Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Argonaut1000
Click here to go to a picture of the White Compensation Form and its stub

View Deflated Seat History Here (Database for submitted occurrences)
Enter New Deflated Seat Occurrence Here (Submit one if you have experienced deflated seat and it will show up in the database above)
----
From post #49 in this thread, here's one potential way to (re)inflate an AC seat:
  • Go the home screen "Your Seat". (find this on the seat side panel; not the main video screen)
    • Hold the top left hand corner "Air Canada" (with AC logo) for 3 seconds. Updated (Apr 9 18): may need to hold for as long as 45 seconds for key pad to appear
      • Dial pad shows up - hit 3-2-1.
        • Press "Reset Lumbar Support"
Note that this method has not met 100% success so YMMV.
A better method is for a crew member to use the reset switch under the seat, on the aisle side.

Compensation offers (green/white sheet completed)
40K AE- Apr 18 (50% back of the J class one way redemption)
2018 Jun - $500 coupon
2018 Sep $1,000 eCoupon or 40K AP (P fare TPAC)
2018 Sep $500 eCoupon (P fare TPAC) (no change on protest- update - 6 months later the $150 was increased to $500 - admitted they had made an error)

Compensation offers (no green/white sheet completed)
100K - May 5 (C$150 eCoupon; was moved to a functioning seat after meal service)
2017 Sept - 8,000 AE miles - reported via complaint web page after realizing it was a faulty seat, not standard discomfort; Asked for return of eUps but they declined.
2017 Nov & 2018 Feb - $500 coupons both times (second time on protest that $500 had been offered the previous time)
2018 Sep. $250 coupon (on a paid J TATL).
2018 Nov - $500 eCoupon (J TATL)

Standard eCoupon compensation offers (no haggling; following a recurring pattern)
~10+ hours: $1000
Long TPAC (TPE-YVR)

~6 to ~10 hours: $500
Short TPAC (NRT-YVR)
TATL
South America: YYZ-GRU

less than ~6 hours: 300
TCON

Have a Service Director (SD) That Is Giving You the Case of the Shrugs? Like the real life version of this ASCII emoji -> ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ?

No success with the SD and/or crew rectifying your deflated seat and you can't be/aren't accommodated to another J seat? If you asked for a compensation form and the SD says they have no idea what you are talking about, you can use the below picture of the stub portion to help freshen their memory (better than nothing)...

Please note that for the longest time, the "Green Compensation Form" version was used, and there have been recent reports of the "White Compensation Form" replacing the Green version. Reports here have indicated that the two forms are virtually identical except for the colour.
There is now an even newer White Form which explicitly lists "deflated seat" and "deflated seat and fixed", among many other items.

Here is a snapshot of the NEWEST full form (as of August 2019), courtesy of lallied

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31421855-post2093.html
Originally Posted by lallied
Clearly jinxed myself. New form in case hasnt been posted before.

Oops, see it has been. I just didn’t look far enough down ☹️

This is only the stub portion, courtesy of lallied

Originally Posted by lallied

There’s a main section which the SD fills in and detachable section you get to keep. Each has a reference number. It looks like the green one to me except it’s white.

Example

Mattress pads purchased and listed in this thread

Print Wikipost

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2019, 8:39 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by taupo
Flew CDG-YVR yesterday on a 788, seat would not stay inflated despite to two reboots/resets.
How much compensation does one receive? Curious if worth filing a claim.

The SD said they were replacing all the J seats as it was a common and ongoing issue. I asked about timeline and she said still looking for a manufacturer.
I have received $500 for that route.

I'm not disputing at all that the SD told you that about needing to find a manufacturer but that just can't be correct. We have been hearing the story of seats getting approvals for a while now and before the MAX grounding were led to believe replacement was to commence this past spring.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Alas, as you can see from this thread, this is not unusual.

Checking the T's and C's for one of my recent stay-flat ecoupons, I see the following:

So you'll need to fins a way to use it on an AC flight or lose it. But you do have one year.
Interestingly enough, I received a response from AC on this stating that I could use it on a code-share flight. I also got the impression, however, that the person writing the e-mail may not have really understood what he was talking about. I'll see if it works.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 10:29 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
​​​​​​
Originally Posted by jc94
Get a white form and make sure only AC is unhappy.
Everyone has their own thresholds, but I have never received enough compensation from AC for deflated seats that I was no longer unhappy. I would have happily traded each of my e-Coupons for a fully inflated seat on that flight.

Originally Posted by skidooman
I should read all posts before weighing in, huh?
You should at least read a few before you tell us 3-2-1 works "​each and every time" and it's a software problem, not hardware. Reading even a tiny sliver of this thread would have clearly demonstrated that these statements were false. If a thread has almost 2,000 posts, there's a good chance that it's a serious and complex issue.

I don't think you understand the meaning of the word "condescending".
I understand the meaning of the word extremely well, and someone jumping in to a thread nearly 2,000 posts in with statements that are belied by the reams of information in here -
​thinking you know better based on your handful of experiences despite dozens or hundreds of posts contradicting what you're saying - definitely qualifies. Or perhaps you're saying that it's not worth your time to read a few posts and understand the issue before you post something because your time is more valuable than everyone else's.

Not to mention your insinuation that people are "mak[ing] a scene" to get compensation forms.

As for your wasted time, can't say it moves me much given your sorry attitude.
My only attitude is that I want FT to be a place where useful information gets shared. You've been lucky with deflated seats. That's great for you. But to then state that 3-2-1 works every time and it's a software problem is utterly wrong and not helpful to anyone.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jul 17, 2019 at 10:37 am
Old Jul 17, 2019, 10:41 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
​​​​​​
Everyone has their own thresholds, but I have never received enough compensation from AC for deflated seats that I was no longer unhappy. I would have happily traded each of my e-Coupons for a fully inflated seat on that flight.
Oh I quite agree. With the exception of certain peoples cheap flights most of the time the EN->P cost far outweighs their compensation which is just one of the reasons that I think this entire thing is ludicrous. And one of the reasons I've not flown AC J recently.

I guess my point was better to keep the wife happy. But AC needs to be made more unhappy. And the only way I see that happening it to empty their J cabin but I completely understand why some people are okay to keep booking AC J (for multiple reasons).
Plus while we have 2k posts and maybe 200 people unhappy here (am guess I have no idea how many unique users are in this thread or may have read it), FT still represents a small proportion of AC's overall customer base.
24left likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 11:07 am

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by jc94
Oh I quite agree. With the exception of certain peoples cheap flights most of the time the EN->P cost far outweighs their compensation which is just one of the reasons that I think this entire thing is ludicrous. And one of the reasons I've not flown AC J recently.

I guess my point was better to keep the wife happy. But AC needs to be made more unhappy.
100% agree with you

And the only way I see that happening it to empty their J cabin but I completely understand why some people are okay to keep booking AC J (for multiple reasons).
I think empty J cabins may be unrealistic, but you're right that ultimately it has to hurt AC more economically for it to really get their attention. But if each of us who has been stung by DeflateGate starts to redirect some business elsewhere, it can add up. I, for one, have cut my long-haul J bookings on AC significantly, having not booked AC trans-oceanic for months, and having booked or flown CX, IB, and WS. I'm likely to book a TATL J trip for December with AC mostly because of promo codes and e-Coupons that I have as compensation for DeflateGate and other AC screw-ups. And even then, I might do UA on the eastbound TATL leg. Non-Polaris J seats on UA are crappy compared to inflated AC seats, but eliminating the deflation risk on the flight where we want to sleep seems good.

Plus while we have 2k posts and maybe 200 people unhappy here (am guess I have no idea how many unique users are in this thread or may have read it), FT still represents a small proportion of AC's overall customer base.
True, although I think knowledge is growing outside of FT. I have some unsophisticated SE or other AC Elite friends/colleagues who have experienced or heard about DeflateGate and are making some adjustments to their travel plans.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 11:12 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Titanium & LTP, NEXUS
After a couple of years of avoiding deflated seats I'm getting them all in a row.

AC123 last night, 5A. Seat-back partially deflated before take off. I asked an FA who said it was normal. I reset it using 3-2-1 twice (no luck). The SD then did a hard reset under the seat which brought it back for an hour. Then an additional reset at the front of the plane, which worked for another short while.

Service was great otherwise.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by JordanYVR
AC123 last night, 5A. Seat-back partially deflated before take off. I asked an FA who said it was normal. I reset it using 3-2-1 twice (no luck). The SD then did a hard reset under the seat which brought it back for an hour. Then an additional reset at the front of the plane, which worked for another short while.
Sorry to hear about that. Did you get a compensation form? If so, did you have to ask for it or was it offered proactively?
Old Jul 17, 2019, 11:32 am

Sorry to hear about that. Did you get a compensation form? If so, did you have to ask for it or was it offered proactively?
I did not. After the second reset failure the SD said he would get me one (proactively) but it didn't come. He was very helpful, but I think it just got overlooked in the business of closing out the flight. I wrote in this morning about the seat.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 11:40 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
​​​​​​
At the risk of piling on, I totally agree with your point. In spades.

I'm selfish, but n order of descending priority, all I really want is:

1. A working seat

2. Clear and updated information from AC acknowledging the problem and where they are in the process of fixing it

3. Frontline staff who are aware of the issue and act consistently

The fact that I even need to know about the various 'fixes', what to demand from cabin crew and perform a pre- flight seat test whenever I board an AC 777/787 is beyond tedious.

Alas, AC can't even deliver on one of my top three items above. And so far that has cost them about $25K of my travel spend YTD.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 12:46 pm

For those with multiple eCoupons, how are you using them up? I asked AC about combining them (I have 5 worth $3300 in total right now), and they said they'd be happy to do so... Up to $1000 per eCoupon. That's better than nothing, but still not terribly helpful in using up $3300 worth, especially as I'm trying not to book many AC revenue tickets until this is resolved.

Of course, if one could use more than two eCoupons towards a transaction, none of this would be an issue, but...
Old Jul 17, 2019, 12:52 pm

Of course, if one could use more than two eCoupons towards a transaction, none of this would be an issue, but...
Is it possible to use two eCoupons to book a lower price ticket (i.e. Y or PY) and then call in to up-fare, and use an additional eCoupon for that (separate transaction)?
Old Jul 17, 2019, 12:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
For those with multiple eCoupons, how are you using them up? I asked AC about combining them (I have 5 worth $3300 in total right now), and they said they'd be happy to do so... Up to $1000 per eCoupon. That's better than nothing, but still not terribly helpful in using up $3300 worth, especially as I'm trying not to book many AC revenue tickets until this is resolved.

@Adam Smith
I had also spoken to a couple of different agents at AC re combining them in addition to asking the question of the people who send the eCoupon emails. I was told 2 can be used if the amount pays for the full cost of the ticket and you don't get change back. If the ticket costs even slightly more than the value of 2 coupons, you can not pay the tiny balance with a credit card.

As @SparseFlyer explained in the other thread, given that there are only 2 fields of payment on a new ticket, that leaves some math to find a way to use the coupons without spending more.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 12:58 pm

Is it possible to use two eCoupons to book a lower price ticket (i.e. Y or PY) and then call in to up-fare, and use an additional eCoupon for that (separate transaction)?
Interesting idea. I haven't asked about that.

Originally Posted by 24left
@Adam Smith
I had also spoken to a couple of different agents at AC re combining them in addition to asking the question of the people who send the eCoupon emails. I was told 2 can be used if the amount pays for the full cost of the ticket and you don't get change back. If the ticket costs even slightly more than the value of 2 coupons, you can not pay the tiny balance with a credit card.

As @SparseFlyer explained in the other thread, given that there are only 2 fields of payment on a new ticket, that leaves some math to find a way to use the coupons without spending more.
This is the problem. I'm actually trying to spend about $8K on this booking. I'd like to use up all my $3300 worth of eCoupons, but I can only use $1000 worth.

Has anyone asked about paying via credit card, then writing in to use an eCoupon or multiple eCoupons for a refund?
Old Jul 17, 2019, 1:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
I tried that. The answer was only one form of payment is allowed for an upsell and so, IIRC the agent said only a credit card. If your upsell is $650 for e.g. and you have a $500 eCoupon, that is 2 forms of payment and a no go.

Perhaps a few people should call in again and then post answers here and see if there is any consensus or common reply.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 1:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond

You can combine them up to $1000??????

UGH.

I'm lucky in that I made 4 bookings recently, so I just threw one at each of them, but I'm still sitting on 1000+300+300.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.