Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2014, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
See new thread for zoned boarding from 2020 onwards.
Print Wikipost

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2015, 10:40 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by yyznomad
It is apparent that GA staff either are unable to, or unwilling to conform to the simple protocol.

Although I commend AC for trying, this whole zoned boarding thing is failing miserably I hate to say.
At least they verbally did zone boarding right in my case fwiw...the signs were messed up but that was all that's wrong. Damn non zone oners.
Old May 30, 2015, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
At least they verbally did zone boarding right in my case fwiw...the signs were messed up but that was all that's wrong. Damn non zone oners.
Are you enabling mediocrity again? You gotta stop it.
Old May 30, 2015, 12:36 pm

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Miracles of miracles today at IAH. They boarded by zone PROPERLY! Zone 1 was called first and all by itself. Then zone 2. I was long gone by the time time they called anything else but I assume it was done right.
Old May 30, 2015, 2:01 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
It is apparent that GA staff either are unable to, or unwilling to conform to the simple protocol.

Although I commend AC for trying, this whole zoned boarding thing is failing miserably I hate to say.
Maybe I'm overly optimistic, but I'd like to think they can still get this right. YYC boarded Zone 1 separately on AC217 just now.

As an economist, I'd suggest that if GAs aren't complying, AC doesn't have proper incentives in place. Make it clear that this is official policy, it's not changing and they need to get with the program or there will be consequences. Suspensions or whatever they're allowed under the CBA.

The computer system tracks the order in which BBs are scanned, doesn't it? That could be used to monitor compliance.
Old May 30, 2015, 2:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
AC 8263 YVR-YCD.

Passengers needing assistance and those with infants.
Also boarding zones 1 and 2.

Edit: But she questioned my zone 3 traveling companion. Like... You butchered it so much, I'm not sure why you bothered.

Last edited by canadiancow; May 30, 2015 at 3:08 pm
Old May 30, 2015, 3:36 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by canadiancow
AC 8263 YVR-YCD.

Passengers needing assistance and those with infants.
Also boarding zones 1 and 2.

Edit: But she questioned my zone 3 traveling companion. Like... You butchered it so much, I'm not sure why you bothered.
Technically if they're not on the same PNR, then they have to be immediately family. But the protocol is:

- pax needing wheelchair assistance
- zone 1
- zone 2
- passengers needing more time + families under age of 6

If she follow that, and then questioned your Zone 3 traveling companion (assuming they're not immediate family) then she might have a point.
Old May 30, 2015, 3:44 pm

She did all three things I mentioned at the same time.

And he is on my PNR.
Old May 30, 2015, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
She did all three things I mentioned at the same time.

And he is on my PNR.
How is that possible? Do you not have your Aeroplan attached to the reservation, or is this a reward ticket booked by someone else?
Old May 30, 2015, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by yvr76
How is that possible? Do you not have your Aeroplan attached to the reservation, or is this a reward ticket booked by someone else?
My BP said 1, his said 3.
Old May 30, 2015, 8:05 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Apparently the concierge said that "many people were complaining about being in Zone 2 so it was decided to have them board using the same lane".
That's hilarious! How does that even make any sense??

Originally Posted by yvr76
Technically if they're not on the same PNR, then they have to be immediately family.
I must've missed this... Where is "travelling companion" defined as "immediate family"?
Old May 30, 2015, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by ffsim
I must've missed this... Where is "travelling companion" defined as "immediate family"?
http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...g-by-zone.html

Travel companions of Altitude Super Elite 100K, Elite 75K, 50K, 35K and Star Alliance Gold customers as well as select TD/CIBC credit card holders booked on the same reservation and checking in at the same time will receive the same boarding zone as the Altitude member or credit card holder (excluding group bookings).

Immediate family members (including spouse, common-law, same sex partner and dependent children) may board at the same time as Altitude Super Elite 100K, Elite 75K, 50K, 35K or Star Alliance member, even if not travelling on the same reservation.
Old May 30, 2015, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by ffsim
That's hilarious! How does that even make any sense??
Beats me. Either it was the rookie concierge who was "trying" but clearly didn't get it, or the GAs decided to make up their own a$se9 rules. The whole thing was just ridiculous.
Old May 31, 2015, 12:26 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Interesting, thanks. Although my reading of that is the same PNR requirement applies to CIBC / TD cardholders only. Either way, "this person is with me" has always worked and should continue to work. It's not like it's in an Altituder's best interest to abuse the privilege.
Old May 31, 2015, 2:22 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
AC 1136 with Cow just now. Very annoyed. Zonal boarding worked fine but 4 people boarded in zone 0 and they were not in wheelchairs. Unfreaking real.

Last edited by superangrypenguin; May 31, 2015 at 2:52 pm
Old May 31, 2015, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
AC 1136 with Cow just now. Very annoyed. Zonal boarding worked fine but 4 people boarded in zone 0 and they were not in wheelchairs. Unfreaking real.
I guess everyone has a different threshold. I've only been really frustrated twice, where there was no semblance of priority boarding at all, never mind zone 1 or 2.

Reserve judgement until you know that actual situation. 4 pax could have been VIPs, in which case they would have likely been offered advanced boarding. There are also some physical conditions (e.g. MS) that don't require you to actively be in a wheelchair, but I would not fault a pax for wanting to board in advance (ahead of Zone 1).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.