.
      Old Aug 12, 2020, 10:41 am

Programs: AC 35k
      Originally Posted by NB_Falcon
      I am SE and the 50% voucher is a huge positive for myself as a primarily used rewards on international partner J, getting 4 to start then easy path based on spend to 5 additional in 2021. Understand for many it may be a negative, however I was very happy to see the new voucher.
      I'd be interested to see what other SEs do. International partner J can be had from any *A airline and some other programs avoided the YQ. The real benefit to me seemed to be IKK with no YQ on AC metal.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.