Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2014, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
See new thread for zoned boarding from 2020 onwards.
Print Wikipost

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2017, 11:34 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Love the phrase pickles out.

Has anyone whom has experienced the Zone 5 preferred seat tried to get someone at the airport to fix it? While I'm not confident it'll be met with more than a comment about how that's not how it works...I am curious. Especially as a future non Elite preferred seat buyer.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 12:00 pm
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by jc94
On the rare occasion I fly Y with minimal carry on I tend to board at the time the FAs are saying last call to spend minimum possible time on board.

But that's just me.

@ FRA. called zone 1 and 2 together. I asked why they were not asking for zone 1 alone. They replied because the flight was late departing. I replied , what difference does that make , and boarded.
And off course gate lice jamming up the entire area.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by RZR
@ FRA. called zone 1 and 2 together. I asked why they were not asking for zone 1 alone. They replied because the flight was late departing. I replied , what difference does that make , and boarded.
And off course gate lice jamming up the entire area.
Makes no difference whatsoever. Zone boarding is Zone boarding.

If they couldn't be bothered to even do it right, they should just call all zones all at once and make it like the good old days.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 5:42 pm

Love the phrase pickles out.

Has anyone whom has experienced the Zone 5 preferred seat tried to get someone at the airport to fix it? While I'm not confident it'll be met with more than a comment about how that's not how it works...I am curious. Especially as a future non Elite preferred seat buyer.
I just checked into YYC to YYZ a few minutes ago and purchased preferred seats for my wife and I in row 12. We got Zone 5. I will try to see if they will fix it.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by Kronite
I just checked into YYC to YYZ a few minutes ago and purchased preferred seats for my wife and I in row 12. We got Zone 5. I will try to see if they will fix it.
Please do. If you have access to a printer may I suggest taking a print out of the policy too. I'd be interested to know if they'll do it without this as well

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/at-the-airport/boarding-by-zone.html
Old Jun 14, 2017, 11:04 pm

Programs: United Gold *G, Nexus/GE, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
On Monday evening I flew on a UA award SFO-YVR-YUL. I was upgraded (CPU) on the UA segment SFO-YVR. For the YVR-YUL segment on AC in Y, I bought a preferred seat in row 18 (A320) and ended up with a Zone 2 boarding pass. It was a pleasant surprise since I only expected to get Zone 3 at best. Perhaps it was a mistake? I only have *S status at best.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by doggz
On Monday evening I flew on a UA award SFO-YVR-YUL. I was upgraded (CPU) on the UA segment SFO-YVR. For the YVR-YUL segment on AC in Y, I bought a preferred seat in row 18 (A320) and ended up with a Zone 2 boarding pass. It was a pleasant surprise since I only expected to get Zone 3 at best. Perhaps it was a mistake? I only have *S status at best.
Sounds like an IT error. Unless you have AC Elite or *G status you should be Zone 3. Unless AC has started some kind of system like UA apparently has where E35k and *S gets priority services. At least I heard UA were unofficially doing it, I've only flown UA F as an E35

Edit - Lat also gets Z2 but I believe then preferred seats are free.

Last edited by jc94; Jun 15, 2017 at 6:06 am
Old Jun 15, 2017, 11:08 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Sounds like an IT error. Unless you have AC Elite or *G status you should be Zone 3. Unless AC has started some kind of system like UA apparently has where E35k and *S gets priority services. At least I heard UA were unofficially doing it, I've only flown UA F as an E35

UA officially gives priority services to *S. AC doesn't, but maybe it could see you got upgraded on the first segment and thus automatically switched you to priority boarding on all segments.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 11:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by zeer0
UA officially gives priority services to *S. AC doesn't, but maybe it could see you got upgraded on the first segment and thus automatically switched you to priority boarding on all segments.
You're assuming competently implemented logic, which I assure you, isn't there.

My counter example would be last summer, doing EYW with a P25K on my PNR.

YYC-YWG, upgraded, we're both zone 1.
YWG-YXE, single-cabin, I'm zone 1 (SE), and he's zone 4 (even though he's on the same PNR).

If you book YYZ-YVR-YYJ in J and are not SE, YVR-YYJ is not going to be zone 1.

Zone numbers are calculated segment by segment. And they're calculated poorly

Though as SE, I don't think I've ever not been zone 1, but I've seen plenty of other crap for non-SEs.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 12:54 am

Programs: United Gold *G, Nexus/GE, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold

Yeah, I remember looking up my AC PNR on the "My Bookings" section and it thought I booked a Latitude fare even though it was just a UA Economy X class award.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 2:29 pm

Programs: AC Altitude E35K
Is there a resource that indicates which rows on a particular aircraft corresponds to Zones 3, 4, and 5? Or is the economy cabin always divided evenly amongst the three zones?
Old Jun 19, 2017, 2:26 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Zone 1 and 2 called together

At YYZ and just boarded. Priority boarding announcement that they will board by zones. Then the automated zone 1 announcement. Before boarding even begins, 3 secs later zone 2 announcement. The second GA told zone 2 that they would have to wait but they pointed out that the announcement for zone 2 was made.
I changed to this flight due to IRROPs and was helped by a concierge on the phone. Went to SE transborder desk to check for better seat and was told that they charge for preferred seats. Hello? I am at the SE desk ? Reminded him of the policy and received a grunt in return.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 2:41 pm

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by vernonc
At YYZ and just boarded. Priority boarding announcement that they will board by zones. Then the automated zone 1 announcement. Before boarding even begins, 3 secs later zone 2 announcement. The second GA told zone 2 that they would have to wait but they pointed out that the announcement for zone 2 was made.
I changed to this flight due to IRROPs and was helped by a concierge on the phone. Went to SE transborder desk to check for better seat and was told that they charge for preferred seats. Hello? I am at the SE desk ? Reminded him of the policy and received a grunt in return.
The priority boarding is really a myth. It has been rolled out for almost 3 years now, yet it is implemented poorly even at large station. I mean, come on, what's so complicated to board people in group 1, 2, 3, 4, 5? I would really like to hear from GAs about their rationals for not boarding in the right order.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 3:34 pm

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by therightway86
Is there a resource that indicates which rows on a particular aircraft corresponds to Zones 3, 4, and 5? Or is the economy cabin always divided evenly amongst the three zones?
I haven't found a definitive answer but it generally appears to be evenly divided. So if you don't have priority boarding, try to get the front row of the back third. That should give you zone 3 and allow you to board before the zone 4 group in case you need to put your bag in the overhead bin a row or two ahead of you.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 9:13 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by songsc
The priority boarding is really a myth. It has been rolled out for almost 3 years now, yet it is implemented poorly even at large station. I mean, come on, what's so complicated to board people in group 1, 2, 3, 4, 5? I would really like to hear from GAs about their rationals for not boarding in the right order.
I agree. The GAs make the announcements and hide behind the counter. Once they start boarding they board whoever shows up rather then send them back. If they start sending people back this will fix this quickly. The signs also have zones together i.e. 1 and 2, 3-4-5. Unless you start asking everyone in line what their zones are, no way to know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.