Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Argonaut1000
Click here to go to a picture of the White Compensation Form and its stub

View Deflated Seat History Here (Database for submitted occurrences)
Enter New Deflated Seat Occurrence Here (Submit one if you have experienced deflated seat and it will show up in the database above)
----
From post #49 in this thread, here's one potential way to (re)inflate an AC seat:
  • Go the home screen "Your Seat". (find this on the seat side panel; not the main video screen)
    • Hold the top left hand corner "Air Canada" (with AC logo) for 3 seconds. Updated (Apr 9 18): may need to hold for as long as 45 seconds for key pad to appear
      • Dial pad shows up - hit 3-2-1.
        • Press "Reset Lumbar Support"
Note that this method has not met 100% success so YMMV.
A better method is for a crew member to use the reset switch under the seat, on the aisle side.

Compensation offers (green/white sheet completed)
40K AE- Apr 18 (50% back of the J class one way redemption)
2018 Jun - $500 coupon
2018 Sep $1,000 eCoupon or 40K AP (P fare TPAC)
2018 Sep $500 eCoupon (P fare TPAC) (no change on protest- update - 6 months later the $150 was increased to $500 - admitted they had made an error)

Compensation offers (no green/white sheet completed)
100K - May 5 (C$150 eCoupon; was moved to a functioning seat after meal service)
2017 Sept - 8,000 AE miles - reported via complaint web page after realizing it was a faulty seat, not standard discomfort; Asked for return of eUps but they declined.
2017 Nov & 2018 Feb - $500 coupons both times (second time on protest that $500 had been offered the previous time)
2018 Sep. $250 coupon (on a paid J TATL).
2018 Nov - $500 eCoupon (J TATL)

Standard eCoupon compensation offers (no haggling; following a recurring pattern)
~10+ hours: $1000
Long TPAC (TPE-YVR)

~6 to ~10 hours: $500
Short TPAC (NRT-YVR)
TATL
South America: YYZ-GRU

less than ~6 hours: 300
TCON

Have a Service Director (SD) That Is Giving You the Case of the Shrugs? Like the real life version of this ASCII emoji -> ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ?

No success with the SD and/or crew rectifying your deflated seat and you can't be/aren't accommodated to another J seat? If you asked for a compensation form and the SD says they have no idea what you are talking about, you can use the below picture of the stub portion to help freshen their memory (better than nothing)...

Please note that for the longest time, the "Green Compensation Form" version was used, and there have been recent reports of the "White Compensation Form" replacing the Green version. Reports here have indicated that the two forms are virtually identical except for the colour.
There is now an even newer White Form which explicitly lists "deflated seat" and "deflated seat and fixed", among many other items.

Here is a snapshot of the NEWEST full form (as of August 2019), courtesy of lallied

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31421855-post2093.html
Originally Posted by lallied
Clearly jinxed myself. New form in case hasnt been posted before.

Oops, see it has been. I just didn’t look far enough down ☹️

This is only the stub portion, courtesy of lallied

Originally Posted by lallied

There’s a main section which the SD fills in and detachable section you get to keep. Each has a reference number. It looks like the green one to me except it’s white.

Example

Mattress pads purchased and listed in this thread

Print Wikipost

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2018, 3:52 am

Programs: AC 100K, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, Marriott/SPG (Bonvoy?) Gold Elite/HHonors Gold
Another deflated seat. 5G on AC7, upper seat hard as rock.

Wiki updated - first reset partially worked, but then failed. Would not re-inflate.

2 of last 3 TPAC’s with deflated seats -

My CX flights have had excellent seats this trip....
Old Oct 2, 2018, 7:10 am
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
Just experienced this yesterday on LAX-YYZ (789 service, seat 5G). At the time I thought..."this seat sure is unexpectedly hard." Then I remembered back to my last AC flight a week prior, same route, same equipment, same seat assignment...and then this thread memory was triggered. It wasn't completely deflated but I adjusted it to the maximum and it slowly got harder and harder during the flight.

Last edited by dll; Oct 2, 2018 at 7:55 am Reason: added seat assignment
Old Oct 3, 2018, 4:26 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
YYZ-YVR seat 1k, 730 flight seat ...4 times in flight while raising the seat it suddenly fell back to a flat position in one jarring move, kind of like a roller coaster car going backwards. In flight I said to FA something is very wrong with this seat, and she said “Is it falling?”; so clearly a known issue. Said she would write it up.

oh yeah it deflated in the final 15 minutes as well.

This is getting ridiculous

Old Oct 3, 2018, 4:37 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by mapleg
YYZ-YVR seat 1k, 730 flight seat ...4 times in flight while raising the seat it suddenly fell back to a flat position in one jarring move, kind of like a roller coaster car going backwards. In flight I said to FA something is very wrong with this seat, and she said “Is it falling?”; so clearly a known issue. Said she would write it up.

Jesus. This sounds like another new issue. :/
Old Oct 3, 2018, 4:49 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs

Forget comfort, that's gotta be a safety issue. Did they reseat you?
Old Oct 3, 2018, 5:13 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
I've got 2 - maybe 3 - TPACs coming up in Nov/Dec and I'm seriously considering SIA or CPA as options because of the seat inconsistency.

The two items holding me back are:

1) No status on CPA; Star Gold on SIA vs SE on AC;

​​​​​​2) BIS miles on AC metal for MM qualification. ​​​
Old Oct 3, 2018, 5:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Reminder to those posting in this thread with info about their pancake seats...

Please try and get the fin # of the aircraft you flew. The flight # and destination info means we don't know the fin, and/or someone else has to look it up.

Thanks !
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC

Was this AC 183 today October 3, 2018? If so, it was C-FIUL FIN734

Old Oct 3, 2018, 10:31 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by yyznomad

Was this AC 183 today October 3, 2018? If so, it was C-FIUL FIN734

It was AC 183 on Sun Sept 30th. No, they did not reseat me. First time it happened seat would not move, FAsaid power had gone out and would reset it, but 15 secs later it came on without her intervention. When it happened again, I would just try to raise the seat again the normal way. It fell 2x in a row, then it worked. I probably could have changed seat but did not feel like moving. You can’t exit the seat when it’s not upright, so yeah, a safety concern.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 8:14 am

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by 24left
Please try and get the fin # of the aircraft you flew. The flight # and destination info means we don't know the fin, and/or someone else has to look it up.
Is somebody compiling these defects and passing them on to Air Canada? Or is this merely for curiosity's sake? I imagine that the airline has a known log of every reported defective seat, and a clear indication that something ain't right with the seat design itself. Knowing the susceptible fins won't help us in avoiding airborne park benches. However, flying a competing carrier's J product will.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC

It was AC 183 on Sun Sept 30th. No, they did not reseat me. First time it happened seat would not move, FAsaid power had gone out and would reset it, but 15 secs later it came on without her intervention. When it happened again, I would just try to raise the seat again the normal way. It fell 2x in a row, then it worked. I probably could have changed seat but did not feel like moving. You can’t exit the seat when it’s not upright, so yeah, a safety concern.
Ok, then it was C-GHPY FIN 806 on September 30.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 11:52 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
Is somebody compiling these defects and passing them on to Air Canada? Or is this merely for curiosity's sake? I imagine that the airline has a known log of every reported defective seat, and a clear indication that something ain't right with the seat design itself. Knowing the susceptible fins won't help us in avoiding airborne park benches. However, flying a competing carrier's J product will.
Its being compiled in the wiki on this thread. AC already knows which are defective and still sell the seats apparently. So the wiki can help folks on this forum pick a non deflating seat. Or pick a deflating one and ask for Aeropesos compensation - the choice is yours.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:59 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
This thread has me super excited for the half dozen J flights I have on 78x and 77 aircraft over the coming weeks.

SUPER. EXCITED.

Stupid question: is there a place inside the aircraft where I will find the fin number, or is it just a matter of observation when at the gate prior to boarding?
Old Oct 4, 2018, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
This thread has me super excited for the half dozen J flights I have on 78x and 77 aircraft over the coming weeks.

SUPER. EXCITED.

Stupid question: is there a place inside the aircraft where I will find the fin number, or is it just a matter of observation when at the gate prior to boarding?
1. observation, if you can see the wheel well flap thingy, or the tail fin (or elsewhere?)
2a. you can ask the SD (most of the time they won't have an issue telling you); it's in/on the maintenance logbook as well if they don't know OTTOTH
2b. IIRC, I think it's on the little sheet that you see when boarding (I forgot the technical term but it's used by the SD when doing their announcements i.e. weather, taxi time, flight time, etc.)
3. you can take a look at flightradar24 after (or during) the flight to see the registration - no account required (and then associated FIN on ac.com)
4. you can take a look at flightaware and it will give you the FIN if you have an account
5. ??? (I'm sure there are other ways)
Old Oct 4, 2018, 2:35 pm

Surely

Originally Posted by vernonc
Its being compiled in the wiki on this thread. AC already knows which are defective and still sell the seats apparently. So the wiki can help folks on this forum pick a non deflating seat. Or pick a deflating one and ask for Aeropesos compensation - the choice is yours.
No-one would try and do an overnight on a deflated seat for a low value coupon.? It’s a nightmare. Or it would be if one could actually sleep and get into REM. Sitting on a pillow for a TATL day flight might be survivable but overnight unbearable. Would be better sitting in economy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.