Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Argonaut1000
Click here to go to a picture of the White Compensation Form and its stub

View Deflated Seat History Here (Database for submitted occurrences)
Enter New Deflated Seat Occurrence Here (Submit one if you have experienced deflated seat and it will show up in the database above)
----
From post #49 in this thread, here's one potential way to (re)inflate an AC seat:
  • Go the home screen "Your Seat". (find this on the seat side panel; not the main video screen)
    • Hold the top left hand corner "Air Canada" (with AC logo) for 3 seconds. Updated (Apr 9 18): may need to hold for as long as 45 seconds for key pad to appear
      • Dial pad shows up - hit 3-2-1.
        • Press "Reset Lumbar Support"
Note that this method has not met 100% success so YMMV.
A better method is for a crew member to use the reset switch under the seat, on the aisle side.

Compensation offers (green/white sheet completed)
40K AE- Apr 18 (50% back of the J class one way redemption)
2018 Jun - $500 coupon
2018 Sep $1,000 eCoupon or 40K AP (P fare TPAC)
2018 Sep $500 eCoupon (P fare TPAC) (no change on protest- update - 6 months later the $150 was increased to $500 - admitted they had made an error)

Compensation offers (no green/white sheet completed)
100K - May 5 (C$150 eCoupon; was moved to a functioning seat after meal service)
2017 Sept - 8,000 AE miles - reported via complaint web page after realizing it was a faulty seat, not standard discomfort; Asked for return of eUps but they declined.
2017 Nov & 2018 Feb - $500 coupons both times (second time on protest that $500 had been offered the previous time)
2018 Sep. $250 coupon (on a paid J TATL).
2018 Nov - $500 eCoupon (J TATL)

Standard eCoupon compensation offers (no haggling; following a recurring pattern)
~10+ hours: $1000
Long TPAC (TPE-YVR)

~6 to ~10 hours: $500
Short TPAC (NRT-YVR)
TATL
South America: YYZ-GRU

less than ~6 hours: 300
TCON

Have a Service Director (SD) That Is Giving You the Case of the Shrugs? Like the real life version of this ASCII emoji -> ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ?

No success with the SD and/or crew rectifying your deflated seat and you can't be/aren't accommodated to another J seat? If you asked for a compensation form and the SD says they have no idea what you are talking about, you can use the below picture of the stub portion to help freshen their memory (better than nothing)...

Please note that for the longest time, the "Green Compensation Form" version was used, and there have been recent reports of the "White Compensation Form" replacing the Green version. Reports here have indicated that the two forms are virtually identical except for the colour.
There is now an even newer White Form which explicitly lists "deflated seat" and "deflated seat and fixed", among many other items.

Here is a snapshot of the NEWEST full form (as of August 2019), courtesy of lallied

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31421855-post2093.html
Originally Posted by lallied
Clearly jinxed myself. New form in case hasnt been posted before.

Oops, see it has been. I just didn’t look far enough down ☹️

This is only the stub portion, courtesy of lallied

Originally Posted by lallied

There’s a main section which the SD fills in and detachable section you get to keep. Each has a reference number. It looks like the green one to me except it’s white.

Example

Mattress pads purchased and listed in this thread

Print Wikipost

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2017, 1:48 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by flyquiet
How late is too late to submit a feedback form? I know the date and seat and flight number, but am not a FIN# recording aficionado. At the very least, I would like to ensure they hear about the prevalence of the problem, not just the tip of the iceberg that complains.
It's never too late, the Company can track fin numbers. We rely heavily upon our Customers to identify inoperative items to ensure that they are fixed at the next landing point or earliest opportunity.
flyquiet likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
There's really no trick. There is a specific reset procedure, and while I agree it's a nuisance, it is generally successful. Only once have I had to log the seat as inoperative, and relocate the Customer.
I had two seats yesterday where the reset re-inflated it, but then it deflated again.

If it deflated once, there's a leak, and pumping more are in isn't going to "solve" the problem.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:29 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by canadiancow
If it deflated once, there's a leak, and pumping more are in isn't going to "solve" the problem.
It needs a ride height sensor like a car with air suspension! As the cushion deflates the compressor can kick in to reinflate.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I had two seats yesterday where the reset re-inflated it, but then it deflated again.

Ok, I'll play cow's devil's advocate here...

Sometimes I do this the first time and it deflates after some time... and after the second manual DIY reset, it doesn't deflate for the rest of the trip... so I'm not sure if it is entirely true that if it deflates after a manual DIY that there's necessarily a leak.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Ok, I'll play cow's devil's advocate here...

Sometimes I do this the first time and it deflates after some time... and after the second manual DIY reset, it doesn't deflate for the rest of the trip... so I'm not sure if it is entirely true that if it deflates after a manual DIY that there's necessarily a leak.
Well then how did it deflate the first time?
Old Nov 20, 2017, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Well then how did it deflate the first time?
Seat malfunction?
Too many comfort muffins inside the previous pax?
Old Nov 20, 2017, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Seat malfunction?
Too many comfort muffins inside the previous pax?
Or a leak?
Old Nov 20, 2017, 4:12 pm

Isn't it kind of appalling that this is a thing for premium seats that cost several thousands of dollars, which are the focus of much of the advertising and branding of Air Canada, that there seems to be little initiative to fix it, and even worse, most of us in here would expect them to do nothing about it other than hack-fixes by onboard staff?
Old Nov 20, 2017, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
Isn't it kind of appalling that this is a thing for premium seats that cost several thousands of dollars, which are the focus of much of the advertising and branding of Air Canada, that there seems to be little initiative to fix it, and even worse, most of us in here would expect them to do nothing about it other than hack-fixes by onboard staff?
Actually, I started this thread because I was pretty sure it was a mostly unreported widespread issue.

If AC doesn't know about it, or they think it's the occasional seat here and there, what would you expect them to do, other than alert maintenance that seat ABC on fin XYZ is defective?

Well, now AC knows, and the responses in this thread should make it very clear just how widespread it is.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 4:17 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
Best NA Airline
Symmetre likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 5:16 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
The rate of failures for these seats is alarming based on the responses in this thread. I've had this issue at least 5 times out about 50 segments in these seats across the 788, 789, 77W and 77Ls (so about 10%). I only wrote in 3 times, but now I'm going to write in each and every time just so its on record (in addition to reporting it to the crew, who may or may not actually log it). Compensation has ranged from a return of eUpgrades, to a $300 voucher (for YYZ-SFO in I class).

I think it would be a bit naive to think that AC has no knowledge of this problem (but perhaps not how widespread it is), but if I were them I hope their warranty/contract with the supplier will get this fixed (including replacing or redesigning the seats at the supplier's cost).
Old Nov 20, 2017, 6:06 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by D582
The rate of failures for these seats is alarming based on the responses in this thread. I've had this issue at least 5 times out about 50 segments in these seats across the 788, 789, 77W and 77Ls (so about 10%). I only wrote in 3 times, but now I'm going to write in each and every time just so its on record (in addition to reporting it to the crew, who may or may not actually log it). Compensation has ranged from a return of eUpgrades, to a $300 voucher (for YYZ-SFO in I class).

I think it would be a bit naive to think that AC has no knowledge of this problem (but perhaps not how widespread it is), but if I were them I hope their warranty/contract with the supplier will get this fixed (including replacing or redesigning the seats at the supplier's cost).
If you report it, we log it. Not at all sure why you would think otherwise. It's also common protocol to advise the pilots who datalink ahead the list of issues to MTC Control.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 6:32 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
If you report it, we log it. Not at all sure why you would think otherwise. It's also common protocol to advise the pilots who datalink ahead the list of issues to MTC Control.
I’m sure you do (not sure if I’ve had the pleasure of flying with you yet), but unfortunately I’ve met some of your colleagues who seemed to not care about things like this and have told me if I’m unhappy to write in to customer service.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 6:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
It seems the majority of you fliers on AC's air mattress business class product have never owned a car with air suspension.

Based on my experience having owned several of said cars, I'm going to suspect there's a serious leakage problem going on here. Perhaps the motors that inflate the air into the mattresses are getting blown out due to them constantly being on.

Given the multiple datapoints that this thread has now given us, I highly suggest Air Canada investigate this potentially systemic issue with the seat manufacturer. Something seems strangely amiss here, although this may explain why several business class products in this type of Dreamcabin configuration don't have an air mattress.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
These are the Super Diamond seat made by BE Aerospace.
Now Rockwell Collins. And others who utilize the Seat (QR,AA etc). are finding proactive solutions to issues. The issue with the lifting table laminate has been addressed as all tables are undergoing a replacement -- believe that's over 1700 in all. Maintenance & Engineering are on it.

Thank you both

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.