Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2014, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
See new thread for zoned boarding from 2020 onwards.
Print Wikipost

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2015, 10:56 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
So - I know this won't win any hearts around here, but what is the strategy for getting a higher zone WITHOUT getting status or purchasing a J ticket?

Essentially how does one get into Zone 3, instead of Zones 4 or 5?

I picked seats closest to the front of the plane. I was Zone 5 TCON widebody and Zone 4 on a short connection. I don't understand why it would change mid trip.

I am seeking bin space on my occasional Ac flights these days. Is the new strategy to pick the last row of the plane to get Zone 3?
Yeah, Z3 is the back of the bus.

You could get a credit card that gives Z2 boarding (if you are willing to pay).
Old May 11, 2015, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
AC001 Gate E70 May 7, 2015

I get to gate. Wheelchair boarding was just commencing so i walk up to the Zone 1 roped off entrance.

There are three lanes.

Left = Wheelchair and Zone 3-5
Middle = no sign
Right = Zone 1 and Zone 2

The right lane has two separate signs: one says Zone 1 and the other says Zone 2. Both signs are on each side of the lane and are pointing inward to the same lane on the right.

I ask the newbie concierge (forgot her name) if that was a mistake. She said that originally they had signs with both Zone 1 and 2 printed on it, but now they have separate signs (ok, nothing new to me). I then asked shouldn't the Zone 2 sign point to the middle lane. She then said that due to "complaints" they are boarding Zone 1 and Zone 2 in the same lane.

I'm sorry AC, but this is the most asinine thing I've heard in a while.

You mean to tell me you spent extra money to create separate Zone 2 signs only to have two different signs now point to one lane?!

BRILLIANT. Sign me up, Einstein.

(and again, those who know me here know i don't take pictures because I hate taking pictures - so you'll have to take my inexperienced word for it... all 225k AQMs of it this calendar year alone... but what do I know)
Old May 11, 2015, 8:56 am

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by yyznomad
She then said that due to "complaints" they are boarding Zone 1 and Zone 2 in the same lane.

You mean to tell me you spent extra money to create separate Zone 2 signs only to have two different signs now point to one lane?!

I guess we have to make sure that they get enough complaints that they point them in different lanes
Old May 11, 2015, 9:15 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
I get to gate. Wheelchair boarding was just commencing so i walk up to the Zone 1 roped off entrance.

There are three lanes.

Middle = no sign

The right lane has two separate signs: one says Zone 1 and the other says Zone 2. Both signs are on each side of the lane and are pointing inward to the same lane on the right.

I ask the newbie concierge (forgot her name) if that was a mistake. She said that originally they had signs with both Zone 1 and 2 printed on it, but now they have separate signs (ok, nothing new to me). I then asked shouldn't the Zone 2 sign point to the middle lane. She then said that due to "complaints" they are boarding Zone 1 and Zone 2 in the same lane.

(and again, those who know me here know i don't take pictures because I hate taking pictures - so you'll have to take my inexperienced word for it... all 225k AQMs of it this calendar year alone... but what do I know)
Wow. 5* airline. Right???

Rolling my eyes like no ones business right now.

It would be useful to post info though. Like what gate, when and perhaps even which flight. That way Andrew/Ben can follow up
Old May 11, 2015, 9:42 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Wow. 5* airline. Right???

Rolling my eyes like no ones business right now.

It would be useful to post info though. Like what gate, when and perhaps even which flight. That way Andrew/Ben can follow up

He posted the gate in his subject line: "AC001 Gate E70 May 7, 2015"

It is not the first bit of insanity at the international departures YYZ.
Read Geoflying's post upthread with photo. (post # 1774)
There have been other similar adventures.

It seems some GAs just make up the rules as they go along, either because it suits them or they don't know the rules, or don't care.

IMHO, Ben/Andrew are not the Boarding Police.
Old May 11, 2015, 9:59 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by 24left
He posted the gate in his subject line: "AC001 Gate E70 May 7, 2015"

It is not the first bit of insanity at the international departures YYZ.
Read Geoflying's post upthread with photo. (post # 1774)
There have been other similar adventures.

It seems some GAs just make up the rules as they go along, either because it suits them or they don't know the rules, or don't care.

IMHO, Ben/Andrew are not the Boarding Police.
Oops. My bad. I guess I shouldn't FT while trying to get through security.
Old May 11, 2015, 10:16 am

There are three lanes.

Middle = no sign

Wait, wait, wait. Was the boarding process horrible at NRT?

When I was there, I don't remember if they had the signage yet.

Nonetheless, Zone boarding was executed flawlessly.

How was the actual boarding process?
Old May 11, 2015, 10:19 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
Wait, wait, wait. Was the boarding process horrible at NRT?

When I was there, I don't remember if they had the signage yet.

Nonetheless, Zone boarding was executed flawlessly.

How was the actual boarding process?

Apparently you are ALSO NOT READING the detail.

Previous page yyznomad and I were praising NRT boarding.

This post refers to YYZ.

Go back to his original post and read the subject line, or look upwards
Old May 11, 2015, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by 24left
Apparently you are ALSO NOT READING the detail.

Previous page yyznomad and I were praising NRT boarding.

This post refers to YYZ.

Go back to his original post and read the subject line, or look upwards
OOOOOOOOOOPS.

Then yeah, the YUL agents say that a LOT of people are complaining about the new zone boarding.

What's wrong with the new zone boarding?
Old May 11, 2015, 11:22 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Then yeah, the YUL agents say that a LOT of people are complaining about the new zone boarding.
- Anyone in Zone 1 will complain that it's not correctly enforced allowing them to board ahead of Zone 2.
- Anyone in Zone 2 will complain they don't get to board first anymore.
- Anyone in Zone 1/2 will complain that in some cases it's a complete free for all and Zone 3-5 use the priority lanes.
Old May 11, 2015, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by yvr76
- Anyone in Zone 1 will complain that it's not correctly enforced allowing them to board ahead of Zone 2.
- Anyone in Zone 1/2 will complain that in some cases it's a complete free for all and Zone 3-5 use the priority lanes.
So who's to blame? The system, or the users?
Old May 11, 2015, 3:42 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

YYZ YOW AC450 today. Perfect zonal boarding.
Old May 11, 2015, 4:46 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
So who's to blame? The system, or the users?
In my experience it's a combination of the gate agents and customers. And whenever you have a large set of non-compliant customers, it takes a very committed gate agent to enforce zoned boarding.
Old May 11, 2015, 5:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver

What's wrong with the new zone boarding?
Worked well for me in YUL yesterday boarding zone 1 seated in business class.
Old May 11, 2015, 5:27 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
Originally Posted by yvr76
Don't forget

- Anyone in Zone 1 will complain about the abuse of wheelchairs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.