Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2014, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
See new thread for zoned boarding from 2020 onwards.
Print Wikipost

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2017, 7:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by canadiancow
They'd all stand in the zone 1 line then
I've flown on Delta a few times and I've first hand seen Delta gate agents say something along the lines of "If you board when you're not supposed to, I'll ensure you board last".

While I am not a fan of a rude agent, a policy like that would be fantastic.

The alternative is for Air Canada to introduce a zone called...You know what, I'll stop while I am ahead before I violate any forum rules here.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 7:27 pm

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Air Canada made it very clear that Zone boarding was not meant to necessarily expedite or improve the efficiencies in boarding. It was meant to provide a better boarding experience for its J passengers and Super Elites. You will see this in the early posts of this thread.
I don't think my experience got any better as a J pax. If AC really enforce that "everyone else remain seated", which AC did from time to time, the gate area would be navigable. Nowadays at YYZ D24 for example, I don't see 5 lines, I see a mass of people. The only way I can board in Zone 1 is when GA asks "any Zone 1?" I yell "me".

What zone boarding really help IMO, is Zone 2. Back in the days there was nothing on the BP indicating the pax was on a Latitude fare. I had been turned back multiple times when flying in PY/Latitude because GA said "it's only for business class". I had to bring out my itinerary and point out priority boarding. Nowadays I can simply point out the Zone 2.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 7:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I'm just going to throw it out there again that I <3 SFO.

"THIS IS ONLY ZONE 1! SUPER ELITES, VIPS, AND BUSINESS CLASS ONLY. EVERYONE ELSE STOP CROWDING THE BOARDING LANE!"

I wanted to hug her.
longtimeflyin likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by songsc
I don't think my experience got any better as a J pax. If AC really enforce that "everyone else remain seated", which AC did from time to time, the gate area would be navigable. Nowadays at YYZ D24 for example, I don't see 5 lines, I see a mass of people. The only way I can board in Zone 1 is when GA asks "any Zone 1?" I yell "me".

What zone boarding really help IMO, is Zone 2. Back in the days there was nothing on the BP indicating the pax was on a Latitude fare. I had been turned back multiple times when flying in PY/Latitude because GA said "it's only for business class". I had to bring out my itinerary and point out priority boarding. Nowadays I can simply point out the Zone 2.
For me, I have found a much better boarding experience overall with zoned boarding, and being able to use the Zone 1 lane at anytime during the process. In the past, if I arrived anytime after priority/preboarding was called and general boarding had commenced, I'd either have to be a douche and assert myself to the GA to cut in, or wait in line with everyone else. Although zone boarding still has its fails across the network, I would rather have Zone boarding than what existed a decade ago.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 10:30 am

Programs: AC Altitude SE100K, HH Diamond
Somewhat related to this...

Is there any policy or generally accepted practice which allows a NON STATUS passenger (e.g. spouse) to priority board with a status passenger?

Thanks
Old Sep 18, 2017, 10:37 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Yes, your spouse is entitled to board with you.

Last edited by YEG_SE4Life; Sep 18, 2017 at 10:42 am
Old Sep 18, 2017, 10:37 am

Programs: Air Canada - Aeroplan Black, AC - E50K, NEXUS/GE
From the Air Canada Altitude Site:

"Altitude Super Elite 100K, Elite 75K, 50K, 35K or Star Alliance members may invite immediate family members (including spouse, common-law, same sex partner and dependent children) and one travel companion to board with them even if not travelling on the same reservation."
Old Sep 18, 2017, 10:38 am
alc

Originally Posted by AleEat

Is there any policy or generally accepted practice which allows a NON STATUS passenger (e.g. spouse) to priority board with a status passenger?

Thanks
I believed the "official" rule is to board with the zone # as indicated on the BP. So, if the non-status PAX is not on the same PNR as the status PAX, they will not get Zone 1 or 2. All PAX on the same PNR get the same Zone #, based on the highest status PAX.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 10:42 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by AleEat

Thanks
Not sure if it's policy but if you are on the same flight with 1-2 people (or maybe 1 spouse and kids) I've seen it happen and never had an issue. If I fly Z2 with a friend / colleague who doesn't have status I would probably invite him to join me. I've not tried it tho, my flights with another since E35k have been non-AC.

If you are a SE with a dozen people who can be sure they'll be a FT post on it and I would personally be on the position that that is unreasonable. Personally.

Last edited by jc94; Sep 18, 2017 at 10:44 am Reason: *Edit - Moved post so editing to just relevant reply.*
Old Sep 18, 2017, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by alc
All PAX on the same PNR get the same Zone #, based on the highest status PAX.
That is SUPPOSED to be true, but I had a few EYW flights last year where I was 1 and my companion was 4, and we were on the same PNR.

If you OLCI and check the boxes for both passengers, it seems to work. If you check in with an agent, and they do it a certain way, it works. If they do it the other way, it does not.

It doesn't seem to look at everyone on the PNR, only those who are being checked in simultaneously.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 1:03 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by canadiancow
That is SUPPOSED to be true, but I had a few EYW flights last year where I was 1 and my companion was 4, and we were on the same PNR.

If you OLCI and check the boxes for both passengers, it seems to work. If you check in with an agent, and they do it a certain way, it works. If they do it the other way, it does not.

It doesn't seem to look at everyone on the PNR, only those who are being checked in simultaneously.
So AC is being inconsistent.

Just like Z3 boarding for preferred seating, and people randomly getting Z1 or Z2 without status. Fortunately, for this one as long as one person has Z1 you should be fine to board first.

If the GA so mandates it of course.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 1:05 pm

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
I always get zone 2 on award travel (because of my TD Visa) but it's hit or miss whether someone traveling with me also gets zone 2 even when they are booked together and OLCI together. However, I always ask if they can tag along and the GAs never seem to care.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 2:06 pm

AC 566 YVR-SFO. Automated announcement for zone 1 and 2.

Then they weren't even ready, so we're all standing around.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 9:40 am

Flying LAX-YUL-ATH with paid preferred seats on the YUL-ATH leg and OLCI-generated boarding passes correctly show zone 3. We were given that on both segments actually.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by jc94
Yes I was consistently Zone 5 in almost single AC Y flight I took in 2016. I made Z4 for just two segments. It was at this point I started to doubt the existence of Z3 for anyone beyond the back row.

Im assuming you weren't on a Lat fare for that Z2?
It is my first year with P25k and I wasn't expecting any priority boarding. Oddly enough, I have had zone 2 for every paid economy (never latitude) flight this year. I thought it was an 'unadvertised' perk (if that is possible with AC). I certainly wasn't going to say anything as it is/was to my advantage. I am curious to see if I will now get zone 3.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.