Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2014, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
See new thread for zoned boarding from 2020 onwards.
Print Wikipost

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2015, 1:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Roll eyes from me about 17 people slowing you down on a smaller prop. Is it that important when there's only a few in zone 2. We are talking about 2-5? people on a Dash 8 and less so on a B1900D. Not 17.
I've had Dash 8 flights with a lot more than 5 people eligible for priority boarding.

Heck, I've had BEH flights with more than 5 people eligible for priority boarding.

That was the whole point of putting SE in zone 1. I don't need anything special on two cabin aircraft because I'm in J. It's the single cabin aircraft where I really want to board separately, where bin space is a problem.

But I still don't want to stand in the jet bridge or on the tarmac waiting for others to sit down.
Old May 15, 2015, 1:17 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I've had Dash 8 flights with a lot more than 5 people eligible for priority boarding.

Heck, I've had BEH flights with more than 5 people eligible for priority boarding.

That was the whole point of putting SE in zone 1. I don't need anything special on two cabin aircraft because I'm in J. It's the single cabin aircraft where I really want to board separately, where bin space is a problem.

But I still don't want to stand in the jet bridge or on the tarmac waiting for others to sit down.
Ok. Perhaps I've just had a different experience but you mention bin space as a factor. Those bins are tiny though. Most people skycheck (I know I do). Do you have a bin space issue for whatever goes up top on those aircraft if zone 1/2 board together? I mean prior to elite status I didn't have an issue either...
Old May 15, 2015, 1:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Yes, I've had issues on a CRJ when I was not first on the aircraft.

Please stop telling me I won't have issues.
Old May 15, 2015, 1:37 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Yes, I've had issues on a CRJ when I was not first on the aircraft.

Please stop telling me I won't have issues.
As I mentioned, I was referring to aircraft with skycheck. Just surprised, that's all. I did not say you wouldn't have issues.
Old May 15, 2015, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC

+1

AC - just stick with the program, ok? capiche?!
Old May 15, 2015, 2:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by yyznomad
AC - just stick with the program, ok? capiche?!

Rinse. Repeat.

Originally Posted by 24left
The details of the order to be followed are clearly listed on AC's site as noted by the links in the Wiki above.

Either they are followed - as other FTers have posted here and as I have seen with specific departures from YYZ and YVR, usually LAX and most especially, NRT - there still seems to be a fair number of AC stations where either the GAs are either not following the defined order, or making it up as they go along.

It's a mystery. This is not new, it was announced November 2014, and yet here we are.
Old May 15, 2015, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Rinse. Repeat.
It's like mouthwash isn't it?
Old May 15, 2015, 2:55 pm
Suspended

It's like mouthwash isn't it?

Maybe. In my industry, frequency can modify behavior.
Simple translation: when consumers are exposed to the message frequently within a certain time frame, behavior can be modified (supposedly), so they will potentially buy the product or service being advertised.

Nothing is ever simple, but I'm running with it. I'll keep repeating the message that others here are also doing, that zone boarding is not exactly as described or promised by AC. Just saying.....
Old May 15, 2015, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe. In my industry, frequency can modify behavior.
Simple translation: when consumers are exposed to the message frequently within a certain time frame, behavior can be modified (supposedly), so they will potentially buy the product or service being advertised.

Nothing is ever simple, but I'm running with it. I'll keep repeating the message that others here are also doing, that zone boarding is not exactly as described or promised by AC. Just saying.....
I know. Are you saying I should just shut it and move on?

Ain't gonna happen

(ad nauseum)
Old May 15, 2015, 3:01 pm
Suspended

I know. Are you saying I should just shut it and move on?

Ain't gonna happen

(ad nauseum)

No, I thought that's what you were telling me
Old May 15, 2015, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, I thought that's what you were telling me
Uh, he!l no. Although I am critical of AC, AY knows that I don't harass him on things even though I have ample opportunity. He is a messenger here and is nice enough to put himself out here to get ripped into all the time. I am only asking (hoping) that he can comment on the zone boarding situation and clarify the protocol. If it has been updated, then so be it. I would love to see some consistency for once with AC.

Pipe dream?
Old May 15, 2015, 3:15 pm
Suspended

Uh, he!l no. Although I am critical of AC, AY knows that I don't harass him on things even though I have ample opportunity. He is a messenger here and is nice enough to put himself out here to get ripped into all the time. I am only asking (hoping) that he can comment on the zone boarding situation and clarify the protocol. If it has been updated, then so be it. I would love to see some consistency for once with AC.

Pipe dream?
I agree. The consistency is not yet there and AC at certain airports and flights ex YYZ does not seem to know how to manage the zones properly. On thing they need to do is like TG or CA and make people line up sooner and have agents check their BP's. AC makes a zone announcement in certain airports and then do not police the lines that form.At the last minute the make another announcement that seems to cause a panic in people moving about to get to their proper zones. a recent flight ex PEK had a bunch of zone 3 and 4's in the Zone 1 line because the announcement was not followed up by a BP check and it caused a major disruption at the gate itself as they turfed the lower zone pax.

Last edited by Hello again; May 15, 2015 at 3:16 pm Reason: spelling
Old May 15, 2015, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
As I mentioned, I was referring to aircraft with skycheck. Just surprised, that's all. I did not say you wouldn't have issues.
Even with shycheck on the Dash 100s and 300s,if seated in bulkhead it is important to me to get my carryon into overhead. There is no "under the seat in front of you" space for a small bag
Old May 15, 2015, 8:29 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by acysb87
Even with shycheck on the Dash 100s and 300s,if seated in bulkhead it is important to me to get my carryon into overhead. There is no "under the seat in front of you" space for a small bag
Ok, very fair point. I give you that good sir!

I guess for me I just sky check everything. But yes, I do see your very valid point.
Old May 21, 2015, 4:38 pm

Out of YUL a couple of days back, three posted lines, everyone lined up nicely. GAs just boarded everyone at once. Not a problem on an Airbus, but still not a glowing success for consistency...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.