Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2014, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
See new thread for zoned boarding from 2020 onwards.
Print Wikipost

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2017, 5:30 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by jc94
Z*. Which they now often announce as being allowed to board last.
Wait, what?
Is this a new development? Instead of pre boarding, post-boarding?
If they post-board disabilities, I'm going on a twitter rampage until they ensure I get my status zone at the latest.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 5:37 pm

Programs: AC*A
Originally Posted by pokee
Good to know that 19A is an okay seat - and I've also read the good news on this thread that YVR has the individual zone lines now.

Does anyone know if my boarding pass will print Zone 3, simply because my seat is a preferred seat? OR will it likely print Zone 5, either because i didn't pay for the preferred seat, or because I'm flying on an award?
As a data point, back when the app was glitchy and let me select Preferred Seats for free I was always placed in Zone 5. Especially in 19A on the 767.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 6:13 pm

I was in the back on a flight today. In economy.

It's kind of interesting, if not Third-worldish back there. Who would have thought?

In any event, it got me thinking. Now that they have implemented, mostly, Zone 1 respect so that we SE's can board without having to deal with the plebe's, they should also implement a Reverse-Zone-1, when any of SE's are in the back.

All else in the back should have to wait in their seats, until we can retrieve our luggage from the bins and depart.

I look forward to discussion.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 6:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
....I look forward to discussion.
I look forward to the YouTube video for AC Reverse-Zone-1
Old Jul 26, 2017, 6:41 pm

Programs: air miles
New marketing campaign. Welcome to flying zone infinity!
Old Jul 27, 2017, 12:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Orcair
As a data point, back when the app was glitchy and let me select Preferred Seats for free I was always placed in Zone 5. Especially in 19A on the 767.
Preferred seats and zone 3 is a relatively recent development, so if this was "way back", then I'm not surprised.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 5:17 am

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Delta Medallion
At CDG yesterday, we had to use the bus to get to the plane in the parking lot (I'm guessing it was lunch for the folks who move tow the planes....empty gates as well grrrr). I figured Z1 & 2 on a bus and the rest after. Nope, they were just letting who ever go to the gate line first on the bus. I was third last off the first bus (next to 3 people in Z5) and walked up the stairs to see only 3 others in J, everyone else in the back. Yeah, I know, first world problems.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 5:58 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by flyquiet
Wait, what?
Is this a new development? Instead of pre boarding, post-boarding?
If they post-board disabilities, I'm going on a twitter rampage until they ensure I get my status zone at the latest.
"If your BP does not show a Zone or has a star you may board after all other Zones"

Happened a couple of times, YYZ most likely. I don't listen that closely or fly that often as to garner if it's regular though. I do remember it very clearly though.

I forgot some people were given it for a reason other than ACs inept IT. But it's a fair point that AC staff should be getting this right.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 9:06 am

Programs: AC*A
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Preferred seats and zone 3 is a relatively recent development, so if this was "way back", then I'm not surprised.
This was last year, but I had booked the flights/selected seats in 2015, so maybe?
Old Jul 27, 2017, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by FlyingFelix
At CDG yesterday, we had to use the bus to get to the plane in the parking lot (I'm guessing it was lunch for the folks who move tow the planes....empty gates as well grrrr). I figured Z1 & 2 on a bus and the rest after. Nope, they were just letting who ever go to the gate line first on the bus. I was third last off the first bus (next to 3 people in Z5) and walked up the stairs to see only 3 others in J, everyone else in the back. Yeah, I know, first world problems.
We are all collectively here to talk shop, not first world problems, so your post is most welcomed.

The only times I've experienced apron boarding at CDG is when the AC gate(s) are occupied, but those are probably one offs since I'm a FOTSG.

As for the European Cobus 3000 way of life, if you've flown other carriers in Europe you will basically experience the same.

The only time I've experienced AC Zone 1 only Cobus 3000 boarding was at... IST of all places!
Old Jul 27, 2017, 9:43 am

Programs: TK *G
When remote gate is used boarding depends more on the airport rather than the airline from my FOTSG experience. Usually Asian airports use a seperate bus for J pax. PVG, HKG are the ones I remember.

BTW are remote gate ever used in YYZ and YVR?
Old Jul 27, 2017, 9:46 am

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by jc94
"If your BP does not show a Zone or has a star you may board after all other Zones"

Happened a couple of times, YYZ most likely. I don't listen that closely or fly that often as to garner if it's regular though. I do remember it very clearly though.

I forgot some people were given it for a reason other than ACs inept IT. But it's a fair point that AC staff should be getting this right.
Ha, well if they are trying to stop deaf people pre boarding, they have to have a better way than a PA announcement. Typically, when I approach the GA and tell them I am deaf and I am present (which a CTA ruling told me I must always do each and every time with each and every AC employee if I expect AC to remember because they cannot be relied upon to remember from the time I told them at check-in, let alone booking), they point to a spot and tell me to sit there like a good dog (there is not usually a chair where they are pointing) and then when the porters roll up the wheelchairs, they beckon me. But sometimes they start to board the Z1 and 2 first (like ex HKG) and dammit if they board Z2 before wheelchairs/disabilities, I want to be in Z2.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by songsc
When remote gate is used boarding depends more on the airport rather than the airline from my FOTSG experience. Usually Asian airports use a seperate bus for J pax. PVG, HKG are the ones I remember.

BTW are remote gate ever used in YYZ and YVR?
Regarding AC at YYZ, by "remote gate" if you mean apron, then I have never experienced that ever. If by "remote gate" you mean the IFT, then yes I have experienced that for both international and domestic flights... but this all occurred before T1 hammerhead was open and fully functional (only domestic was open).
Old Jul 27, 2017, 9:59 am

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Regarding AC at YYZ, by "remote gate" if you mean apron, then I have never experienced that ever. If by "remote gate" you mean the IFT, then yes I have experienced that for both international and domestic flights... but this all occurred before T1 hammerhead was open and fully functional (only domestic was open).
I heard some charters also use IFT.

I am wondering if AC ever use remote gates at their home airports, how do they board by zone.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by songsc
I heard some charters also use IFT.

I am wondering if AC ever use remote gates at their home airports, how do they board by zone.
The YYZ IFT is certainly still in use, but I was strictly talking my limited experiences with AC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.