Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Argonaut1000
Click here to go to a picture of the White Compensation Form and its stub

View Deflated Seat History Here (Database for submitted occurrences)
Enter New Deflated Seat Occurrence Here (Submit one if you have experienced deflated seat and it will show up in the database above)
----
From post #49 in this thread, here's one potential way to (re)inflate an AC seat:
  • Go the home screen "Your Seat". (find this on the seat side panel; not the main video screen)
    • Hold the top left hand corner "Air Canada" (with AC logo) for 3 seconds. Updated (Apr 9 18): may need to hold for as long as 45 seconds for key pad to appear
      • Dial pad shows up - hit 3-2-1.
        • Press "Reset Lumbar Support"
Note that this method has not met 100% success so YMMV.
A better method is for a crew member to use the reset switch under the seat, on the aisle side.

Compensation offers (green/white sheet completed)
40K AE- Apr 18 (50% back of the J class one way redemption)
2018 Jun - $500 coupon
2018 Sep $1,000 eCoupon or 40K AP (P fare TPAC)
2018 Sep $500 eCoupon (P fare TPAC) (no change on protest- update - 6 months later the $150 was increased to $500 - admitted they had made an error)

Compensation offers (no green/white sheet completed)
100K - May 5 (C$150 eCoupon; was moved to a functioning seat after meal service)
2017 Sept - 8,000 AE miles - reported via complaint web page after realizing it was a faulty seat, not standard discomfort; Asked for return of eUps but they declined.
2017 Nov & 2018 Feb - $500 coupons both times (second time on protest that $500 had been offered the previous time)
2018 Sep. $250 coupon (on a paid J TATL).
2018 Nov - $500 eCoupon (J TATL)

Standard eCoupon compensation offers (no haggling; following a recurring pattern)
~10+ hours: $1000
Long TPAC (TPE-YVR)

~6 to ~10 hours: $500
Short TPAC (NRT-YVR)
TATL
South America: YYZ-GRU

less than ~6 hours: 300
TCON

Have a Service Director (SD) That Is Giving You the Case of the Shrugs? Like the real life version of this ASCII emoji -> ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ?

No success with the SD and/or crew rectifying your deflated seat and you can't be/aren't accommodated to another J seat? If you asked for a compensation form and the SD says they have no idea what you are talking about, you can use the below picture of the stub portion to help freshen their memory (better than nothing)...

Please note that for the longest time, the "Green Compensation Form" version was used, and there have been recent reports of the "White Compensation Form" replacing the Green version. Reports here have indicated that the two forms are virtually identical except for the colour.
There is now an even newer White Form which explicitly lists "deflated seat" and "deflated seat and fixed", among many other items.

Here is a snapshot of the NEWEST full form (as of August 2019), courtesy of lallied

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31421855-post2093.html
Originally Posted by lallied
Clearly jinxed myself. New form in case hasnt been posted before.

Oops, see it has been. I just didn’t look far enough down ☹️

This is only the stub portion, courtesy of lallied

Originally Posted by lallied

There’s a main section which the SD fills in and detachable section you get to keep. Each has a reference number. It looks like the green one to me except it’s white.

Example

Mattress pads purchased and listed in this thread

Print Wikipost

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2019, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
I see no evidence that Air Canada has made a public statement of the defect, nor has the company posted a notice on its website that there is an ongoing seat defect. On the contrary, the current procedure when there is a problem on board, is to deny that there is a problem. Based on the comments I read on this forum, the likelihood of a seat failure has been constant since the issue first became known. If the problem has been going on this long without any effective remediation, there is a duty to warn.

And therein lies a the airline's weakness: It is not consistent in its response. When I first had the issue, the FA denied there was a problem and I flew to Hong Kong on a deflated seat and had back pain for a week. After reading of the incidents on FT I realized what had happened and the next time it occurred, I was prepared to deal with the issue. I was eventually given $1000 compensation after chasing AC for a couple months. A few flights ago, I had a malfunctioning seat that forced me to change seats. The first alternative seat was also deflated. The next one was also broken and could not change positions. The only other seat available was closest to the lavatory at the rear of the cabin , a location I despise since I am a light sleeper and sensitive to the noise and light specific to the seat (A seat that most people avoid.) I won't purchase a seat in this location, yet I was obliged to sit there for my 12 hour flight. I did not request compensation as I knew that the airline would say I had a seat. AC is abusing its customers because it does not have a responsible approach to responding when the issue arises. One has the impression that it is discriminatory policy, favouring passengers who have top tier status and who are vocal.
I am not sure they discriminate. I have top tier status, am vocal and extremely stubborn and they blow me off - at one stage they refused compensation, inferred was making up (as SD said had no forms), every complaint about the handling of it was referred back to the same person, who said could not be escalated, and every other contact by phone email or in writing to everyone I could think of was fulsomely ignored. It’s actually quite an effective strategy in some respects as eventually I went away - and am sure my temporary move to alternate airlines was unnoticed.

On the other hand have now had 6 TATL and TPAC flights and none of the seats for the two of us had issues; one was a bit flat on boarding but stayed up the entire flight with a reset.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 4:02 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
@lallied - I'm not convinced their approach to compensation is particularly strategic, I think it's just AC doing what AC does best - being totally inconsistent in its approach to customer service.

But like you I am practicing avoidance as much as is practical which seems to be working well. Last year 70% of my flying was on AC, YTD it's less than 40%. In a year with more travel and higher spend.

But continuing assertions (not by you) that the company has acknowledged the problem is a gross overstatement at best. There are still plenty of FAs and SDs that claim they have never heard of the issue or how to deal with it.
Transpacificflyer and lallied like this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 8:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
The Onboard Compensation form has changed.

It's now an Onboard Compensation Request.

There are two new options:
Seat deflated
Seat deflated and then fixed

So clearly AC is quite aware of the issue.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 8:20 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Thanks @canadiancow!

Noted and saved for future issues.

It appears you can no longer select between Aeroplan miles and an eCoupon - is this true?
Old Aug 2, 2019, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Thanks @canadiancow!

Noted and saved for future issues.

It appears you can no longer select between Aeroplan miles and an eCoupon - is this true?
I only know what's in the photo. I agree the option is gone.

Also, these forms are in a big pad of them, and each one is torn off the top. This description may help other people who experience resistance.

​​
Old Aug 2, 2019, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
The Onboard Compensation form has changed.

It's now an Onboard Compensation Request.

There are two new options:
Seat deflated
Seat deflated and then fixed

So clearly AC is quite aware of the issue.
So, what if the seat is deflated, then fixed, then deflates again?
Old Aug 2, 2019, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mathemagic
So, what if the seat is deflated, then fixed, then deflates again?
You and I have a different definition of "fixed".

"Temporarily reinflated" is not "fixed".
Plumber, ffsim, bcnfish and 4 others like this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 10:44 pm

Well, I never said what my definition was. This is, as you have helped point out, a somewhat ambiguous set of options put forth by the form.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 9:24 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
So given ACs continual we’ll fix it soon, and waiting on approval for fire safety (or whatever) we now have them creating and handing out a form with actual options for deflated seats.

Well that just fills me with confidence that they’re about to fix it. Makes me really keen to fly AC J.
Plumber and lallied like this.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 10:53 pm

Exactly. I filled out one of these new forms on August 1 but didn't read through carefully and am not sure whether the SD selected "deflated" or "deflated and then fixed". It deflated, was reset, deflated again 20 min later and then I was moved to another seat.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 7:15 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by bcnfish
Exactly. I filled out one of these new forms on August 1 but didn't read through carefully and am not sure whether the SD selected "deflated" or "deflated and then fixed". It deflated, was reset, deflated again 20 min later and then I was moved to another seat.
If you managed to move to an open seat that does not deflate, that is an instance where I would consider the issue to be 'fixed'.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 8:41 am

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Plat
AC30 Aug 2 7A seat base was deflated on boarding. Rondelle reset fixed it. Deflated once more over the Pacific but another rondelle reset fixed it for the rest of the trip. SD (who was great) said she noted it for maintenance.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by Plumber
If you managed to move to an open seat that does not deflate, that is an instance where I would consider the issue to be 'fixed'.
The issue being 'fixed' is quite subjective and I would make sure to always check what the SD fills out and request a change to 'unfixed' if necessary. I think it's up the passenger to decide whether the issue has been fixed or not.

In my case I was on a 777-200 and had to move from a window seat at the front of the forward cabin to a middle seat in the back of the mini cabin. Had it been a day flight where I really enjoy looking out the window (the light also helps me adjusting) I would have been pretty disappointed and wouldn't consider the issue 'fixed' to my satisfaction.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 8:51 am

Programs: *G
The description "seat deflated and then fixed" on the compensation form would seem to imply that is a situation warranting compensation. This would presumably include being move to a different seat. Can anyone verify receiving any compensation under such circumstances? It's my impression that you are unlikely to even get a form if there was a resolution to the issue, irrespective of any inconvenience to the passenger.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 8:57 am

Agreed that it is likely to result in compensation. However I imagine there will be a difference in compensation depending on whether the fixed/unfixed options is selected.

Last edited by bcnfish; Aug 4, 2019 at 10:01 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.