Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2014, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
See new thread for zoned boarding from 2020 onwards.
Print Wikipost

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2017, 1:10 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM
BOS is a mess. Uncaring and surly staff.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Latitude fare? Credit Card?
I paid for the ticket with points - it's a market fare, does that make a difference?

Do you think it's a fluke or should I get Z2 on my return flights as well?
Old Aug 30, 2017, 2:25 pm

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Did you pay for it with a TD or CIBC Aeroplan Visa? If so, you should get it on the return flight as well. This is the best perk of those cards.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 7:59 am
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Cozmo456
BOS is a mess. Uncaring and surly staff.
AMS is a Nightmare for boarding. They did a horrible job a few days ago.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 1:00 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Coming home from LAS a couple weeks ago. Waiting to board in the Zone 1/2 line (only one line), and noticed a lady hovering off to the side of the agent checking BPs, near the front of the Zone 3/4/5 line. She was in front of the 3/4/5 line, but a step past the 'Line up here' sign, so I wasn't she if she was actually in the line or was maybe a zone 1/2 pulled out to the side for some reason.

As I'm almost to the front of the line, her 2 companions show up, and she heads right to the agent, cutting in front of the zone 1/2 line and tries to board. The agent says, you're zone 3 (or 5 couldn't hear) you need to go back and wait in the line you were in. She grumbled, but went back to the front of the zone 3/4/5 line. It was good to see them refuse to board her and her friends.

What I don't understand at all is what the lady thought was going on here, did she really think the whole line behind her was just waiting patiently for her friends to show up before they attempted to board? Or did she really think they wouldn't notice that she stepped directly from the zone 3/4/5 line to the agent while boarding zone 1/2. It was bizarre...
Old Sep 6, 2017, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by padawanflyer
Coming home from LAS a couple weeks ago. Waiting to board in the Zone 1/2 line (only one line), and noticed a lady hovering off to the side of the agent checking BPs, near the front of the Zone 3/4/5 line. She was in front of the 3/4/5 line, but a step past the 'Line up here' sign, so I wasn't she if she was actually in the line or was maybe a zone 1/2 pulled out to the side for some reason.

As I'm almost to the front of the line, her 2 companions show up, and she heads right to the agent, cutting in front of the zone 1/2 line and tries to board. The agent says, you're zone 3 (or 5 couldn't hear) you need to go back and wait in the line you were in. She grumbled, but went back to the front of the zone 3/4/5 line. It was good to see them refuse to board her and her friends.

What I don't understand at all is what the lady thought was going on here, did she really think the whole line behind her was just waiting patiently for her friends to show up before they attempted to board? Or did she really think they wouldn't notice that she stepped directly from the zone 3/4/5 line to the agent while boarding zone 1/2. It was bizarre...
Not much point figuring these things out. i see it often and just have trust that the GA will allow them to do the quasi walk-of-shame. i see most people fiend ignorance, and a majority of the time that tactic fails.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Zero boarding signs... domestic mainline

When was the last time you boarded for a domestic mainline flight that boards on schedule and there were no Zone signs or stanchions in place? And yet they still called boarding by Zone?
Old Sep 14, 2017, 12:46 pm

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
EWR today. Zone 1 called. Work my way through the Z2 in the way. Before I get to the the agent, Z1&Z2 called. I comment to the GA that you didn't give enough time for the Z1 to get through the line. She replys: "That's OK" like its no big deal that I am now boarding with Z2 in front of me. I reply: "Not Really"

Fail. Fail. Fail.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 172pilot
EWR today. Zone 1 called. Work my way through the Z2 in the way. Before I get to the the agent, Z1&Z2 called. I comment to the GA that you didn't give enough time for the Z1 to get through the line. She replys: "That's OK" like its no big deal that I am now boarding with Z2 in front of me. I reply: "Not Really"

Fail. Fail. Fail.
Talk about defeating the purpose.

Looks like there are ongoing fails with Zone boarding after how many years.

Just to add, I boarded at YUL for a domestic widebody transcon flight and there were zero signs or stanchions in place when they called zone 1. Regardless of the announcement everyone and their kitchen sink swarmed the GAs and many had to be turned away.

More fails to come.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 3:06 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
ORD is always interesting due to the lack of space by the gates (especially E2)

Last few times, people line up in Zone 1&2

Then they call Zone 1, so everyone in Zone 2 moves towards the windows, lets zone 1 pass and continues.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 4:57 pm

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by lcohen999

Then they call Zone 1, so everyone in Zone 2 moves towards the windows, lets zone 1 pass and continues.
That's not bad. At least people in Zone 2 don't try to board with Zone 1.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 5:11 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by lcohen999

This also happens at LGA though spotty.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 12:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by songsc
That's not bad. At least people in Zone 2 don't try to board with Zone 1.
I'm almost certain I'm breaking a rule because I'm almost certain I've posted this before.

But zone 1 YYZ.

Some guy with his +1 and a zone 4 BP is in front of me.

"We're only doing zone 1 right now"
"But I'm always priority!" (as he shows some *G card - we'll call it A3 so you understand how cheap he seemed)
"That's not zone 1"
"But I always board first!"

There are times when I speak up, but I just wanted a drink, so I stayed back, and the GA let him board.

I rolled my eyes.

There needs to be a penalty.

Maybe your zone number gets a ++.
Maybe you lose your SPML.
Maybe you get moved to a middle seat.

But as long as there is no disincentive to attempting to board first, it's going to continue.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 5:37 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I'm almost certain I'm breaking a rule because I'm almost certain I've posted this before.

But zone 1 YYZ.

Some guy with his +1 and a zone 4 BP is in front of me.

"We're only doing zone 1 right now"
"But I'm always priority!" (as he shows some *G card - we'll call it A3 so you understand how cheap he seemed)
"That's not zone 1"
"But I always board first!"

There are times when I speak up, but I just wanted a drink, so I stayed back, and the GA let him board.

I rolled my eyes.

There needs to be a penalty.

Maybe your zone number gets a ++.
Maybe you lose your SPML.
Maybe you get moved to a middle seat.

But as long as there is no disincentive to attempting to board first, it's going to continue.
I can't recall if I've posted my example before but it was a UA *G (1K or GS) DYKWIA who was very unhappy that he only got Z2 boarding. I mean, it was a 175 I think so not exactly known for it's awesome baggage capacity.

If your guy was *G why was he Zone 4?
Old Sep 15, 2017, 6:30 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Perhaps it's time for Air Canada employees to follow the company's own website.

Or, for fun, some of us can show this to the GAs and ask why they are not following the rules.

Boarding by Zone

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...g-by-zone.html

OR now that signs and stanchions have been reported "missing", maybe AC is actually giving up on herding pax and they've opted for the clusterfromage boarding styles of other locations.

Attached Images    

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.