Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2014, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
See new thread for zoned boarding from 2020 onwards.
Print Wikipost

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2015, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Zoned Boarding is FAILING.

Originally Posted by Yyttraveler
Nope. Just a generalized "everyone board now" announcement.
Yeah, this system is clearly failing. Looks like it is complete discretion of the staff.
Old May 24, 2015, 1:25 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Yeah, this system is clearly failing. Looks like it is complete discretion of the staff.
Like all other changes introduced by AC in recent years? It is becoming clear that Air Canada can't even sort out the mess left behind by a previous change before introducing a new one. I once worked for a large corporation that changed their Capex process every quarter (at least during the time I managed Capex) and the end result was most affected employees became disengaged and just did whatever they felt comfortable or felt they could get away with.

Air Canada should either make all the changes at once and suffer a few months of chaos before things improve with consistent enforcement and audit from management, or ensure the previous change is already solidly and consistently implemented before introducing another change.
Old May 24, 2015, 4:13 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Did a search and couldn't find the answer...

Do United 1Ks get Zone 1 boarding on AC? As an AC SE100K, I've been getting Zone 1 on UA for quite a while now.
Old May 24, 2015, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Jebby_ca
Did a search and couldn't find the answer...

Do United 1Ks get Zone 1 boarding on AC? As an AC SE100K, I've been getting Zone 1 on UA for quite a while now.
As per the wiki, all non-AC *G is zone 2.

Zone 1 is strictly J and S100K.
Old May 24, 2015, 5:10 pm
Suspended

I think that if AC colour coded the BP's and made the signs match it would work a lot better. Of course that would cause chaos with printers everywhere but something similar might work better.

Last edited by Hello again; May 25, 2015 at 7:10 pm
Old May 24, 2015, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad
As per the wiki, all non-AC *G is zone 2.

Zone 1 is strictly J and S100K.
I've seen United 1Ks board with zone 1 - didn't see their boarding pass, but they had a 1K baggage tag on their carry-on. Guess Zone 1 boarding isn't being enforced properly, or 1Ks are getting an unofficial benefit like SE100Ks are on UA.
Old May 24, 2015, 7:23 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I've seen United 1Ks board with zone 1 - didn't see their boarding pass, but they had a 1K baggage tag on their carry-on. Guess Zone 1 boarding isn't being enforced properly, or 1Ks are getting an unofficial benefit like SE100Ks are on UA.
Or the 1K was also in J? If you're in J, you're always in Zone 1, regardless of status.

I think the exception to this is a non-rev. I've seen a couple boarding passes left in the seat jacket pocket over the last few months that have "TL" under the name, ML*5/C2 in the Remarks, and Zone 2, despite being in J.
Old May 24, 2015, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by yvr76
Or the 1K was also in J? If you're in J, you're always in Zone 1, regardless of status.
Nope, not in J. They weren't even in rouge Plus or the Preferred Seats. Y-, just like me when I fly UA.
Old May 25, 2015, 3:04 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Total sh!tshow on AC718 YYZ-LGA just now.

No separate zone 1 and zone 2 signs, just 1-2 and 3-5.

The GA announces we'll be boarding zones 1 and 2.

Then they play the automated announcement where the voice says boarding zone 1.

Of course, most of the people were zone 2 and were boarded.

Come on guys, it's not that fricking hard to say "zone 1", board zone 1, then say "zone 2" and board zone 2.

On the other hand, YYC seems to handle this fine. Zone 1 boarded separately on AC140 this morning despite the same 1-2/3-5 signage and I don't recall an incident where zone 1 hasn't boarded separately in YYC.

(Although I haven't checked my own posts up-thread, perhaps I was railing a few months ago about non-compliance at YYC )
Old May 25, 2015, 4:45 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, IHG Diamond, National Exec Elite
YYC was a failure today on 8551 to YYJ on a Q400 - Called zones 1 & 2 together and there were several SEs on the flight. YYJ did a great job on a Dash 8 by calling "Now boarding Zone 1 and only Zone 1"
Old May 25, 2015, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It isn't enforced properly.
Old May 25, 2015, 5:24 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Color me surprised, but I think it's finally starting to go right for me.

Another two datapoints: AC1167 on May 22nd and AC 1176 on May 24th both bang on.
Old May 25, 2015, 5:56 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
What? Unless I've paid for J, UA treats me no differently than an E50K or one of their own, lesser tiers, or any other *G. I don't think I've ever received any recognition from UA for being SE, e.g. my BPs are always Zone 2 unless in J.

As far as I'm concerned, unless there's some reciprocation, UA 1Ks shouldn't get any better treatment on AC than any other *G.
Old May 25, 2015, 6:19 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive- Blue, Lifemiles, AA Advantage, VIA Rail Preference, Iberia Plus
A bit late, but thought I'd give my experience.
During the long weekend I flew from YYZ - YHZ.
Both flights had zones boarding with gate attendants telling people that they hadn't been called yet and to wait.
No one I saw was able to go ahead.

My question is, how do I get zone 3 consistently?
From what I could tell, they weren't boarding back to front or anything. It was random, but just by zones.
Old May 25, 2015, 10:23 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by iceblueshoes
A bit late, but thought I'd give my experience.
During the long weekend I flew from YYZ - YHZ.
Both flights had zones boarding with gate attendants telling people that they hadn't been called yet and to wait.
No one I saw was able to go ahead.

My question is, how do I get zone 3 consistently?
From what I could tell, they weren't boarding back to front or anything. It was random, but just by zones.
I don't think you can. I thought I read on here that the back of the bus is zone 3, and the front of Y is zone 5. Are you saying that you were at the back of the airplane? What zone were you in?

Maybe it was a smaller bird (I don't fly that route usually so I don't know), perhaps they omitted zone 3 as there wasn't enough people and so zone 4 became back of the bus and zone 5 was the front of Y?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.