Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Argonaut1000
Click here to go to a picture of the White Compensation Form and its stub

View Deflated Seat History Here (Database for submitted occurrences)
Enter New Deflated Seat Occurrence Here (Submit one if you have experienced deflated seat and it will show up in the database above)
----
From post #49 in this thread, here's one potential way to (re)inflate an AC seat:
  • Go the home screen "Your Seat". (find this on the seat side panel; not the main video screen)
    • Hold the top left hand corner "Air Canada" (with AC logo) for 3 seconds. Updated (Apr 9 18): may need to hold for as long as 45 seconds for key pad to appear
      • Dial pad shows up - hit 3-2-1.
        • Press "Reset Lumbar Support"
Note that this method has not met 100% success so YMMV.
A better method is for a crew member to use the reset switch under the seat, on the aisle side.

Compensation offers (green/white sheet completed)
40K AE- Apr 18 (50% back of the J class one way redemption)
2018 Jun - $500 coupon
2018 Sep $1,000 eCoupon or 40K AP (P fare TPAC)
2018 Sep $500 eCoupon (P fare TPAC) (no change on protest- update - 6 months later the $150 was increased to $500 - admitted they had made an error)

Compensation offers (no green/white sheet completed)
100K - May 5 (C$150 eCoupon; was moved to a functioning seat after meal service)
2017 Sept - 8,000 AE miles - reported via complaint web page after realizing it was a faulty seat, not standard discomfort; Asked for return of eUps but they declined.
2017 Nov & 2018 Feb - $500 coupons both times (second time on protest that $500 had been offered the previous time)
2018 Sep. $250 coupon (on a paid J TATL).
2018 Nov - $500 eCoupon (J TATL)

Standard eCoupon compensation offers (no haggling; following a recurring pattern)
~10+ hours: $1000
Long TPAC (TPE-YVR)

~6 to ~10 hours: $500
Short TPAC (NRT-YVR)
TATL
South America: YYZ-GRU

less than ~6 hours: 300
TCON

Have a Service Director (SD) That Is Giving You the Case of the Shrugs? Like the real life version of this ASCII emoji -> ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ?

No success with the SD and/or crew rectifying your deflated seat and you can't be/aren't accommodated to another J seat? If you asked for a compensation form and the SD says they have no idea what you are talking about, you can use the below picture of the stub portion to help freshen their memory (better than nothing)...

Please note that for the longest time, the "Green Compensation Form" version was used, and there have been recent reports of the "White Compensation Form" replacing the Green version. Reports here have indicated that the two forms are virtually identical except for the colour.
There is now an even newer White Form which explicitly lists "deflated seat" and "deflated seat and fixed", among many other items.

Here is a snapshot of the NEWEST full form (as of August 2019), courtesy of lallied

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31421855-post2093.html
Originally Posted by lallied
Clearly jinxed myself. New form in case hasnt been posted before.

Oops, see it has been. I just didn’t look far enough down ☹️

This is only the stub portion, courtesy of lallied

Originally Posted by lallied

There’s a main section which the SD fills in and detachable section you get to keep. Each has a reference number. It looks like the green one to me except it’s white.

Example

Mattress pads purchased and listed in this thread

Print Wikipost

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2017, 6:21 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
If you guys are going to go through with this, may I offer a suggestion?

Instead of contacting the vendor, document each incidents with the SD and follow up with Cusomter Relations every single time.

This will allow AC to build a document case on incident/maintenance reports, as well as repair and customer goodwill cost (Maintenance records and customer relations records of costs/compensation offered). AC will then have a solid case to present to their vendor in order to solve the issue.

Contacting the vendor directly will certainly create amazing lulz and memes, but in the end it may just complicate the situation further if it's actually taken seriously.

Just imagine if you think the fish in a restaurant is bad, and then you end up sending formal emails to Noref about the quality of their products.
Premium seats are to fish what health care is to broccoli.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by IluvSQ
He was a Globe and Mail reporter, but haven't seen anything by him for some years.
Doug McArthur, I think, or something like that.
He retired. There is no similar reporting anywhere; most of what goes for reporting is really just paid advertorials.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 7:34 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by YVRtoYYZ
Conversely, if they are getting a plurality of complaints/questions, wouldn't that lead them to think there is a problem with their product?
Bingo. It reinforces that there is an issue.

Originally Posted by airbus320
Do you honestly believe that you will receive a response?
Legal counsel for Rockwell will be involved.
Yes, I honestly believe there will be a response. On the responsibility scale, Rockwell is a fairly decent company and has a good reputation. As one of the better quality multinationals out there, I would expect the company to take note of the complaint. A socially responsible company does pay attention when it receives multiple product quality complaints.

From a more devious perspective, there is a higher degree of care applied to product classes like aviation. As soon as one references the possibility of bodily injury, there is an obligation to investigate. For example, I was recently onboard Airline XXX , flight no. ### (AAA- ZZZ) and was assigned a seat manufactured by your company. The seat suffered a malfunction that caused me to suffer pain in my back and extended discomfort and anguish. As much as I hold the airline liable, I also hold you, the manufacturer of an apparent defective product , for my injury. I ask for your assistance in resolving this matter in a fair manner. CC Airline.

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
If you guys are going to go through with this, may I offer a suggestion?
Instead of contacting the vendor, document each incidents with the SD and follow up with Customer Relations every single time.
This will allow AC to build a document case on incident/maintenance reports, as well as repair and customer goodwill cost (Maintenance records and customer relations records of costs/compensation offered). AC will then have a solid case to present to their vendor in order to solve the issue.
Contacting the vendor directly will certainly create amazing lulz and memes, but in the end it may just complicate the situation further if it's actually taken seriously.
Just imagine if you think the fish in a restaurant is bad, and then you end up sending formal emails to Noref about the quality of their products.
Based upon the statements given in this thread, the seat defect is a known issue and been common for over a year. If the airline was going to respond, it would have done so by now and would have provided a full and honest statement as to its strategy to remedy the defect. Air Canada has not done so and IMO it is reasonable to conclude that if the airline is aware of the issue and has not been transparent, then it does not wish customers to know that they have a significant likelihood of being assigned a defective seat. Hardly, a strategy that will reassure a customer.

This may not even be a seat defect, but a software control issue related to the IFE system or other software that is unrelated to the seat manufacturer. Alerting the seat manufacturer to the defect might cause the manufacturer to offer a statement such as Our investigation is that the cause of the sudden deflation of seats is not related to the seat mechanism itself. Please contact your airline customer care service to follow up on your concern. This puts the onus on the airline to address the issue.

If one does not speak up when injured, then one must accept the injury in stoic silence.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Bingo. It reinforces that there is an issue.

Yes, I honestly believe there will be a response. .
Thank you for volunteering to be the representative to contact them! Keep us apprised as to their response!

(-;
canadiancow and longtimeflyin like this.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 5:24 am

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by KenHamer
Premium seats are to fish what health care is to broccoli.
I am eating a salad today, and it contains broccoli.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 12:11 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jlisi984
Wow, I'm surprised this has turned into such a big thread so late into the game... the problem is VERY common. On my last trip, 2/3 of our seats were deflated, and when I overheard a guy complaining and saw the FA didn't know how to do it, I fixed it for him. Soon enough, two other people came up to me with broken seats. Luckily I haven't experienced complete deflation during the flight, but it's not uncommon to feel the seat pumping under you during the flight. The idea is great but I'm not sure if the problems outweigh the issues (probably not). I've also found J full on all my recent flights, so I'm not sure how moving around would be possible on these. I once had a GA ask if I'd like to switch because a screen was broken, but I declined. But never about the seat...
I believe I had first posted the 3-2-1 fix way back somewhere in June 2016 or earlier. So the problem has been around for some time however perhaps its frequency may have increased over the last year and maybe more seats are deflating.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 12:39 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Here are my completely uninformed guesses based on recent trends:

SCENARIO A:
1 - The original design specified a material for the inflatable cushion that would stand up to years of use in a harsh environment.
2 - The original manufacturer of said material was either bought out or subcontracted the manufacturing of said material to a third party.
3 - The new/subcontracted manufacturer does not meet the original specifications, so the seat does not hold air after a period of use.

SCENARIO B:
1 - The manufacturer offered two grades of material for the inflatable cushion. The high grade material was guaranteed to stand up for many years of use. The lower grade material was a few dollars cheaper.
2 - AC chose the lower grade material to save a few bucks a seat and increase somebody's bonus
3 - The lower grade material does not hold air after a period of use.

SCENARIO C:
1 - The manufacturer recommends that the seat cushions be replaced every X number of years, where X is quite small.
2 - AC tries to extend the life by using them for X+Y years, thus saving money and increasing somebody's bonus.
3 - The seats are starting to fail because they are past their rated life.

SCENARIO D:
1 - A disgruntled long-haul frequent flyer is upset by insufficient KitKats and is systematically punching very small holes in cushions on every flight that he takes using a cleverly designed tool disguised as an everyday object.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 1:31 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by smallmj
Here are my completely uninformed guesses based on recent trends:

SCENARIO A:
1 - The original design specified a material for the inflatable cushion that would stand up to years of use in a harsh environment.
2 - The original manufacturer of said material was either bought out or subcontracted the manufacturing of said material to a third party.
3 - The new/subcontracted manufacturer does not meet the original specifications, so the seat does not hold air after a period of use.

SCENARIO B:
1 - The manufacturer offered two grades of material for the inflatable cushion. The high grade material was guaranteed to stand up for many years of use. The lower grade material was a few dollars cheaper.
2 - AC chose the lower grade material to save a few bucks a seat and increase somebody's bonus
3 - The lower grade material does not hold air after a period of use.

SCENARIO C:
1 - The manufacturer recommends that the seat cushions be replaced every X number of years, where X is quite small.
2 - AC tries to extend the life by using them for X+Y years, thus saving money and increasing somebody's bonus.
3 - The seats are starting to fail because they are past their rated life.

SCENARIO D:
1 - A disgruntled long-haul frequent flyer is upset by insufficient KitKats and is systematically punching very small holes in cushions on every flight that he takes using a cleverly designed tool disguised as an everyday object.
Scenario E :
The seats are defective i.e. they do not meet the original specifications. Not sure how widespread this is on other carriers using the same seat. Perhaps the other carriers have been fixing the issue more proactively.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 2:17 pm

Programs: *$ Green
I think scenario D is the most likely.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 2:31 pm

Programs: AC*SE 1MM. a bunch of hotel programs.
Tangent - i've not had this specific issue but on more than 3 occasions, while flat i've noticed the massage function turning on by itself. At first i thought it was the old nightcap, but it repeated. I assumed it was the massage function as it felt like there was a 'bubble'

anyone else had this ?
FlyingGnome likes this.

Last edited by karachi; Nov 22, 2017 at 2:32 pm Reason: editing
Old Nov 23, 2017, 2:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
On AC 3 "today" the crew was asking if I was testing the seat when I got on board.

They'd never heard of the deflation issue.

Luckily I didn't experience it.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 9:53 am

Programs: AC E50K
Originally Posted by karachi
Tangent - i've not had this specific issue but on more than 3 occasions, while flat i've noticed the massage function turning on by itself. At first i thought it was the old nightcap, but it repeated. I assumed it was the massage function as it felt like there was a 'bubble'

anyone else had this ?
YES! I blamed it on the nightcap as well. Nice to know I'm not (completely) out of my mind.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 10:03 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by smallmj
SCENARIO D:
Thanks for the thoughtful post- I am guessing some combination of those may the correct answer...

Though I just wanted to add a small correction to Scenario D as follows-- bolding/underline mine:
1 - A disgruntled long-haul frequent flyer is upset by insufficient KitKats and is systematically punching very small holes in cushions on every flight that she takes using a cleverly designed tool disguised as an everyday object.
You know who you are
Old Nov 23, 2017, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad
It's not a manual switch.

It's actually a little beachball nipple that juts out. All you have to do is lift the plug and then inhale and then blow into the nipple to add air.
You need to do this between 200 to 400 times depending on the firmness that you require.
All of a sudden the old classic regains relevance
Old Nov 23, 2017, 9:50 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by canadiancow
On AC 3 "today" the crew was asking if I was testing the seat when I got on board.

They'd never heard of the deflation issue.

Luckily I didn't experience it.
The crew knew in advance that you've had seat deflation issues? I take it AC higher ups notified the crew that you've been having deflation issues?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.