Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2014, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
See new thread for zoned boarding from 2020 onwards.
Print Wikipost

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2015, 11:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
The details of the order to be followed are clearly listed on AC's site as noted by the links in the Wiki above.

Either they are followed - as other FTers have posted here and as I have seen with specific departures from YYZ and YVR, usually LAX and most especially, NRT - there still seems to be a fair number of AC stations where either the GAs are either not following the defined order, or making it up as they go along.

It's a mystery. This is not new, it was announced November 2014, and yet here we are.

Last edited by 24left; May 14, 2015 at 11:45 pm Reason: spelling
Old May 14, 2015, 11:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Either the message is wrong, or Andrew Y is wrong.

We really need clarification here on what the deal is. It seems so inconsistently muddled that we have no idea what to expect.
I asked the GA about it, and she said they must have pushed the wrong button.

But why does that button exist? Under what circumstances is it acceptable to board 1 and 2 together?
Old May 14, 2015, 11:57 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by canadiancow

But why does that button exist? Under what circumstances is it acceptable to board 1 and 2 together?
Beechcraft or Dash-8? No J cabin, < 50 seats and skycheck.
Old May 15, 2015, 12:19 am

Originally Posted by yvr76
So Super Elites aren't worth anything on small aircraft?

I booked 64 (I think) flights for EYW. I should keep track of how many do a separate zone 1.
Old May 15, 2015, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Perhaps this is correct, but yet again and again, I maintain that this does no jive with what AC has said all along about the process. So something needs to be explicitly clarified here by AC.
Old May 15, 2015, 3:13 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
So Super Elites aren't worth anything on small aircraft?

I booked 64 (I think) flights for EYW. I should keep track of how many do a separate zone 1.
You want separate Zone 1 and 2 boarding on a Beechcraft? It seats 18 people! I've generally seen Zone 1 & 2 called together on AC Express flights (usually Dash8s)

Agreed that on any mainline flight, it should never happen as their smallest aircraft is an E90.
Old May 15, 2015, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC

On a side note - even after these 64 flights you still won't hit 100K AQM for the year? (I'm going by what you said in the requal thread, IIRC)
Old May 15, 2015, 3:21 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
On a side note - even after these 64 flights you still won't hit 100K AQM for the year? (I'm going by what you said in the requal thread, IIRC)
If I recall, he said he earned about 30,000 AQM from those flights last year...may be less this year due to the minimum now being 250 per flight instead of 500... And then half of that for Tango.
Old May 15, 2015, 7:40 am

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
You want separate Zone 1 and 2 boarding on a Beechcraft? It seats 18 people! I've generally seen Zone 1 & 2 called together on AC Express flights (usually Dash8s)
At YXU, which is mainly DH1/DH3s they routinely call Zone 1 1st.
Old May 15, 2015, 8:13 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry

Doesn't that button / recording exist so it can be pressed / played after the initial "Zone 1 only" boarding message?
Old May 15, 2015, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ffsim
Doesn't that button / recording exist so it can be pressed / played after the initial "Zone 1 only" boarding message?
Good point.

(and congrats on 2K posts!)
Old May 15, 2015, 9:56 am

Agreed that on any mainline flight, it should never happen as their smallest aircraft is an E90.
If you accept that I don't want to stand in line outside the door of the aircraft, then it matters everywhere. That's 17 people who have to board before I can get on. They're not going to let me sit inside until everyone is seated, on board. They're going to let me sit inside until the last person scans their boarding pass. Then standing around waiting begins.

Correct. Most are very short.

Originally Posted by Plumber
If I recall, he said he earned about 30,000 AQM from those flights last year...may be less this year due to the minimum now being 250 per flight instead of 500... And then half of that for Tango.
This time looks like about 25k. The 250 mile minimum actually has a significant impact on EYW for me

And tango is 25%, not 50%.

Originally Posted by ffsim
No. It included an introduction to the process. The first message was the standard "we will be boarding by zones as printed on your boarding pass". Then one was talking about how they're starting boarding, there is priority boarding, and that means zone 1 and 2.

On another note, there was no separate zone 1 line

Last edited by canadiancow; May 15, 2015 at 11:05 am Reason: typo
Old May 15, 2015, 10:00 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
No. It included an introduction to the process. The first message was the standard "we will be boarding by zones as printed on your boarding pass". Then one was talking about how they're starting boarding, there is priority boarding, and that means some 1 and 2.
Ah. Well so much for the benefit of the doubt, eh?

(and congrats on 2K posts!)
Thanks! ^
Old May 15, 2015, 12:30 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, IHG Diamond, National Exec Elite

YES, I want them separate on Dash8's as overhead space - particularly at the front, is at a premium since sometimes you will have 6 seats for 1 small bin. On Q400's, there is no gate check and again at the front there is less available overhead space per seat. Is Zone 1 a benefit for SE's or not?
Old May 15, 2015, 1:05 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
If you accept that I don't want to stand in line outside the door of the aircraft, then it matters everywhere. That's 17 people who have to board before I can get on. They're not going to let me sit inside until everyone is seated, on board. They're going to let me sit inside until the last person scans their boarding pass. Then standing around waiting begins.

Correct. Most are very short.

This time looks like about 25k. The 250 mile minimum actually has a significant impact on EYW for me

And tango is 25%, not 50%.

No. It included an introduction to the process. The first message was the standard "we will be boarding by zones as printed on your boarding pass". Then one was talking about how they're starting boarding, there is priority boarding, and that means zone 1 and 2.

On another note, there was no separate zone 1 line
Roll eyes from me about 17 people slowing you down on a smaller prop. Is it that important when there's only a few in zone 2. We are talking about 2-5? people on a Dash 8 and less so on a B1900D. Not 17.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.