Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Argonaut1000
Click here to go to a picture of the White Compensation Form and its stub

View Deflated Seat History Here (Database for submitted occurrences)
Enter New Deflated Seat Occurrence Here (Submit one if you have experienced deflated seat and it will show up in the database above)
----
From post #49 in this thread, here's one potential way to (re)inflate an AC seat:
  • Go the home screen "Your Seat". (find this on the seat side panel; not the main video screen)
    • Hold the top left hand corner "Air Canada" (with AC logo) for 3 seconds. Updated (Apr 9 18): may need to hold for as long as 45 seconds for key pad to appear
      • Dial pad shows up - hit 3-2-1.
        • Press "Reset Lumbar Support"
Note that this method has not met 100% success so YMMV.
A better method is for a crew member to use the reset switch under the seat, on the aisle side.

Compensation offers (green/white sheet completed)
40K AE- Apr 18 (50% back of the J class one way redemption)
2018 Jun - $500 coupon
2018 Sep $1,000 eCoupon or 40K AP (P fare TPAC)
2018 Sep $500 eCoupon (P fare TPAC) (no change on protest- update - 6 months later the $150 was increased to $500 - admitted they had made an error)

Compensation offers (no green/white sheet completed)
100K - May 5 (C$150 eCoupon; was moved to a functioning seat after meal service)
2017 Sept - 8,000 AE miles - reported via complaint web page after realizing it was a faulty seat, not standard discomfort; Asked for return of eUps but they declined.
2017 Nov & 2018 Feb - $500 coupons both times (second time on protest that $500 had been offered the previous time)
2018 Sep. $250 coupon (on a paid J TATL).
2018 Nov - $500 eCoupon (J TATL)

Standard eCoupon compensation offers (no haggling; following a recurring pattern)
~10+ hours: $1000
Long TPAC (TPE-YVR)

~6 to ~10 hours: $500
Short TPAC (NRT-YVR)
TATL
South America: YYZ-GRU

less than ~6 hours: 300
TCON

Have a Service Director (SD) That Is Giving You the Case of the Shrugs? Like the real life version of this ASCII emoji -> ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ?

No success with the SD and/or crew rectifying your deflated seat and you can't be/aren't accommodated to another J seat? If you asked for a compensation form and the SD says they have no idea what you are talking about, you can use the below picture of the stub portion to help freshen their memory (better than nothing)...

Please note that for the longest time, the "Green Compensation Form" version was used, and there have been recent reports of the "White Compensation Form" replacing the Green version. Reports here have indicated that the two forms are virtually identical except for the colour.
There is now an even newer White Form which explicitly lists "deflated seat" and "deflated seat and fixed", among many other items.

Here is a snapshot of the NEWEST full form (as of August 2019), courtesy of lallied

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31421855-post2093.html
Originally Posted by lallied
Clearly jinxed myself. New form in case hasnt been posted before.

Oops, see it has been. I just didn’t look far enough down ☹️

This is only the stub portion, courtesy of lallied

Originally Posted by lallied

There’s a main section which the SD fills in and detachable section you get to keep. Each has a reference number. It looks like the green one to me except it’s white.

Example

Mattress pads purchased and listed in this thread

Print Wikipost

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2019, 3:29 am

Programs: AC MM+
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Do we have any confirmed reports of not-paid-J revenue pax being moved or downgraded to resolve a deflation event?
I have witnessed this for a fully paid J, never for an upgrade. About 9 months ago. Pax next to me, paid J. This was prior to the quick bladder replacement days. Seat was not inflating and there was no empty or non-revenue passengers to move around. Captain or first officer wanted the power cut to the seat(shut off) if they couldn't repair it. The passenger was offered a seat in PY or rebooked for the next day. She took a seat in PY, someone in PY was moved to Y, and someone in Y was removed from the flight. This all happened pretty quickly.

Last edited by mamau; Jul 7, 2019 at 3:31 am Reason: clarification
Old Jul 7, 2019, 3:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mamau
I have witnessed this for a fully paid J, never for an upgrade. About 9 months ago. Pax next to me, paid J. This was prior to the quick bladder replacement days. Seat was not inflating and there was no empty or non-revenue passengers to move around. Captain or first officer wanted the power cut to the seat(shut off) if they couldn't repair it. The passenger was offered a seat in PY or rebooked for the next day. She took a seat in PY, someone in PY was moved to Y, and someone in Y was removed from the flight. This all happened pretty quickly.
That's... Crappy.

But I meant have any eUps been downgraded for a deflated JCDZP.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 7:03 am

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
Originally Posted by canadiancow
That's... Crappy.

But I meant have any eUps been downgraded for a deflated JCDZP.
I lost my confirmed upgrade last minute when the inbound aircraft reported they had seat that was unserviceable. I'm not sure if was the deflating issue, but suspect it was!
They put me in PE as the J cabin was full and I was the only non-J paid pax.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 7:27 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
AC100 seat 8A pancaked on boarding. SD refusing to call maintenance. Not happy.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 7:34 am

A pile of uniformed crew coming into J. Maybe I should insist one of them sit on this #<*> ¥+ park bench. This might actually be the one that breaks me. I’ve had enough. I think this is my 6th in 10 weeks.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 8:02 am

I got my new bladder by pleading with the maintenance guy. SD couldn’t find the toggle so called them for a reset. Once he was here I just asked him if he had a bladder in his van. He did. All good now.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by james dean
I lost my confirmed upgrade last minute when the inbound aircraft reported they had seat that was unserviceable. I'm not sure if was the deflating issue, but suspect it was!
They put me in PE as the J cabin was full and I was the only non-J paid pax.
its happened to me once.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 10:18 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Update on my June 28th experience: the bladder replacement solved my wife's issue, and shockingly the under-seat reset kept my seat inflated the entire way to CPH. First time I've seen that last more than an hour or two. Hopefully they've fixed it by now, but I suspect that the seat has only continued to get worse over the past few days. I'm curious whether anyone else on here has had that particular seat since then (3A on C-FIVQ).

Darned good thing too, since I forgot to pack our inflatable mattresses

Thankfully tomorrow only on 333s, which have their own drawbacks, but at least no seat deflation.
james dean likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
AC100 seat 8A pancaked on boarding. SD refusing to call maintenance. Not happy.
Nice to see the SD DGAF about an SE on a deflategate seat.
ffsim, wrp96, ridefar and 4 others like this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 11:02 am

Programs: UA 1K/1.5 million miler, SU Gold, JL Sapphire
Whenever I complained about a deflated seat, which happened every single time I flew Air Canada to Asia except ONCE, there was no offer of compensation. Maybe I did not make a scene. Whatever...

But I did see how to reset it myself. So now, I self serve.

Go to main menu. Press top left and center (where logo) on screen, with two fingers for 5 seconds. Password is 321.

Reset lumbar.

Works like a charm, each and every time. But yeah, it is a PITA and it should be fixed. Pretty sure the problem is software, not hardware.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by skidooman
Whenever I complained about a deflated seat, which happened every single time I flew Air Canada to Asia except ONCE, there was no offer of compensation. Maybe I did not make a scene. Whatever...

Go to main menu. Press top left and center (where logo) on screen, with two fingers for 5 seconds. Password is 321.

Reset lumbar.

Works like a charm, each and every time. But yeah, it is a PITA and it should be fixed. Pretty sure the problem is software, not hardware.
I guess you haven't seen this thread's wiki.
flyquiet and gcashin like this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 11:45 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
No, you're wrong. Spend some time reading this thread and you will see that there is a hardware issue, that AC has acknowledged this, and that resets work sometimes but are often only a temporary solution.

This thread wouldn't be approaching 2,000 posts if it were that simple, and it's disappointing that you would waste everyone's time with such an ill-informed and condescending post.
ffsim, canadiancow and jc94 like this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by yyznomad

Nice to see the SD DGAF about an SE on a deflategate seat.
When I get really choked is when the SD says/pretends any of the following:

1. "What are you talking about? It's fine, see?" as they poke at the foam portions.
2. "I've never had anyone complain about this to me before. This must be very rare."
3. "I will reset the whole pod; that will fix it."
4. "There is no time for maintenance to come aboard."
5. "If I give you this extra pillow I think you'll be okay."

It's not the crew's fault the seats suck. Heck, we could argue it's not even AC's fault (well, it wasn't at the beginning...) The only thing the crew can do is handle the situation properly, and I'm running about 50% for SDs that make the situation worse by refusing to do so.

Cue the masses flaming me for continuing to fly AC...
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 11:59 am

Reset lumbar.

Virtually every FF who flies in J on AC knows that code, and if they don't know it by heart it's right here in the wiki. It's effectively useless most of the time anyway. Also, you don't need to use more than one finger.

If the problem were purely software than AC maintenance crews wouldn't have replacement bladders at the ready at every major hub.

PS - it doesn't take a scene to get a compensation card. It takes an SD with 1/8th of a brain and willingness to expend an ounce of effort.
ffsim, wrp96 and Adam Smith like this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 12:05 pm

Programs: AC Elite50k, BAEC Blue, Amex Plat, RBC Black Tin Visa
....and it's disappointing that you would waste everyone's time with such an ill-informed and condescending post.[/QUOTE]

That response is out of line. Ill-informed maybe a bit but condescending???? Your response is. Keep this place polite please.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.