Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2014, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
See new thread for zoned boarding from 2020 onwards.
Print Wikipost

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2015, 8:52 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100k, AS MVP Gold, National EE, SPG Platinum, HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Diamond
In YQR this morning flying to YYC and they called Z1 and Z2 together. I was the only Z1 on board and probably 9 or 10 to board. GA also asked if I had my bags tagged, can't you just call the zones properly and look over at my bags and see if they're tagged?
Old Jun 15, 2015, 8:55 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Adam.Smith had a checklist idea. I'm all for it! That's what drives down lack of consistency and error issues with surgery/flying (e.g. pilot checklists). This may be a great idea for GA who are so inept it's a wonder that they remember to breathe.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 11:35 am

Programs: AC SE MM, IHG Diamond, National Exec Elite
After several frustrating Zone 1 & 2 called together incidents, I sent a PM to Ben L to check if that was the new way for smaller aircraft since it appears to be getting worse rather than better. He indicated that Zone 1 was to be called separately on ALL aircraft and would be passing on the feedback.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 11:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DNAwizard
The other agent besides her bluntly answered "when there are only a few Z1, we do Z1 and Z2 together"
That completely defeats the purpose of zone 1.

Originally Posted by SearsTower
After several frustrating Zone 1 & 2 called together incidents, I sent a PM to Ben L to check if that was the new way for smaller aircraft since it appears to be getting worse rather than better. He indicated that Zone 1 was to be called separately on ALL aircraft and would be passing on the feedback.
Good. It's just so inconsistent.

If there are people in zone 1, call zone 1, wait at least ten full seconds, and see if anyone is coming forward.

If not (or if they all board sooner), call zone 2.

But when there are zone 2 lice everywhere, you can't just say "oh well I don't see anyone coming forward" after half a second and move onto 2.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 11:45 am

Programs: AC SE MM, IHG Diamond, National Exec Elite
I actually find myself standing closer to the line-up now as I am so tired of Zone 2's rushing in and getting the overhead space on smaller aircraft. I quite regularly am in 1C and don't have much if any space overhead.

At least I don't meet the Cow's definition of gate lice since I am Zone 1
Old Jun 15, 2015, 12:13 pm

I actually find myself standing closer to the line-up now as I am so tired of Zone 2's rushing in and getting the overhead space on smaller aircraft. I quite regularly am in 1C and don't have much if any space overhead.

At least I don't meet the Cow's definition of gate lice since I am Zone 1
I do the same thing now on small aircraft.

The funny thing is, they say they aren't doing it on small aircraft because there are so few people in zone 1, but that's when I NEED zone 1 (for the bin space).

If I'm in J on a 77W, I'm quite happy to board last. I'm still going to have enough space for three rollers.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by DNAwizard
Out of YQB, it is usually Z1 and Z2 together. Usually on Q400 but regardless it is (or should be) about consistency.

A couple of weeks ago, the first recording for boarding was "we now continue boarding AC flight x with passengers seated in zones 1 and 2...". As a Z1er, I walked up to the podium and asked naively if boarding had already started and I had missed the first announcement since the recording was "we continue boarding" and the agent looked surprised and did not know what or how to answer. The other agent besides her bluntly answered "when there are only a few Z1, we do Z1 and Z2 together" !!! Well I'm quite sure this is not SOP

Obviously, agents know the rules but willingly decide to ignore them and make their own at will.
Looks like GAs get to do whatever they want...

1) Upgrade anyone they feel like outside of protocol ( )
2) Call zone boarding (if they want to), and if they do call zone boarding, they will do as they please.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 12:34 am

Programs: *$ Green
At this point, it would be nice if someone from AC (wink wink) could manage the expectations and just say:

Hey. I know you are mad at the Z1/2 boarding at the same time, but we have decided that under certain conditions (x aircraft size, y Z1 pax) we will board both at once.
#ManagingExpectations

If AC can't afford the training time/cost, then it should just make a 3 page ppt présentation on managing expectation to all its frontline staff.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 5:07 am

That's stupid. It doesn't matter how few are in zone 1. What matters is the combined size of 1 and 2.

If there's 1 zone 1 and 25 zone 2 on a DH3 (not too uncommon on some routes and some times), they need to do it separately.

If there's 1 zone 1 and 3 zone 2, I don't really care.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 6:06 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
At this point, it would be nice if someone from AC (wink wink) could manage the expectations and just say:

#ManagingExpectations

If AC can't afford the training time/cost, then it should just make a 3 page ppt présentation on managing expectation to all its frontline staff.
Lets walk before we run ok?
Old Jun 16, 2015, 8:46 am

AC 8710 YUL-YQB.

Deadheading crew (captain, first officer, and flight attendant) were invited to board first.

Then "zones one and two" were called.

Aren't employees supposed to board last?
Old Jun 16, 2015, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
AC 8710 YUL-YQB.

Deadheading crew (captain, first officer, and flight attendant) were invited to board first.

Then "zones one and two" were called.

Did they actually announce that?
Old Jun 16, 2015, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by mromalley
Did they actually announce that?
The deadheading? No. But it happened.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 10:10 am

AC 8713 YQB-YUL

Automated announcement for zone 1.

There were 7 of us!

They played the 1+2 before I got out of earshot, but no one else seemed to be walking to the podium.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 10:28 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
^ Let's hope this has an impact.

That completely defeats the purpose of zone 1.

[...]

If there are people in zone 1, call zone 1, wait at least ten full seconds, and see if anyone is coming forward.

If not (or if they all board sooner), call zone 2.

But when there are zone 2 lice everywhere, you can't just say "oh well I don't see anyone coming forward" after half a second and move onto 2.
That's stupid. It doesn't matter how few are in zone 1. What matters is the combined size of 1 and 2.

If there's 1 zone 1 and 25 zone 2 on a DH3 (not too uncommon on some routes and some times), they need to do it separately.

If there's 1 zone 1 and 3 zone 2, I don't really care.
Agreed 100%.

Whether or not that's what the rules say, don't they usually board first? I have frequently been the first person to board during actual boarding and often find a captain already ensconced in J, with his hat up in the bin, and sometimes other employees.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.