Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Argonaut1000
Click here to go to a picture of the White Compensation Form and its stub

View Deflated Seat History Here (Database for submitted occurrences)
Enter New Deflated Seat Occurrence Here (Submit one if you have experienced deflated seat and it will show up in the database above)
----
From post #49 in this thread, here's one potential way to (re)inflate an AC seat:
  • Go the home screen "Your Seat". (find this on the seat side panel; not the main video screen)
    • Hold the top left hand corner "Air Canada" (with AC logo) for 3 seconds. Updated (Apr 9 18): may need to hold for as long as 45 seconds for key pad to appear
      • Dial pad shows up - hit 3-2-1.
        • Press "Reset Lumbar Support"
Note that this method has not met 100% success so YMMV.
A better method is for a crew member to use the reset switch under the seat, on the aisle side.

Compensation offers (green/white sheet completed)
40K AE- Apr 18 (50% back of the J class one way redemption)
2018 Jun - $500 coupon
2018 Sep $1,000 eCoupon or 40K AP (P fare TPAC)
2018 Sep $500 eCoupon (P fare TPAC) (no change on protest- update - 6 months later the $150 was increased to $500 - admitted they had made an error)

Compensation offers (no green/white sheet completed)
100K - May 5 (C$150 eCoupon; was moved to a functioning seat after meal service)
2017 Sept - 8,000 AE miles - reported via complaint web page after realizing it was a faulty seat, not standard discomfort; Asked for return of eUps but they declined.
2017 Nov & 2018 Feb - $500 coupons both times (second time on protest that $500 had been offered the previous time)
2018 Sep. $250 coupon (on a paid J TATL).
2018 Nov - $500 eCoupon (J TATL)

Standard eCoupon compensation offers (no haggling; following a recurring pattern)
~10+ hours: $1000
Long TPAC (TPE-YVR)

~6 to ~10 hours: $500
Short TPAC (NRT-YVR)
TATL
South America: YYZ-GRU

less than ~6 hours: 300
TCON

Have a Service Director (SD) That Is Giving You the Case of the Shrugs? Like the real life version of this ASCII emoji -> ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ?

No success with the SD and/or crew rectifying your deflated seat and you can't be/aren't accommodated to another J seat? If you asked for a compensation form and the SD says they have no idea what you are talking about, you can use the below picture of the stub portion to help freshen their memory (better than nothing)...

Please note that for the longest time, the "Green Compensation Form" version was used, and there have been recent reports of the "White Compensation Form" replacing the Green version. Reports here have indicated that the two forms are virtually identical except for the colour.
There is now an even newer White Form which explicitly lists "deflated seat" and "deflated seat and fixed", among many other items.

Here is a snapshot of the NEWEST full form (as of August 2019), courtesy of lallied

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31421855-post2093.html
Originally Posted by lallied
Clearly jinxed myself. New form in case hasnt been posted before.

Oops, see it has been. I just didn’t look far enough down ☹️

This is only the stub portion, courtesy of lallied

There’s a main section which the SD fills in and detachable section you get to keep. Each has a reference number. It looks like the green one to me except it’s white.

Example

Mattress pads purchased and listed in this thread

Print Wikipost

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2019, 11:26 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by 42000ft
From your experiences: what is the best way to avoid a deflated seat? Is it looking at the database in the Wiki and picking a seat number that isn't currently listed there yet?

I have my first flight in AC J on a 777-300er coming up next month so want to take whatever precautions I can.
Originally Posted by Mauricio23
Fly just about any airline except Air Canada.
While I agree with other airlines here and can’t like that post enough, aren’t the 330s unaffected? And of course, non lie flats if flying a route that offers that...
Mauricio23 likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by jc94

While I agree with other airlines here and can’t like that post enough, aren’t the 330s unaffected? And of course, non lie flats if flying a route that offers that...
Very true that the 330s with the old blue seats don’t deflate. However, that foam is pretty well used and I actually find them uncomfortable now and the AV is awful.

My last bullet point was somewhat tongue-in-cheek
Old Aug 6, 2019, 12:14 pm

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
Originally Posted by jc94
aren’t the 330s unaffected?
Nothing that a last-minute equipment swap can't take care of.
lallied likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 7:20 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Does anyone else have the same ritual of sitting in the MLL trying to find your gate/aircraft and cross checking the fin number with the wiki here?

My fin/seat aren’t listed today, so that’s good.
ffsim likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 3:53 pm

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
If worst case happens and deflated and can’t move then a) ask for an extra blanket or two and put under mattress topper for back rest. B) ask for two extra pillows and put under mattress topper for squab. C) sleep on back not on side d) vow never to fly AC again and then do it anyway.
One of the seats deflated when moved to sleeping position. One reset in the back of the seat by FA and one on the panel next to the seat by service director, both without lasting success. Cabin full, nowhere to move.

Sleeping was impossible, sitting upright on the folded mattress was bearable. Service director said literally „that‘s what the mattress is for“!

d) will not likely book AC again until they get their act together. Glad the return is on LH.

C-FRTW

Last edited by worldclubber; Aug 12, 2019 at 5:56 am
Old Aug 11, 2019, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by worldclubber

One of the seats deflated when moved to sleeping position. One reset in the back of the seat by FA and one on the panel next to the seat by service director, both without lasting success. Cabin full, nowhere to move.

Sleeping was impossible, sitting uprights on the folded mattress was bearable. Service director said literally „that‘s what the mattress is for“!

d) will not likely book AC again until they get their act together. Glad the return is on LH.

C-FRTW
sorry to hear that your trip was spoiled. It’s hit and miss. Which isn’t what you expect in J
Old Aug 11, 2019, 8:17 pm

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM

sorry to hear that your trip was spoiled. It’s hit and miss. Which isn’t what you expect in J
Thanks.

I will survive, but was looking for an alternative to LH on certain routes and didn’t find it. Probably worse for AC than me.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 3:09 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA S, Bonvoy Titanium
$1000 credit as part of a larger complaint regarding down gage, confirmed upgrade being removed and re-added, and a 3 hour delay (for the 2nd time in 3 weeks) on 793 (YYZ-LAX). When I identified the deflated seat, the crew was rude about it, failed reset, and I was ultimately moved to another seat. No card was offered because the situation was resolved but in AC's written response to the broad complaint only the seat issue was referenced for the $1000 credit.

It was a TATL fare in PE/PR for reference.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 12:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete
Plumber, canopus27 and jc94 like this.

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 21, 2020 at 7:03 pm
Old Aug 13, 2019, 4:03 pm

Programs: AC S100K 2MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
$1000 credit for YYZ to FRA on AC876, submitted over the web as no white form was able to be found.
Prior to the flight I downloaded the photo of the form, but the SD was seemingly unaware of it. She actually
tried to give me the small card for use with the entertainment system!

I had a pretty good sleep but when I woke up the back was completely flat and I ached all over. SD offered to
move me but the breakfast service was just starting and we were just over an hour out. I let her reset the chair
and she did promise to log the incident. AC web folks were quick, somewhere around 24 hours for response.
It was a Z fare so I'm content with the $1000.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 4:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
So is TATL $1000 now? If so, that's a good improvement.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 6:58 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JoePendleton
$1000 credit for YYZ to FRA on AC876, submitted over the web as no white form was able to be found.
Approximately when was your flight? I'm trying to get an idea about how long after the flight is, before you hear back from AC.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 10:16 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by canadiancow
So is TATL $1000 now? If so, that's a good improvement.
I’ve only ever gotten $500, as recently as 5 weeks ago.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 5:46 am

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
My personal experience is that the likelihood of a deflated seat is greater on the 777 series compared to the recent 787 series. Of my 3 events, all were 777.
I looked at the wiki, and while fins and series info is listed,I did not look up model of aircraft, so I can not offer more than a general opinion. Perhaps the newer aircraft had the defect remedied at the time of seat installation. I just had 2 TPACs on 788 and did not see any issues on those flights.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 9:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
The 788 are the oldest, not the newest. They came delivered with the executive pods while the 777s we're still flying around with the classics.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.