Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2014, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
See new thread for zoned boarding from 2020 onwards.
Print Wikipost

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2015, 9:54 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by vacayseeker
Did a quick search but couldn't come up with the answer.

I redeemed United miles for an AC flight and got zone 2 boarding - but I have no Star Alliance status or credit card (other than Mileage Plus Explorer). Is this just a fluke? Or are award flights assigned zones differently?
Well if you redeemed J, you should have been zone 1. If you redeemed Y, you should not have been in zone 2. The system is buggy sometimes. Or did you redeem a PY ticket?
Old May 28, 2015, 10:18 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by mromalley
Does MCO use AC staff or contract staff?
Does AC employ its own staff in any of the outstations like that? In my experience, even if they wear AC uniforms, they're typically employed by some 3rd party that provides services to AC. Had a very interesting argument with one of those people in LAS once.
Old May 29, 2015, 12:48 am

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Well if you redeemed J, you should have been zone 1. If you redeemed Y, you should not have been in zone 2. The system is buggy sometimes. Or did you redeem a PY ticket?
Redeemed in Y, so I guess it was just a lucky fluke. (Although not sure what PY ticket is?)
Old May 29, 2015, 10:37 am

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by mromalley
Does MCO use AC staff or contract staff?
They use SwissPort in MCO.
Old May 29, 2015, 10:39 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by vacayseeker
Redeemed in Y, so I guess it was just a lucky fluke. (Although not sure what PY ticket is?)
Premium economy
Old May 29, 2015, 5:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
AC 33 at YYZ. I show up at T-23, big line in 3-5, 2 is empty, 1 is empty, but has a wheelchair semi-blocking the entrance.

I walk past the wheelchair into the zone 1 line just as the agent calls zone 4, and proceed to step between the person at the podium and the next person in line. The agent takes my BP, looks at, scans it, and says "Thank you Merci".

Exactly how it should work
Old May 29, 2015, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by canadiancow
AC 33 at YYZ. I show up at T-23, big line in 3-5, 2 is empty, 1 is empty, but has a wheelchair semi-blocking the entrance.

I walk past the wheelchair into the zone 1 line just as the agent calls zone 4, and proceed to step between the person at the podium and the next person in line. The agent takes my BP, looks at, scans it, and says "Thank you Merci".

Exactly how it should work
YYZ is relatively ok at the zone boarding protocol. It's all other stations that seem to get hit in the head with the stupid stick.
Old May 29, 2015, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by jeffypop75
They use SwissPort in MCO.

That may explain the AC MCO nightmare.
Old May 29, 2015, 11:16 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive- Blue, Lifemiles, AA Advantage, VIA Rail Preference, Iberia Plus
I don't think you can. I thought I read on here that the back of the bus is zone 3, and the front of Y is zone 5. Are you saying that you were at the back of the airplane? What zone were you in?

Maybe it was a smaller bird (I don't fly that route usually so I don't know), perhaps they omitted zone 3 as there wasn't enough people and so zone 4 became back of the bus and zone 5 was the front of Y?
I was zone 3, but wish I could see how I could consistently get it. I mean I have no real status, except that I booked it from AC directly and have an aeroplan number, but this was actually my 1st flight this yr and only my 2nd ever flight w/ AC.

So far I have no complaints. I mean I get there and the FA's are nice enough.

I flew on an A320 so not exactly a HUGE plane, but not tiny either and from what I could tell it zone boarding but people seated from the front, back, middle, etc. Didn't seem to be any rhyme or reason, just calling the various zones in order.

There were all 5 zones too for both the flight to YHZ and back. As I was able to hear Zone 4 called as I was waiting on the bridge/ramp on the way to YHZ out YYZ. Zones 4 and 5 seemed VERY big though. The FA's also mentioned numerous times that only "zone x" or "1-x" can board now, etc.

As an aside, I'm usually lucky enough to get into the "zones/boarding" right after people with status/first class tickets regardless of the airline. I guess I'm just lucky!
Old May 30, 2015, 9:30 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Gate 41 AC 101 complete fail. Zone 3-5 and zone 2 signs were facing the wrong way. Unfreaking real.

Had to fix it myself. #fail
Old May 30, 2015, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Gate 41 AC 101 complete fail. Zone 3-5 and zone 2 signs were facing the wrong way. Unfreaking real.

Had to fix it myself. #fail
Let me guess - they were all pointing to the same lane... and then an AC staffer said that was the latest update that they chose to implement, based on rock-paper-scissors best-of-999 games in addition to five coin tosses?
Old May 30, 2015, 9:43 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Let me guess - they were all pointing to the same lane... and then an AC staffer said that was the latest update that they chose to implement, based on rock-paper-scissors best-of-999 games in addition to five coin tosses?
So if you imagine:

Lane 3-5 | Lane 2 | Lane 1

Lane 3-5 faced RIGHT
Lane 2 sign faced RIGHT
Lane 1 sign faced left

So... I had to move lane 1 to face right, at which case about 10 passengers went OHHHHHH, and then everyone reshuffled. I had to fight with the gate agent though to explain they failed miserably because they said that they were right.
Old May 30, 2015, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So if you imagine:

Lane 3-5 | Lane 2 | Lane 1

Lane 3-5 faced RIGHT
Lane 2 sign faced RIGHT
Lane 1 sign faced left

So... I had to move lane 1 to face right, at which case about 10 passengers went OHHHHHH, and then everyone reshuffled. I had to fight with the gate agent though to explain they failed miserably because they said that they were right.
Ok, so I was close. Lane 1 and 2 pointed to the same lane.

This was the same BS thing that happened for AC001 last month when a brand new concierge told me at the gate that it was done on purpose!!! I posted previously here that this is a complete farce if AC spends money to print separate Zone 1 and Zone 2 signs only to have them point to the same lane. Apparently the concierge said that "many people were complaining about being in Zone 2 so it was decided to have them board using the same lane".

I just love the absurdity of all of this.
Old May 30, 2015, 10:32 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
That's absolutely insane. Because then all the Zone 2 pax will just board with Zone 1 and we're back to the ridiculous days of the old "priority" boarding.

AC, if you're going to have Zone 1 boarding, have godd@mned Zone 1 boarding. Have a lane for it and call it separately. It's not rocket science.

People may be complaining today, but they will get used to it. Just stick to the policy and enforce it consistently and eventually the griping from the Zone 2s will go away.
Old May 30, 2015, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by adam.smith
That's absolutely insane. Because then all the Zone 2 pax will just board with Zone 1 and we're back to the ridiculous days of the old "priority" boarding.

AC, if you're going to have Zone 1 boarding, have godd@mned Zone 1 boarding. Have a lane for it and call it separately. It's not rocket science.

People may be complaining today, but they will get used to it. Just stick to the policy and enforce it consistently and eventually the griping from the Zone 2s will go away.
It is apparent that GA staff either are unable to, or unwilling to conform to the simple protocol.

Although I commend AC for trying, this whole zoned boarding thing is failing miserably I hate to say.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.