Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Argonaut1000
Click here to go to a picture of the White Compensation Form and its stub

View Deflated Seat History Here (Database for submitted occurrences)
Enter New Deflated Seat Occurrence Here (Submit one if you have experienced deflated seat and it will show up in the database above)
----
From post #49 in this thread, here's one potential way to (re)inflate an AC seat:
  • Go the home screen "Your Seat". (find this on the seat side panel; not the main video screen)
    • Hold the top left hand corner "Air Canada" (with AC logo) for 3 seconds. Updated (Apr 9 18): may need to hold for as long as 45 seconds for key pad to appear
      • Dial pad shows up - hit 3-2-1.
        • Press "Reset Lumbar Support"
Note that this method has not met 100% success so YMMV.
A better method is for a crew member to use the reset switch under the seat, on the aisle side.

Compensation offers (green/white sheet completed)
40K AE- Apr 18 (50% back of the J class one way redemption)
2018 Jun - $500 coupon
2018 Sep $1,000 eCoupon or 40K AP (P fare TPAC)
2018 Sep $500 eCoupon (P fare TPAC) (no change on protest- update - 6 months later the $150 was increased to $500 - admitted they had made an error)

Compensation offers (no green/white sheet completed)
100K - May 5 (C$150 eCoupon; was moved to a functioning seat after meal service)
2017 Sept - 8,000 AE miles - reported via complaint web page after realizing it was a faulty seat, not standard discomfort; Asked for return of eUps but they declined.
2017 Nov & 2018 Feb - $500 coupons both times (second time on protest that $500 had been offered the previous time)
2018 Sep. $250 coupon (on a paid J TATL).
2018 Nov - $500 eCoupon (J TATL)

Standard eCoupon compensation offers (no haggling; following a recurring pattern)
~10+ hours: $1000
Long TPAC (TPE-YVR)

~6 to ~10 hours: $500
Short TPAC (NRT-YVR)
TATL
South America: YYZ-GRU

less than ~6 hours: 300
TCON

Have a Service Director (SD) That Is Giving You the Case of the Shrugs? Like the real life version of this ASCII emoji -> ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ?

No success with the SD and/or crew rectifying your deflated seat and you can't be/aren't accommodated to another J seat? If you asked for a compensation form and the SD says they have no idea what you are talking about, you can use the below picture of the stub portion to help freshen their memory (better than nothing)...

Please note that for the longest time, the "Green Compensation Form" version was used, and there have been recent reports of the "White Compensation Form" replacing the Green version. Reports here have indicated that the two forms are virtually identical except for the colour.
There is now an even newer White Form which explicitly lists "deflated seat" and "deflated seat and fixed", among many other items.

Here is a snapshot of the NEWEST full form (as of August 2019), courtesy of lallied

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31421855-post2093.html
Originally Posted by lallied
Clearly jinxed myself. New form in case hasnt been posted before.

Oops, see it has been. I just didn’t look far enough down ☹️

This is only the stub portion, courtesy of lallied

Originally Posted by lallied

There’s a main section which the SD fills in and detachable section you get to keep. Each has a reference number. It looks like the green one to me except it’s white.

Example

Mattress pads purchased and listed in this thread

Print Wikipost

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2019, 3:49 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Titanium, National Executive
I just got off AC91 (7A). The seat kept deflating, it would inflate when I reset it on the control panel, but would deflate again an hour later. I paid for J because of the red eye and I need to work today. Too bad I had to wake up 5 times during the night to reset the lumbar 😡
Old Feb 6, 2019, 5:28 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by mendy7511
I just got off AC91 (7A). The seat kept deflating, it would inflate when I reset it on the control panel, but would deflate again an hour later. I paid for J because of the red eye and I need to work today. Too bad I had to wake up 5 times during the night to reset the lumbar 😡
Did you get a compensation form from the SD?
Old Feb 6, 2019, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by Plumber

I think the contention is, sometimes, that you have to get up find SD, have them agree it’s flat and then reset together. Otherwise you may be gaming the system. Which guarantees for me an entirely sleepless night as struggle to stay asleep even without doing the aisle tango at hourly intervals.

There is a certain logic in it I guess as you could have a non-deflated seat and then just report the next morning that you had to reset it all night.

At the moment if I am on an AC flight I check the seat before I put my bag down and then move immediately. Even going up to the gate and asking for GA to move me before they finalize the UGs. Life is too short.

Old Feb 6, 2019, 9:47 am

Programs: AC E35K
Originally Posted by chazbag
I've had a bit of a weird communication from Air Canada re: deflating seats that I thought I'd share.

I had faulty seats on two flights in a row between LHR and YYZ. Was unable to move as J was full each time. Got the form from the SD on both flights. Hadn't heard anything or received compensation offer for four weeks so I submitted a customer care query. Was offered 2,000 miles (!!!) as a gesture of goodwill. Weirdly, the customer care agent seems to think I've already been provided compensation by 'the inflight team'.

It's super weird as my understanding was the inflight team doesn't provide compensation, this always comes afterwards and is triggered by the white form. Am I missing something?

I've pushed back and have requested compensation actually be provided, who knows what will happen. Last time I received 20,000 miles for my faulty seat so assumed I would receive the same for each flight on this itinerary given that they were both pancakes.

Had anyone else experienced this particular scenario?
Update to this: I’ve now been offered a 25% discount code in total for the two pancake seats. No offer of AP miles. Have pushed back again. Unfortunately the customer service rep is not terribly competent. Have asked for an offer reflecting the two deflated seats with the choice of AP miles / discount code and to speak to a manager. Anyone ever managed a call back from them?
Old Feb 6, 2019, 10:00 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by chazbag

Update to this: I’ve now been offered a 25% discount code in total for the two pancake seats. No offer of AP miles. Have pushed back again. Unfortunately the customer service rep is not terribly competent. Have asked for an offer reflecting the two deflated seats with the choice of AP miles / discount code and to speak to a manager. Anyone ever managed a call back from them?
I have received calls from Customer Service apologizing for the deflated seat and informing me of the amount of AP miles that will be deposited into my account.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 10:26 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Man, I'm jealous of all you guys getting discount codes and Aeroplan miles. Provided they were adequate, I'd much rather have those than the $500 eMCOs I got.

I wasn't offered any choice, just straight up given the eMCO.

I had heard from a reliable source at AC that the compensation was initially being billed back to the seat manufacturer. I wonder whether the shift to discount codes/Aeroplan miles means that they've hit the cap on compensation in that contract.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Man, I'm jealous of all you guys getting discount codes and Aeroplan miles. Provided they were adequate, I'd much rather have those than the $500 eMCOs I got.
Do you really want a 25% coupon over a $500 eMCO? I'll take the latter any day since AmEx keeps sending me 15% off AC travel coupons every quarter. At least the eMCOs can be coupled with other discounts to significantly reduce the cost of your next PY err I mean J flight

-James
Old Feb 6, 2019, 10:55 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by j2simpso

Do you really want a 25% coupon over a $500 eMCO? I'll take the latter any day since AmEx keeps sending me 15% off AC travel coupons every quarter. At least the eMCOs can be coupled with other discounts to significantly reduce the cost of your next PY err I mean J flight
I typically buy 1-2 round trips to Europe, in J, for me and my wife, every year. Typically pay low to mid $3000s for P fares. So let's say, conservatively, $2500 of ticket price that's eligible for discount. 25% x $2500 x 2 tickets = $1250, which is >2x the value of a $500 eMCO.

A ticket paid for in part with eMCO may not be eligible for credit card insurance, which is a drawback, whereas discount codes are fine.

The Amex promos never seem to work out for me, because either the travel window or booking window doesn't fit with what I need.
canadiancow and eigenvector like this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by Plumber

No. I told him to let maintenance know. I just got the shrug 🤷.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 2:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Adam Smith

I wasn't offered any choice, just straight up given the eMCO.

I had heard from a reliable source at AC that the compensation was initially being billed back to the seat manufacturer. I wonder whether the shift to discount codes/Aeroplan miles means that they've hit the cap on compensation in that contract.
My $500 and 25% were both around 12 months ago.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 4:15 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Are any of AC's Canadian "valued customers" - those who buy business-class tickets - deciding to opt for alternate airlines? For many destinations in Europe and Asia, if beginning in, or connecting via Toronto, Vancouver and to a lesser extent Montreal and Calgary, there exist attractive alternatives. Granted, one might forego AQM/D/S accumulation, but at some point, surely value and comfort supercede loyalty to a product that fails to live up to your expectations. I understand a higher tolerance level amongst those who have been upgraded, fly for leisure or fly for the sake of flying, but if one must hit the ground refreshed n' running on the other side of an ocean, losing the Park Bench Lottery can make a tangible difference to one's performance and/or long-term health if a frequent enough traveler.

In more blunt language: why the heck do you continue to reward Air Canada? Want this fiasco resolved quickly? Fly with somebody else, and send AC a scan of your ticket receipt, or better yet, your status card with another alliance.

The local business crowd aside, I simply don't understand how AC hasn't resolved this issue by now, considering how they're pimping marketing themselves as a preferred carrier between the US and Asia/Europe to the traveler with means and options. The poor sap who flies between NYC and Australia, or from Cincinnati to Hong Kong on a deflated seat is unlikely to purchase a second ticket on Air Canada.
s_yvr and lallied like this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 4:27 pm

For a person that doesn't fly Business Class very often............I'm getting on AC29 tomorrow. So how do I know if the seat is deflated from the get go!
Old Feb 6, 2019, 4:30 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
@CZAMFlyer- Your point is well taken and I have begun flying on other *A partners when they offer a comparable schedule or cost.

Case in point is my next TATL trip where I'm flying TP. Their hard product is not quite as nice as AC's on a good day, but I'm almost 100% guaranteed that my J seat will be comfortable enough for the four or five hours of sleep I want. And I avoid having to scrap with customer service to get some form of comp when AC fails (yet again) to deliver what they promised me. So, less stress before, during and after the flight, which is worth something to me.

Even with more flights like these on other *A carriers, I'll still easily hit SE in 2019. But that's me and, while I have seen zero evidence from AC that they care about these defective seats, it's the only effective way I know to show them the same contempt they seem to show many of us.

But others may not have or may not choose that option. As always, YMMV.
lallied and 24left like this.

Last edited by Bohemian1; Feb 6, 2019 at 4:31 pm Reason: Grammar Grandma!
Old Feb 6, 2019, 4:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Bravada04
For a person that doesn't fly Business Class very often............I'm getting on AC29 tomorrow. So how do I know if the seat is deflated from the get go!

Well, if you sit down and it feel like a hard board, that's a clue.
If you lean back and feel metal rods, that's a clue.
If you board and the parts are inflated but deflate in-flight, you'll notice and feel it.

I've had maintenance onboard prior to my Nov AC 15 departure and that guy kept pressing the firmer-softer button (no pun intended). I told him that is not how to reset the seat. He kept at it so I told the SD he is wasting time, I didn't want him to hold up the flight so we would have to sort it later.

I had 16 hours of lumbar misery on that one. The 2 SDs tried all of the various resets because the rondelle reset didn't even work.

On the recent AC 4, the seat was deflated at departure, I reset with rondelle. It worked for 45 minutes or so, then deflated, then I reset again, last for just under 2 hours and so the game went for the flight.

On AC 101, nothing worked and as I noted, AC 101 and AC 4 were both fin 849 and I was not in the same seat, plus others on 101 also had deflates.

On AC 16 from HKG, nothing worked.

And as per suggestions of others on this forum in both public and private messages to me, it seems I fly AC too often and am thus on the losing end of the AC Deflated-Seat-Lottery.

I will have to decide whether I cancel upcoming trips, or take them but book nothing after that until AC decides to take this issue seriously in both the repair & replace department as well as not being so cheap in the compensation department.

More than one SD in the past year made some comment that I had to move seats because the deflated seat posed safety issue. So, how does that work on a full-flight? How does that work when someone paid $5,000 for a ticket and AC's view is "well, we got you there"? And how does it work when the same aircraft turns around to fly back and another pax is in the same seat that one SD decided was not safe on the outbound?
Bohemian1 and D404 like this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 4:45 pm

Maybe, we can be more diligent to post which seats on the form here so we know which ones to stay away from (Or specifically choose if you need compensation).
Jumper Jack likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.