Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Argonaut1000
Click here to go to a picture of the White Compensation Form and its stub

View Deflated Seat History Here (Database for submitted occurrences)
Enter New Deflated Seat Occurrence Here (Submit one if you have experienced deflated seat and it will show up in the database above)
----
From post #49 in this thread, here's one potential way to (re)inflate an AC seat:
  • Go the home screen "Your Seat". (find this on the seat side panel; not the main video screen)
    • Hold the top left hand corner "Air Canada" (with AC logo) for 3 seconds. Updated (Apr 9 18): may need to hold for as long as 45 seconds for key pad to appear
      • Dial pad shows up - hit 3-2-1.
        • Press "Reset Lumbar Support"
Note that this method has not met 100% success so YMMV.
A better method is for a crew member to use the reset switch under the seat, on the aisle side.

Compensation offers (green/white sheet completed)
40K AE- Apr 18 (50% back of the J class one way redemption)
2018 Jun - $500 coupon
2018 Sep $1,000 eCoupon or 40K AP (P fare TPAC)
2018 Sep $500 eCoupon (P fare TPAC) (no change on protest- update - 6 months later the $150 was increased to $500 - admitted they had made an error)

Compensation offers (no green/white sheet completed)
100K - May 5 (C$150 eCoupon; was moved to a functioning seat after meal service)
2017 Sept - 8,000 AE miles - reported via complaint web page after realizing it was a faulty seat, not standard discomfort; Asked for return of eUps but they declined.
2017 Nov & 2018 Feb - $500 coupons both times (second time on protest that $500 had been offered the previous time)
2018 Sep. $250 coupon (on a paid J TATL).
2018 Nov - $500 eCoupon (J TATL)

Standard eCoupon compensation offers (no haggling; following a recurring pattern)
~10+ hours: $1000
Long TPAC (TPE-YVR)

~6 to ~10 hours: $500
Short TPAC (NRT-YVR)
TATL
South America: YYZ-GRU

less than ~6 hours: 300
TCON

Have a Service Director (SD) That Is Giving You the Case of the Shrugs? Like the real life version of this ASCII emoji -> ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ?

No success with the SD and/or crew rectifying your deflated seat and you can't be/aren't accommodated to another J seat? If you asked for a compensation form and the SD says they have no idea what you are talking about, you can use the below picture of the stub portion to help freshen their memory (better than nothing)...

Please note that for the longest time, the "Green Compensation Form" version was used, and there have been recent reports of the "White Compensation Form" replacing the Green version. Reports here have indicated that the two forms are virtually identical except for the colour.
There is now an even newer White Form which explicitly lists "deflated seat" and "deflated seat and fixed", among many other items.

Here is a snapshot of the NEWEST full form (as of August 2019), courtesy of lallied

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31421855-post2093.html
Originally Posted by lallied
Clearly jinxed myself. New form in case hasnt been posted before.

Oops, see it has been. I just didn’t look far enough down ☹️

This is only the stub portion, courtesy of lallied

Originally Posted by lallied

There’s a main section which the SD fills in and detachable section you get to keep. Each has a reference number. It looks like the green one to me except it’s white.

Example

Mattress pads purchased and listed in this thread

Print Wikipost

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2023, 8:22 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by sullim4
It seems like deflation is less of a problem now?
I would say so, but others who have just had a deflated seat may disagree.

My last deflated seat (that kept deflating once reset) was Aug 2019. <Fingers Crossed>

(I have had a couple of deflated seats since, but were totally fine after they were reset by me of the SD.)
Old Apr 17, 2023, 10:03 am

Programs: AC 50K
In between 2019 and 2021, I flew J in Canada, Europe and Japan and couldn't figure out why sometimes I could just not get comfortable and was thinking to myself, "these pod seats are kind of firm". I played around with the hardness / softness setting but didn't seem to do anything.

I guess I was experiencing a deflated cushion, but didn't realize it and never thought to complain.

I will certainly test out the seat at the very beginning of the flight from now on!
Old Apr 17, 2023, 10:07 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by Sean Douglas
I will certainly test out the seat at the very beginning of the flight from now on!
Always part of my pre-flight checklist on AC 777s & 787s.

Some of these issues are easier to address while still attached to the jetway. In theory, anyway.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 11:16 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
The first thing I do when packing for a trip is ensure I have my air mattress. The second thing is to check the seat upon boarding immediately after stowing my bag.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by Plumber
I was definitely getting $500 for YYZ-YVR if I had a seat deflation. I kept a log.
Agree domestics $500
Intl $1000
I do like the points options better.
Old Apr 24, 2023, 8:49 am

On April 22, I flew AC121 YYZ-YVR, 777-200LR, seat 9G and couldn't get the massage function to work, it would light up for about 2 seconds, then turn off and also couldn't get the softness adjustment to go over 2 bars. The seat seemed partially inflated, but firm. I informed the FA and she tried a full reset, still no go.

She said she would inform the Service Director, but never gat back to me.

Should I write into AC and complain?
Old Apr 24, 2023, 9:56 am

On April 22, I flew AC121 YYZ-YVR, 777-200LR, seat 9G and couldn't get the massage function to work, it would light up for about 2 seconds, then turn off and also couldn't get the softness adjustment to go over 2 bars. The seat seemed partially inflated, but firm. I informed the FA and she tried a full reset, still no go.

If it was important to you, I would write in. You paid for a premium seat and didn't get 100% of that seat.

But keep your expectations low.
royng likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2023, 12:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I'd argue that if it was important to you, you should have gone up to find the SD and raised the issue.

It's a lot easier to deal with this when you're in flight.
Old Apr 24, 2023, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I'd argue that if it was important to you, you should have gone up to find the SD and raised the issue.

It's a lot easier to deal with this when you're in flight.
Good point, it wasn't bothering me too much so I just let it slide and I actually had a pretty good sleep.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 8:30 am

As a point of reference, I wrote into AC and they responded within 2 days and offered my a $200 eCoupon.

I'm pleasantly surprised that they responded quickly to my concern.
kalderlake likes this.
Old May 12, 2023, 3:12 pm

I would say so, but others who have just had a deflated seat may disagree.

My last deflated seat (that kept deflating once reset) was Aug 2019. <Fingers Crossed>

(I have had a couple of deflated seats since, but were totally fine after they were reset by me of the SD.)
I spoke too soon.

Had the top portion of my seat deflate on NRT-YYZ today. It would inflate but would be flat again in 30 minutes. Hard metal underneath around my shoulders. The J cabin was full.

Was proactively offered the Onboard Compensation form by the SD.
Old May 21, 2023, 9:50 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond , Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hertz PC, National EE
I spoke too soon.

Had the top portion of my seat deflate on NRT-YYZ today. It would inflate but would be flat again in 30 minutes. Hard metal underneath around my shoulders. The J cabin was full.

Was proactively offered the Onboard Compensation form by the SD.
Flying this route next week, which seat were you in I’ll try to pick that one since it should probably be fixed by then!
Old May 22, 2023, 2:15 pm

Programs: AC SEMM
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Omaha has its oracle, and AC FT has its own sage. It's been many years since he offered this and has since been proven right many times over. Just noticed the comment, and the accuracy is painful.
Wonder if the compensation amounts has increased with the recent high flight costs.
Old May 22, 2023, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by Argonaut1000
Wonder if the compensation amounts has increased with the recent high flight costs.
Not from what I have experienced.
Old May 24, 2023, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by jetdriver
flying this route next week, which seat were you in i’ll try to pick that one since it should probably be fixed by then!
7a - fin 859

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.