Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Argonaut1000
Click here to go to a picture of the White Compensation Form and its stub

View Deflated Seat History Here (Database for submitted occurrences)
Enter New Deflated Seat Occurrence Here (Submit one if you have experienced deflated seat and it will show up in the database above)
----
From post #49 in this thread, here's one potential way to (re)inflate an AC seat:
  • Go the home screen "Your Seat". (find this on the seat side panel; not the main video screen)
    • Hold the top left hand corner "Air Canada" (with AC logo) for 3 seconds. Updated (Apr 9 18): may need to hold for as long as 45 seconds for key pad to appear
      • Dial pad shows up - hit 3-2-1.
        • Press "Reset Lumbar Support"
Note that this method has not met 100% success so YMMV.
A better method is for a crew member to use the reset switch under the seat, on the aisle side.

Compensation offers (green/white sheet completed)
40K AE- Apr 18 (50% back of the J class one way redemption)
2018 Jun - $500 coupon
2018 Sep $1,000 eCoupon or 40K AP (P fare TPAC)
2018 Sep $500 eCoupon (P fare TPAC) (no change on protest- update - 6 months later the $150 was increased to $500 - admitted they had made an error)

Compensation offers (no green/white sheet completed)
100K - May 5 (C$150 eCoupon; was moved to a functioning seat after meal service)
2017 Sept - 8,000 AE miles - reported via complaint web page after realizing it was a faulty seat, not standard discomfort; Asked for return of eUps but they declined.
2017 Nov & 2018 Feb - $500 coupons both times (second time on protest that $500 had been offered the previous time)
2018 Sep. $250 coupon (on a paid J TATL).
2018 Nov - $500 eCoupon (J TATL)

Standard eCoupon compensation offers (no haggling; following a recurring pattern)
~10+ hours: $1000
Long TPAC (TPE-YVR)

~6 to ~10 hours: $500
Short TPAC (NRT-YVR)
TATL
South America: YYZ-GRU

less than ~6 hours: 300
TCON

Have a Service Director (SD) That Is Giving You the Case of the Shrugs? Like the real life version of this ASCII emoji -> ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ?

No success with the SD and/or crew rectifying your deflated seat and you can't be/aren't accommodated to another J seat? If you asked for a compensation form and the SD says they have no idea what you are talking about, you can use the below picture of the stub portion to help freshen their memory (better than nothing)...

Please note that for the longest time, the "Green Compensation Form" version was used, and there have been recent reports of the "White Compensation Form" replacing the Green version. Reports here have indicated that the two forms are virtually identical except for the colour.
There is now an even newer White Form which explicitly lists "deflated seat" and "deflated seat and fixed", among many other items.

Here is a snapshot of the NEWEST full form (as of August 2019), courtesy of lallied

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31421855-post2093.html
Originally Posted by lallied
Clearly jinxed myself. New form in case hasnt been posted before.

Oops, see it has been. I just didn’t look far enough down ☹️

This is only the stub portion, courtesy of lallied

Originally Posted by lallied

There’s a main section which the SD fills in and detachable section you get to keep. Each has a reference number. It looks like the green one to me except it’s white.

Example

Mattress pads purchased and listed in this thread

Print Wikipost

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2017, 3:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Okay my second complaint received a 25% coupon. No miles/credit option.

Though to be fair, that's probably worth more than $500 to me.
Queen B likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 6:50 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
Not totally impossible. I can see the airline not being super thrilled about tossing $500 vouchers left and right.
And here I am thinking a 50% cash refund is reasonable.

I wasnt thrilled that I was forced to lie on a board for 13 hours when I paid for a $4000 seat. Or whatever considerable value applies to your flight.

If if they aren’t thrilled maybe they should, oh, I dunno, fix the problem?
Old Nov 27, 2017, 8:12 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Not totally impossible. I can see the airline not being super thrilled about tossing $500 vouchers left and right.
If the seat is deflated, it is broken. A broken seat on a J-class fare, especially on a long-haul flight is worthy of generous compensation IMO.
tcook052, AleEat, hazcaddy and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 11:14 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Totally is. I just don't expect them to proactively throw money left and right. They are a corporation after all.

What I think is important is that people continue to report these incidents,and report the names of the FAs/SDs that are not providing any forms.

Maybe the protocol doesn't call for handing out a form, but if that is the case, then CR shouldn't require the client to provide one as proof.

As a side note, I am still waiting for a copy of the draft sent to the manufacturer lol
Old Nov 27, 2017, 11:29 pm
Original Poster

Totally is. I just don't expect them to proactively throw money left and right. They are a corporation after all.

What I think is important is that people continue to report these incidents,and report the names of the FAs/SDs that are not providing any forms.

Maybe the protocol doesn't call for handing out a form, but if that is the case, then CR shouldn't require the client to provide one as proof.

As a side note, I am still waiting for a copy of the draft sent to the manufacturer lol
I have not been told anything about not getting a form.

Either way, this needs to be fixed.

Making* me move after boarding is annoying.
Making* me move mid-flight is annoying.
Moving me to a new seat that is also broken is annoying.

I don't want to be annoyed in J.

*"Offering" might be a better word, but in the context of a broken seat, it's not really an offer if you want a comfortable flight
Old Nov 28, 2017, 1:14 am
Suspended

Programs: mmm yeah babe
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I don't want to be annoyed in J.
You said it perfectly: fixable or not, reportable or not, the fact is that this should not be such a widespread issue in J. AC needs to step up their game here; people dropping thousands of dollars won't take well to a metal bench.

But, let's face it canadiancow, you and I both know that you'll always be a little annoyed when flying AC.

Last edited by MmmYeahBabe; Nov 28, 2017 at 7:31 pm Reason: No longer an admirer of the cow
Old Nov 28, 2017, 1:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MmmYeahBabe
Long-time lurker and admirer of 'the cow.'

You said it perfectly: fixable or not, reportable or not, the fact is that this should not be such a widespread issue in J. AC needs to step up their game here; people dropping thousands of dollars won't take well to a metal bench.

But, let's face it canadiancow, you and I both know that you'll always be a little annoyed when flying AC.
Disagree. The best airplane food I've ever had was on AC. The best service was on AC.

The worst food and worst service were on other airlines, in F and J.

I still prefer the AC seat to BR or NH.

I get off many AC flights completely satisfied.
karachi likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 5:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by D582
If the seat is deflated, it is broken. A broken seat on a J-class fare, especially on a long-haul flight is worthy of generous compensation IMO.
But what compensation is sufficient in this case?

Would you accept an economy class seat then, with the difference being returned to you which is calculated as the price between what you paid for business and economy class then?
Old Nov 28, 2017, 7:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: mmm yeah babe
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Disagree.
I get off many AC flights completely satisfied.
I take back what I said. Literally.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 9:24 am
formerly airedalemom

Programs: AC 25K, AF, Marriott etc......
Well this is not encouraging news - I have two long hauls upcoming in AC J class that cost me a pretty penny- I sure hope my seats are comfortable- that's my motivation for paying the extra $$
Old Dec 1, 2017, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Hyatt Globalist
Happened to me 8/27 DXB-YYZ on the 789. FA couldn't fix it, or didn't try, and no spare seats, no spare pillows. Took a few hours from T/O to deflate.

Complained and got a $500 voucher.

Used miles so though uncomfortable not atrocious. Will avoid AC long haul in J for a while.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 3:07 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
So this just happened to me
yyz to icn. Ac061
icn to Yyz. Ac062 FIN852 (oct 2017 plane)

on on the way there
seat 5k broke and they switched to 6k for me
the inflation for the seat didn’t work

not a big deal since I’m traveling alone and there are other empty seats

on the way back
seat 4G the seat broke on me 2 times. It wouldn’t adjust at all

had to switch seat with a Stewart who was off duty flying in business class

complaint to ac
still waiting for reply
Old Dec 1, 2017, 3:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
I don't suppose we have any volunteers for a wiki?

(I've had 2 ghost seats. Those were fun albeit creepy. Maybe there should be a thread for that too. )
Old Dec 1, 2017, 5:46 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by 24left
I don't suppose we have any volunteers for a wiki?
A Wiki for the reset options or a wiki to attempt to track fins and seats?

I imagine the latter would stale date eventually if AC Maint is doing their job.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 6:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
A Wiki for the reset options or a wiki to attempt to track fins and seats?

I imagine the latter would stale date eventually if AC Maint is doing their job.
track fins and seats

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.