Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Argonaut1000
Click here to go to a picture of the White Compensation Form and its stub

View Deflated Seat History Here (Database for submitted occurrences)
Enter New Deflated Seat Occurrence Here (Submit one if you have experienced deflated seat and it will show up in the database above)
----
From post #49 in this thread, here's one potential way to (re)inflate an AC seat:
  • Go the home screen "Your Seat". (find this on the seat side panel; not the main video screen)
    • Hold the top left hand corner "Air Canada" (with AC logo) for 3 seconds. Updated (Apr 9 18): may need to hold for as long as 45 seconds for key pad to appear
      • Dial pad shows up - hit 3-2-1.
        • Press "Reset Lumbar Support"
Note that this method has not met 100% success so YMMV.
A better method is for a crew member to use the reset switch under the seat, on the aisle side.

Compensation offers (green/white sheet completed)
40K AE- Apr 18 (50% back of the J class one way redemption)
2018 Jun - $500 coupon
2018 Sep $1,000 eCoupon or 40K AP (P fare TPAC)
2018 Sep $500 eCoupon (P fare TPAC) (no change on protest- update - 6 months later the $150 was increased to $500 - admitted they had made an error)

Compensation offers (no green/white sheet completed)
100K - May 5 (C$150 eCoupon; was moved to a functioning seat after meal service)
2017 Sept - 8,000 AE miles - reported via complaint web page after realizing it was a faulty seat, not standard discomfort; Asked for return of eUps but they declined.
2017 Nov & 2018 Feb - $500 coupons both times (second time on protest that $500 had been offered the previous time)
2018 Sep. $250 coupon (on a paid J TATL).
2018 Nov - $500 eCoupon (J TATL)

Standard eCoupon compensation offers (no haggling; following a recurring pattern)
~10+ hours: $1000
Long TPAC (TPE-YVR)

~6 to ~10 hours: $500
Short TPAC (NRT-YVR)
TATL
South America: YYZ-GRU

less than ~6 hours: 300
TCON

Have a Service Director (SD) That Is Giving You the Case of the Shrugs? Like the real life version of this ASCII emoji -> ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ?

No success with the SD and/or crew rectifying your deflated seat and you can't be/aren't accommodated to another J seat? If you asked for a compensation form and the SD says they have no idea what you are talking about, you can use the below picture of the stub portion to help freshen their memory (better than nothing)...

Please note that for the longest time, the "Green Compensation Form" version was used, and there have been recent reports of the "White Compensation Form" replacing the Green version. Reports here have indicated that the two forms are virtually identical except for the colour.
There is now an even newer White Form which explicitly lists "deflated seat" and "deflated seat and fixed", among many other items.

Here is a snapshot of the NEWEST full form (as of August 2019), courtesy of lallied

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31421855-post2093.html
Originally Posted by lallied
Clearly jinxed myself. New form in case hasnt been posted before.

Oops, see it has been. I just didn’t look far enough down ☹️

This is only the stub portion, courtesy of lallied

Originally Posted by lallied

There’s a main section which the SD fills in and detachable section you get to keep. Each has a reference number. It looks like the green one to me except it’s white.

Example

Mattress pads purchased and listed in this thread

Print Wikipost

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2023, 2:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Seeing how customer relations doesnt read emails for at least 2 months, what would be the point of this?
Maybe not for you. I tend to get a response within 2 business days, and I'm sure JacFlyer would too.
Old Feb 28, 2023, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by canopus27
As long as you've told the onboard crew then they should be able to write it up in the plane's maintenance log. That's the right way to get things fixed for a specific plane.
Close to the end of the flight, pax at seat 5K seems to also have seat issue. FA performed the power switch reboot and apologized. I do hope they write in this and keep an entry in the log book.
Old Feb 28, 2023, 4:33 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by JacFlyer
Close to the end of the flight, pax at seat 5K seems to also have seat issue. FA performed the power switch reboot and apologized. I do hope they write in this and keep an entry in the log book.
Of course it's logged when brought to our attention. TBH I've only been made aware of 1 problematic seat (deflation) in probably 2 years plus. Always appreciate when any seat defect is identified to avoid inconvenience to the next Customer.
canopus27 likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 3:48 am

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Of course it's logged when brought to our attention. TBH I've only been made aware of 1 problematic seat (deflation) in probably 2 years plus. Always appreciate when any seat defect is identified to avoid inconvenience to the next Customer.
yeah 5K seems to have a more pressing issue as the foot rest refused to go down even after power switch reboot.
Pax was relocated to 6D for landing procedure. So I’m sure they logged this as it would pose a safety issue.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 9:27 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
It's always good to report any seat issues to the cabin crew.

Based on recent personal experience, whether or not Maintenance will actually do anything about it or anyone will bother to inform either Gate Agents or cabin crew of the next flight, is another matter entirely. But still worth reporting.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 4:16 am
Original Poster

Here's a new one. The digital controls are not working. The physical buttons are.

At the moment, that means no mattress adjustment, no relax mode, no massage, no lights, etc.

SD is going to attempt to reset it.

And this is after I swapped seats with someone 😂

This was the initial dialog that was showing after I got past the first screen:

Old Mar 6, 2023, 5:06 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Maybe not for you. I tend to get a response within 2 business days, and I'm sure JacFlyer would too.
Good ol’ Glenn gets back to me within a day or two typically also

Originally Posted by canadiancow
And this is after I swapped seats with someone 😂
Did you board late as usual? Wonder if there’s some seat swapping shenanigans afoot?
Old Mar 6, 2023, 5:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TheViperOne
Good ol’ Glenn gets back to me within a day or two typically also
I mean it's not "deflated", I just can't set it to what I want.

Nor can they seem to reset this panel. Everything else had been reset a few times. The toggle under the seat is not working.

SD asked 4G if he'd trade with me (or told him, I assume he's staff or this would be a ridiculous request), so that's an option.

But the seat "works". I just don't have full control.

Too bad I don't have a screwdriver. I bet there's a 50% chance an actual power cycle would fix this.

Originally Posted by TheViperOne
Did you board late as usual? Wonder if there’s some seat swapping shenanigans afoot?
No, I was first on, and 4D didn't even sit down before asking me. I posted in the seat swap thread.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 9:54 am

Dunno what's worse - the very user (or maybe users?) unfriendly error message or the unbelievable amount of grime around the edges of that display. Gross!

Having been in the opposite situation recently (controls worked just fine, mechanical bits were fubar), and although there is a mechanical fix that some FAs know about, I'd take the seat swap. Way too long a flight not to have recline.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 8:14 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
I recently had the misfortune of a non functioning seat matress cushion for a 787 transpacific flight. Despite multiple resets, the cusihon would inflate, and then deflate 10 minutes later. Air Canada now offers small blue foam cushions to be used. Unfortunately, the attempt to use a cushion and some extra blankets just made the issue worse. Compounding the mess was the constant freezing of the monitor and the need to reset several times. I received a form to submit. I suppose I might receive 25% off since I am non status, but It's ridiculous that the airline sells a seat that doesn't work. Some things don't change at AC since I had an unused coupon for a seat deflation issue that expired since it was only good during the covid period when I wasn't flying. (No chance of swapping out either since it the cabin was 100% occupied.). The only positive was the genuine concern of the SD. Air Canada is fortunate that it still has some decent dedicated employees who can defuse a situation. Overall, a frustrating, miserable experience.

Last edited by Transpacificflyer; Mar 18, 2023 at 8:19 pm
Old Mar 22, 2023, 12:17 am

Encountered my first deflated seat (FIN 847 6K) and got this:
Attached Images  
Old Mar 23, 2023, 7:58 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Had my first one in I'm guessing two years. It was known prior to the flight and was removed as a **do not occupy** seat.
FYI - aircraft are equipped with seat cushion support pads should this occur in flight.
Old Mar 23, 2023, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by vancouver25k
Encountered my first deflated seat (FIN 847 6K) and got this:
This form was useless. The SD filled it out, I got the bottom portion, with and assurance "someone will contact you".
Of course noone ever did.

Why arent SDs enabled to issue onboard compensation? This week my IFE wasnt working on United and the FA issued $250 onboard directly to my account, no hassle, no forms, no emails
Da_Master likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2023, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu
This form was useless. The SD filled it out, I got the bottom portion, with and assurance "someone will contact you".
Of course noone ever did.
That has not been my experience as recently as last Xmas. It took about 6 weeks, but I got a reply and an offer of compensation.
Old Mar 23, 2023, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
That has not been my experience as recently as last Xmas. It took about 6 weeks, but I got a reply and an offer of compensation.
I guess thats the SE express version, after 2 months, I gave up waiting, and wrote in, another few weeks later, and got my cert.
To be fair to AC, they do compensate well for this issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.