Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Argonaut1000
Click here to go to a picture of the White Compensation Form and its stub

View Deflated Seat History Here (Database for submitted occurrences)
Enter New Deflated Seat Occurrence Here (Submit one if you have experienced deflated seat and it will show up in the database above)
----
From post #49 in this thread, here's one potential way to (re)inflate an AC seat:
  • Go the home screen "Your Seat". (find this on the seat side panel; not the main video screen)
    • Hold the top left hand corner "Air Canada" (with AC logo) for 3 seconds. Updated (Apr 9 18): may need to hold for as long as 45 seconds for key pad to appear
      • Dial pad shows up - hit 3-2-1.
        • Press "Reset Lumbar Support"
Note that this method has not met 100% success so YMMV.
A better method is for a crew member to use the reset switch under the seat, on the aisle side.

Compensation offers (green/white sheet completed)
40K AE- Apr 18 (50% back of the J class one way redemption)
2018 Jun - $500 coupon
2018 Sep $1,000 eCoupon or 40K AP (P fare TPAC)
2018 Sep $500 eCoupon (P fare TPAC) (no change on protest- update - 6 months later the $150 was increased to $500 - admitted they had made an error)

Compensation offers (no green/white sheet completed)
100K - May 5 (C$150 eCoupon; was moved to a functioning seat after meal service)
2017 Sept - 8,000 AE miles - reported via complaint web page after realizing it was a faulty seat, not standard discomfort; Asked for return of eUps but they declined.
2017 Nov & 2018 Feb - $500 coupons both times (second time on protest that $500 had been offered the previous time)
2018 Sep. $250 coupon (on a paid J TATL).
2018 Nov - $500 eCoupon (J TATL)

Standard eCoupon compensation offers (no haggling; following a recurring pattern)
~10+ hours: $1000
Long TPAC (TPE-YVR)

~6 to ~10 hours: $500
Short TPAC (NRT-YVR)
TATL
South America: YYZ-GRU

less than ~6 hours: 300
TCON

Have a Service Director (SD) That Is Giving You the Case of the Shrugs? Like the real life version of this ASCII emoji -> ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ?

No success with the SD and/or crew rectifying your deflated seat and you can't be/aren't accommodated to another J seat? If you asked for a compensation form and the SD says they have no idea what you are talking about, you can use the below picture of the stub portion to help freshen their memory (better than nothing)...

Please note that for the longest time, the "Green Compensation Form" version was used, and there have been recent reports of the "White Compensation Form" replacing the Green version. Reports here have indicated that the two forms are virtually identical except for the colour.
There is now an even newer White Form which explicitly lists "deflated seat" and "deflated seat and fixed", among many other items.

Here is a snapshot of the NEWEST full form (as of August 2019), courtesy of lallied

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31421855-post2093.html
Originally Posted by lallied
Clearly jinxed myself. New form in case hasnt been posted before.

Oops, see it has been. I just didn’t look far enough down ☹️

This is only the stub portion, courtesy of lallied

Originally Posted by lallied

There’s a main section which the SD fills in and detachable section you get to keep. Each has a reference number. It looks like the green one to me except it’s white.

Example

Mattress pads purchased and listed in this thread

Print Wikipost

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2018, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by krayZpaving
Initially got no response to my email back. After a week, asked the Concierge to escalate. Got a $500 coupon a few days later.
I guess I should've complained about my deflated seats... especially on the TPACs.
But I was fearing the self-righteous ones in this forum would scold me for complaining about, you know, what they deem as "small things".
Old Feb 19, 2018, 9:53 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by krayZpaving
Initially got no response to my email back. After a week, asked the Concierge to escalate. Got a $500 coupon a few days later.
One could argue with the recent price increases, it might be a better deal if u fly TPAC or TATL J
Old Feb 19, 2018, 9:53 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by yyznomad
I guess I should've complained about my deflated seats... especially on the TPACs.
But I was fearing the self-righteous ones in this forum would scold me for complaining about, you know, what they deem as "small things".
You fear the finger wagging from online trolls?
Sad!
Old Feb 19, 2018, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
You fear the finger wagging from online trolls?
Sad!
I know. The war of attrition by the trolls works sometimes.

As for your TATL/TPAC comment, are you suggesting that the compensation could even be higher - assuming that it is a percentage of the ticket/base fare cost?
Old Feb 19, 2018, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad
As for your TATL/TPAC comment, are you suggesting that the compensation could even be higher - assuming that it is a percentage of the ticket/base fare cost?
Prob could be for a business traveler I imagine
Old Feb 19, 2018, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, what about full J prices from since the Dream Cabin was rolled out?
Old Feb 19, 2018, 10:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I got a 25% off coupon and a $500 voucher for my issues.

So if the round-trip base fare is over $2000, the 25% is worth more.

And that is NOT a high round-trip J fare.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 11:19 pm

Programs: *$ Green
So I finally experienced this.

Usually, I never play with my settings, but this time I did.

It actually deflated when I moved my seat from lay flat to partial, it was a sudden deflation no doubt about it.

After I tried to reinflate, nothing worked.

So I played around, and got it to reinflate. Turns out that the lombar support completely retracted and moved away.

Once I moved the support back out, I could fully feel the seat inflate/deflate once again.

Might be fluke, but thought I'd share since most would probably care more about sleep than a $500 voucher.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
So I finally experienced this.

Usually, I never play with my settings, but this time I did.

It actually deflated when I moved my seat from lay flat to partial, it was a sudden deflation no doubt about it.

After I tried to reinflate, nothing worked.

So I played around, and got it to reinflate. Turns out that the lombar support completely retracted and moved away.

Once I moved the support back out, I could fully feel the seat inflate/deflate once again.

Might be fluke, but thought I'd share since most would probably care more about sleep than a $500 voucher.
so sugoi

Did you let the SD know at least?

so egu
Old Feb 20, 2018, 12:14 am

Programs: *$ Green
I didn't egu my egu. I fix my egu. How dare I.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
I didn't egu my egu. I fix my egu. How dare I.
If I'm not comatose from my food baby, I'll try to let the SD know so at least they can put it in the log for maintenance to fix my isu, but not egu.

How quickly did yours re-deflate after getting it re-inflated?
Old Mar 11, 2018, 12:20 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Stats from my recent trip: deflated seats on 2 of my 4 flights

AC 7 Fin 738 Seat 4A deflated twice during the flight. SD had to reset twice, and did so from under the seat.

Upon deplaning, two guys seats in 2A and 2D complained to each other that their seats were "broken" I asked what they meant, they said the seats were hard. I asked why they did not inform the crew. No reply.

AC 118 Fin 749 Seat 3D (delivered May 2016 ! )

Seat was deflated upon boarding. Inbound aircraft came from PEK.
I advised the SD. She attempted a reset from under 3G. It inflated. Then it deflated again before I even sat down.
She then called maintenance and he boarded and reset it. I told him that this is absurd and commented on the age of the fin. I won't post what he said.

Just after aircraft departed and we were in climb, seat deflated again.
After seatbelt sign turned off, SD attempted another reset. Meanwhile, I had extra blanket and pillow and it was 3hr 47min flight so whatever.

SD comes over and says I have to move seats and stated that the reason is, if the seat is flat, then the inflatable mechanism on the seat belt won't work.
Is this true?

She moves me to another seat and bumps that pax to the back. I have no idea if he was a non-rev or an upgrade, but I felt bad.
She tells me that if there were no other seats in J, or if there were no other pax who could be moved back, then I would have to be moved back.

I told the SD that since the seat was flat at boarding, then it may have been flat on inbound. Was it in the logbook? Did maintenance know? If it was "broken" then why was it not blocked from use?

I will assume that AC will have to compensate someone who paid $$$$$ on a long-haul TPAC if they are removed from the seat in J that they paid for.
I have no idea if everyone who gets a deflated seat is reporting it to crew for this reason.

I am not the only one who thinks there is a design or function flaw affecting many seats now and on new aircraft!

I flew AA's brand new B789 with the identical pods but completely different seats. No deflating and a fantastic sleep as well.

AC needs to get them tested, repaired or replaced because forcing people out of their seats when there is nowhere to go at 37,000 ft, is not an option.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by 24left

SD comes over and says I have to move seats and stated that the reason is, if the seat is flat, then the inflatable mechanism on the seat belt won't work.
Is this true?
This.

There is a safety flaw, then?

Any thoughts on where a safety related complaint can be filed with Transport Canada? That might get some action on this.

Seriously. Passengers won't get their attention, but maybe regulatory authorities would.

Also, is there any online documentation from the seat manufacturer that would document this?
Old Mar 11, 2018, 7:43 am

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by 24left
Upon deplaning, two guys seats in 2A and 2D complained to each other that their seats were "broken" I asked what they meant, they said the seats were hard. I asked why they did not inform the crew. No reply.
When it happened to me, it was so painful that I could not sleep at all -- whatever side of my body was on the "mattress" would go numb from body pressure, and I had to keep rolling over. I did not inform the crew because I thought it was meant to be that way -- I don't mean that I thought it was intended to be uncomfortable, but rather that the seat's intended design was unavoidably uncomfortable to me. I had not experienced those seats before, so had no basis for comparison. Only after reading the forum did I realize it was a syndrome. (I got a meaningless quantity of redeemable miles as a compensation, as a result of my delayed complaint, rather than greater compensation for timely complaint.) That could be the reason your fellow travellers did not report.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 11:16 am

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
We're coming up on 5 months since the first post to this thread, and AC has not yet rectified the issue.

I know that an outside supplier is involved, and do not know the semantics of the conversations (if any) between the two companies, but surely their has to be solution to what appears (from my end of the internet) to be a simple problem ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.