Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Argonaut1000
Click here to go to a picture of the White Compensation Form and its stub

View Deflated Seat History Here (Database for submitted occurrences)
Enter New Deflated Seat Occurrence Here (Submit one if you have experienced deflated seat and it will show up in the database above)
----
From post #49 in this thread, here's one potential way to (re)inflate an AC seat:
  • Go the home screen "Your Seat". (find this on the seat side panel; not the main video screen)
    • Hold the top left hand corner "Air Canada" (with AC logo) for 3 seconds. Updated (Apr 9 18): may need to hold for as long as 45 seconds for key pad to appear
      • Dial pad shows up - hit 3-2-1.
        • Press "Reset Lumbar Support"
Note that this method has not met 100% success so YMMV.
A better method is for a crew member to use the reset switch under the seat, on the aisle side.

Compensation offers (green/white sheet completed)
40K AE- Apr 18 (50% back of the J class one way redemption)
2018 Jun - $500 coupon
2018 Sep $1,000 eCoupon or 40K AP (P fare TPAC)
2018 Sep $500 eCoupon (P fare TPAC) (no change on protest- update - 6 months later the $150 was increased to $500 - admitted they had made an error)

Compensation offers (no green/white sheet completed)
100K - May 5 (C$150 eCoupon; was moved to a functioning seat after meal service)
2017 Sept - 8,000 AE miles - reported via complaint web page after realizing it was a faulty seat, not standard discomfort; Asked for return of eUps but they declined.
2017 Nov & 2018 Feb - $500 coupons both times (second time on protest that $500 had been offered the previous time)
2018 Sep. $250 coupon (on a paid J TATL).
2018 Nov - $500 eCoupon (J TATL)

Standard eCoupon compensation offers (no haggling; following a recurring pattern)
~10+ hours: $1000
Long TPAC (TPE-YVR)

~6 to ~10 hours: $500
Short TPAC (NRT-YVR)
TATL
South America: YYZ-GRU

less than ~6 hours: 300
TCON

Have a Service Director (SD) That Is Giving You the Case of the Shrugs? Like the real life version of this ASCII emoji -> ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ?

No success with the SD and/or crew rectifying your deflated seat and you can't be/aren't accommodated to another J seat? If you asked for a compensation form and the SD says they have no idea what you are talking about, you can use the below picture of the stub portion to help freshen their memory (better than nothing)...

Please note that for the longest time, the "Green Compensation Form" version was used, and there have been recent reports of the "White Compensation Form" replacing the Green version. Reports here have indicated that the two forms are virtually identical except for the colour.
There is now an even newer White Form which explicitly lists "deflated seat" and "deflated seat and fixed", among many other items.

Here is a snapshot of the NEWEST full form (as of August 2019), courtesy of lallied

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31421855-post2093.html
Originally Posted by lallied
Clearly jinxed myself. New form in case hasnt been posted before.

Oops, see it has been. I just didn’t look far enough down ☹️

This is only the stub portion, courtesy of lallied

Originally Posted by lallied

There’s a main section which the SD fills in and detachable section you get to keep. Each has a reference number. It looks like the green one to me except it’s white.

Example

Mattress pads purchased and listed in this thread

Print Wikipost

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2019, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
DGAF SDs and DGAF AC - Stop Faffing Off!

Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
When I get really choked is when the SD says/pretends any of the following:

1. "What are you talking about? It's fine, see?" as they poke at the foam portions.
2. "I've never had anyone complain about this to me before. This must be very rare."
3. "I will reset the whole pod; that will fix it."
4. "There is no time for maintenance to come aboard."
5. "If I give you this extra pillow I think you'll be okay."

It's not the crew's fault the seats suck. Heck, we could argue it's not even AC's fault (well, it wasn't at the beginning...) The only thing the crew can do is handle the situation properly, and I'm running about 50% for SDs that make the situation worse by refusing to do so.

Cue the masses flaming me for continuing to fly AC...
Speaking DGAF SDs, I’ve been (strongly, vehemently, violently, [insert own pooptastic adverb]) encouraging @24left to share her miserably craptastic and nasty-@$$ experience courtesy of our bestest bestest bestest more besterer friends at AC.

If nothing else, it reinforces our perceiption (or fact?!) that there are an increasing number DGAFs DGAFfing faffing off all over the place.
I acknowledge that while some crew try to solve things as best they can, overall service regarding #deflategate just seems to be going downhill in the grand scheme of things.

My understanding is that not only did she have a 14 hour pancake on a TPAC, but she then connected to a transcon where she enjoyed another ~5 hour park bench...
So almost 20 hours on the same day on a flat-@ss-maker.

There are flat-earthers... and then there are flat-@$$ers (i.e. violated by #deflategate and denied service and knowledge by SDs)

Oh, oh faux pho pho... a note was sent to a VP (just one note after at least a dozen (I'm being generous to AC here as I'm sure it occured a lot more than a dozen for 24left) of TPAC and transcon #deflategate s in the last year) about the behaviour of the crew in which it went unanswered; not even a robotic auto-reply or acknowledgement of receipt.
So in addition to SD DGAF, it's now getting to Exec/C-suite DGAF.

But yeah, so now that I've posted this, I'll let 24left fill in the rest.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 1:44 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
it doesn't take a scene to get a compensation card. It takes an SD with 1/8th of a brain and willingness to expend an ounce of effort.
+1,000,000
Old Jul 8, 2019, 2:43 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Fin 832, 8 July, AC837 MAD-YYZ. My companion was in 6A which was nice and firm. Myself in 7A, deflated lumbar, could feel metal. SD has me switch with non-rev in 5D - also deflated. Then switched with another non-rev in 6D which was fine. Except this non-rev’s companion in 6G didn’t seem too pleased (maybe I should write in about that!)

SD later told me she went and checked other seats during the flight and found 5 more that seemed less inflated than they should be.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by D582
Fin 832, 8 July, AC837 MAD-YYZ. My companion was in 6A which was nice and firm. Myself in 7A, deflated lumbar, could feel metal. SD has me switch with non-rev in 5D - also deflated. Then switched with another non-rev in 6D which was fine. Except this non-rev’s companion in 6G didn’t seem too pleased (maybe I should write in about that!)

SD later told me she went and checked other seats during the flight and found 5 more that seemed less inflated than they should be.
It's an extra level of awful and cruelty when companions are separated, particularly in J. Personally I don't care if they're revenue or not.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by D582
My companion was in 6A which was nice and firm.
Was your companion's seat nice and firm as well?
D582, canopus27, Bohemian1 and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 8:47 pm

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Was your companion's seat nice and firm as well?
If his companion is firm then I don’t think a firm seat or not makes any difference.
D582 and canadiancow like this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 9:37 am

Programs: UA 1K/1.5 million miler, SU Gold, JL Sapphire
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
No, you're wrong. Spend some time reading this thread and you will see that there is a hardware issue, that AC has acknowledged this, and that resets work sometimes but are often only a temporary solution.

This thread wouldn't be approaching 2,000 posts if it were that simple, and it's disappointing that you would waste everyone's time with such an ill-informed and condescending post.
I should read all posts before weighing in, huh?

I don't think you understand the meaning of the word "condescending". As for your wasted time, can't say it moves me much given your sorry attitude.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 10:19 am

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Originally Posted by skidooman
I should read all posts before weighing in, huh?

I don't think you understand the meaning of the word "condescending". As for your wasted time, can't say it moves me much given your sorry attitude.
​​​​​​
Maybe you don't have to read all posts, but it's pretty well documented here that the reset only works sometimes. Start with the wiki... The seat will generally reinflate after the reset, but in my experience it usually deflates, sometimes in minutes, sometimes in hours, sometimes when you move it. If you read through the later portion of this thread, you will find that there is a documented hardware issue causing the deflates.
mamau, ffsim, canopus27 and 4 others like this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 4:57 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
I flew on AC in Business for the first time last month, and wouldn't you know it, my seat deflated while I was trying to sleep. The crew did the reset, and it helped for about 20 minutes, and then it was flat again. So I gave up on sleeping. I wrote in to AC and received a $500 cert. The problem is that AC doesn't fly to my home airport. Is AC like other airlines, where the certificate can only be used on AC metal, or are there any exceptions that might allow codeshares?
Old Jul 11, 2019, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER
I flew on AC in Business for the first time last month, and wouldn't you know it, my seat deflated while I was trying to sleep. The crew did the reset, and it helped for about 20 minutes, and then it was flat again. So I gave up on sleeping. I wrote in to AC and received a $500 cert. The problem is that AC doesn't fly to my home airport. Is AC like other airlines, where the certificate can only be used on AC metal, or are there any exceptions that might allow codeshares?
Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Alas, as you can see from this thread, this is not unusual.

Checking the T's and C's for one of my recent stay-flat ecoupons, I see the following:

Air Canada eCoupon is redeemable at designated locations towards the purchase of air travel and ancillary services offered by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air CanadaRouge operated flights.
So you'll need to fins a way to use it on an AC flight or lose it. But you do have one year.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 4:17 am

Well, it finally happened to at least, part of me.

MrsITAG, AC881 CDG-YYZ, deflated on entering the aircraft. They've reset it, and are making all kinds of warm promises. We'll see what happens. Pretty annoying

Can;'t find where to add it to the Wiki, but its FIN C-FNNW Seat 5K
Old Jul 17, 2019, 5:40 am

I think I will go back, see how it is, and do the chivalrous thing of offering her my seat should it have become granite.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 5:48 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
I think I will go back, see how it is, and do the chivalrous thing of offering her my seat should it have become granite.
Happy wife, happy life.

Get a white form and make sure only AC is unhappy.
wrp96, monkai and WaytoomuchEurope like this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 8:23 am

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Flew CDG-YVR yesterday on a 788, seat would not stay inflated despite to two reboots/resets.
How much compensation does one receive? Curious if worth filing a claim.

The SD said they were replacing all the J seats as it was a common and ongoing issue. I asked about timeline and she said still looking for a manufacturer.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by taupo
Flew CDG-YVR yesterday on a 788, seat would not stay inflated despite to two reboots/resets.
How much compensation does one receive?
$500 would be typical. At least for me on similar routes.
taupo likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.